Ubuntu Hardy Alpha Outperforms Windows Vista Ultimate in NVIDIA Workstation Benchmark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you may not believe that these days, Windows Vista Ultimate is loosing to Ubuntu Linux in what was once said to be the thing the Redmond Operating System is best at - Graphics.

Here is a benchmark test for nVidia's Quadro FX1700 512MB on Canonical Ubuntu 8.04 Alpha 5, Sun Solaris Express Developer 1/08, and Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate. And from what the graphs show, Ubuntu and Solaris beat Windows by a huge margin, and ubuntu in turn beats solaris several times by good margins.

Read On...

Source: phoronix

Ecko

Wandering In Tecno Land
Re: Ubuntu Hardy Alpha Outperforms Windows Vista Ultimate in NVIDIA Workstation Bench

WOW
& Vista Su*ks once more !!!

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Re: Ubuntu Hardy Alpha Outperforms Windows Vista Ultimate in NVIDIA Workstation Bench

^^nope, Ubuntu excels more

praka123

left this forum longback

WoW is now with Ubuntu! :D

CadCrazy

in search of myself

I'am very happy to see that Ubuntu on top. Basically a mechanical engineer working as design engineer (3D CAD). Main 3d CAD software used in the industry are Catia V5, Unigraphics NX( UG NX), Pro-E, Solidworks (SW). In every software test ubuntu outperformed other.
I wish Ubuntu to become mainstream OS in 3d CAD workstations both from HP & DELL .

praka123

left this forum longback

^autodesk's software are not yet available natively for Linux/BSD :( including autocad,3dmax et al :(

CadCrazy

in search of myself

I don't use them(Max or autocad). As said earlier I Use Catia, Pro-E, Solidworks & Unigraphics(to some extent)

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack

[offtopic] cadcrazy where r you working ? :D

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

but wats the point unless we have game developers making efficient use of this or professional applications being ported to linux this is of very less use to the end user

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity

Great........Open Source and Linux is the future ! :evil:

but the problem is that the review is related only to nVidia. the AMD solution is yet to be tested.
So we can't start clapping now till those guys post the scheduleded ati review in a few weeks.

And I still can't believe that it was an ALPHA STATE OPERATING SYSTEM that beat Microsoft's biggest fish.

Just imagine what a fully customised and self compiled version of the final releae can do !

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

Im really anxious to see how hardy does once I get it myself. I see that the manufacturer of my Tv Tuner ard has released Vista drivers for the thingie :) . So now Im going to try that out and see how it does myself :)

By the way if anyone is interested in just the summary of the test on Phoronix here it is.

Ubuntu 8.04 Alpha 5 with the 169.12 driver had overall produced the fastest results within SPECViewPerf. In only three benchmarks had Solaris Express Developer 1/08 outpaced Ubuntu Linux, but with two of these tests the results were almost identical. These three tests were Maya (maya-02), UGS NX (ugnx-01), and UGS Teamcenter Visualization Mockup (tcvis-01). In the rest of the OpenGL tests, Solaris Express and Windows Vista were fighting for second place. In six out of the nine tests, Windows Vista was in last place. For those interested in NVIDIA's Quadro series for CUDA (Compute Unified Device Architecture; NVIDIA's GPGPU implementation), this technology is supported in NVIDIA's binary Linux driver.

Source the same Link as MetalHeadGautham pointed to.

PCWORM

UBERGEEK

Hmm,,nice info.....btw is Ubuntu 8.04 avail now?
im on suse rite now

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume

but wats the point unless we have game developers making efficient use of this or professional applications being ported to linux this is of very less use to the end user

Games, who's talking about games here? Do you know what workstation are for?

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!

nice info...wake up ms before its too late...

x3060

A LOTR fan

now thats an amazing achievement :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom