Ubuntu Linux Vs. Windows Vista: The Battle For Your Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITTechPerson

Search for Adventure
@blueshift ..... from which site u ordered the cd ? pls update us, also make a comment about the time gap of reciving the cd.

mediator

Technomancer
amitava82 said:
BTW i don't think his friend is facing any problem, he just missed the CD icon on the Desktop. Remember "Linux is not windows, So don't expect to use it like windows".
Why do u even need to reply man, he already made a lasting impression with his statement!
Windows is perfectly packaged with all the basic needs in one single hassle free installation.
But he missed that basic needs like office,messenger etc are there in linux distros! And now he wants others to believe cdrom wasn't detected? :oops:
U can guess about the person's experience and attitude if he is biased or not from such statements!

amitava82

MMO Addict
Well.. My laptop is useless crap with default installation of Windows until i install all the drivers. My Wifi (most important for me) does not work, no WLAN, Sound, Graphics acceleration, Bluetooth, in built Card reader - none of them work until i install drivers. Thats quite hassle free installation for me.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Digit_Dragon said:
Windows is perfectly packaged with all the basic needs in one single hassle free installation.

as i'd said in one of the other threads, try sabayon/freespire/dreamlinux before jumping into a more "unix"ish distro like ubuntu. i'm sure u'll haf nothing to complain.

if u are one of those who knows absolutely nothing but windows then freespire will help u migrate to linux. if u believe ur computing skills are intermediate try dreamlinux. if u believe in getting everything out of the box and think ur skills lie between intermediate and advanced and are ready to learn new things try sabayon.

but if u are of the adventerous kind and love trying out new software and ready to learn things jump into ubuntu directly!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ nope it is not. u'll hafta purchase ubuntu dvd, if u want it shipped or u can download it for free.

u can download it from here:
*nginyang.uvt.nl/feisty/

Last edited:

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
infra_red_dude said:
^^^ nope it is not. u'll hafta purchase ubuntu dvd, if u want it shipped or u can download it for free.

u can download it from here:
*nginyang.uvt.nl/feisty/
well i downloaded freespire bout 6months back but the installer stuck at the first phase :(

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
hmmm... yeah it mite've quirks. thats version 1.0. there've been some changes. its now ver.1.0.13. u may try it out. or u may the ver.2.0 alpha.

ver.1.0.13 ran fine on vmware in windows xp for me.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
I'd suggest Sabayon as the first distro for people new to linux to try.. Most of the people here would not be able to help if you run freespire as hardly anyone uses/has used freespire..

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
I once made a random suggestion to a friend to use Sabayon, (by her own admission she had a hard time even working through windows). Well, she set it up herself (no help/tips etc. needed) and she switched to it, from vista :)

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
it's not that i'm New to Linux , i currently have Kubuntu , along with XP n OSX n am triple booting very happily :D

i have all Codecs n multimedia things set up on Kubuntu , but it's always good to try a new Distro(coz now i have the disk space to do so)

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
ITTechPerson said:
@blueshift ..... from which site u ordered the cd ? pls update us, also make a comment about the time gap of reciving the cd.

Wo...finally I received the Ubuntu CD on Saturday 9 of this month. Its in perfect condition. No money was charged.
I will install it once I clean my system.

sabret00the

Youngling
today recieved 2 cds of the CDs of the latest version ubuntu (7.04) Feisty Fawn - one is a 64bit and another is a 32bit PC Edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom