Ubuntu Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
someone help me who's the indian distributor/co-publisher for nostarch's "The Debian System-Concepts and Techniques"

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Prakash. You need that book for you or for your friend? That's the "No Starch Press" book click here
It contains 608 pages. Also comes with a DVD. Written by Martin F. Krafft.
It's available from Shroff Publishers in India

Shroff Publishers & Distributors Pvt. Ltd.
C-103, TTC Industrial Area
MIDC, Pawane
Navi Mumbai 400 701
India
Tel: 91-22-2763-4290, 91-22-2768-9126 Ext. 120, 121
Fax: 91-22-2768-3337
Email : spdorders@shroffpublishers.com

Last edited:

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
i just started reading this book.
here is the list of chapter they have covered
Let's take a look at the range of chapters included in the book and what each covers.

Chapter 1Introducing Ubuntu: Spirited introduction to the Ubuntu project, its distribution, its development processes, and some of the history that made it all possible.

Chapter 2Installing Ubuntu: Run through the installation process one step at a time, and get Ubuntu ready to run on your computer.

Chapter 3Using Ubuntu on the Desktop: Take a whistle-stop tour of the Ubuntu desktop, the applications included, and explore ways to configure your desktop.

Chapter 4Advanced Usage and Managing Ubuntu: Explore some of the advanced ways to use Ubuntu, including managing the system. Learn how to install and manage software, use hardware devices and printers, interact with remote computers, use the terminal, and run some Windows programs under Ubuntu.

Chapter 5The Ubuntu Server: Introduces Ubuntu Server installation and administration, including coverage of console-line package management, basic security topics, and advanced installer features such as logical volume management (LVM) and RAID.

Chapter 6Support and Typical Problems: Packed to the seams with lots of small, independent recipes so you can learn how to solve common problems or meet requirements.

Chapter 7Using Kubuntu: The most popular spin-off project from Ubuntu is Kubuntu. This chapter provides a solid primer for getting started.

Chapter 8The Ubuntu Community: Understand the breadth of the Ubuntu community, including what folks do to build, promote, distribute, support, document, translate, and advocate Ubuntuand find out what you can do to join in the fun.

Chapter 9Ubuntu Related Projects: Explore the universe of other distributions that surround Ubuntu, including Edubuntu and nUbuntu.

Appendix AWelcome to the Command Line: Take advantage of the power of the command line with the clear, easy-to-use examples in this brief primer.

Appendix BCore Ubuntu Documents: Review some of the key documents that define Ubuntu, including the Code of Conduct, the Ubuntu Licensing Policy, the Ubuntu Philosophy, and the Description of Ubuntu Components.

Appendix CCreative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Open Publication License.

Appendix DUbuntu Equivalents to Windows Programs.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Prakash, Just send The Shroff Publishers an email about the cost of the book + courier charges.
After that get a DD from a nationalised bank for the amount (they specified).
Send the DD with a request letter. That's all. The Shroff Publishers will send the book
to your home address by courier!!

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
nah i am talking about official Ubuntu book. if u have good knowledge of Ubuntu os than my suggestion is don't buy this book . but if ur new to linux or deian based system than only purchase this book.

praka123

left this forum longback
@Jguru:shroff publishers are prompt in service.they guided this to Chennai Branch and they had send to me this as VPP ;)
Book:"The Debian System-c&t) RS 650/- though :(

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Prakash, They (Shroff Publishers) are very good. In fact I'm a regular buyer of JAVA
books from them!! You can't blame them for the price. The paper costs are rising every year!!

praka123

left this forum longback
@nitish:
this book is for ppl who wants some advanced knowledge in Debian System as a whole.so for a n00b tis not recomnd.
the book is The Debian System-Concepts and Techniques
by Martin F. Krafft

Despite its reputation as an operating system exclusively for professionals and hardcore computer hobbyists, Debian's open development cycle and strict quality control have helped it to gain popularity. With an installed base that’s growing annually by an estimated 25 percent, Debian clearly has its fair share of fans (not to mention the newsmaking Debian-based Linux distributions such as Knoppix, Ubuntu, and Xandros).

Unlike other popular Linux distributions, the Debian GNU/Linux operating system favors text-based configuration over graphical user interfaces (GUIs). In The Debian System, author Martin Krafft, an experienced Debian developer, introduces the concept of the Debian operating system, and explains how to use its various tools and techniques as well as the pitfalls and the thinking behind each. Debian may appear simplistic, but it is actually quite robust, scalable, and secure. After reading The Debian System, you’ll see that strict adherence to standards, highly experienced developers, a clear vision and goals, and a certain degree of academic perfection make Debian the exceptional system that it is today.
*www.nostarch.com/frameset.php?startat=debian
*debiansystem.info/
3937514074 DEBIAN SYSTEM (B/DVD) : CONCEPTS AND TECHNIQUES by KRAFFT Rs.650/- includes VPP charges
shroff publishers,Mumbai/Chennai
@Jguru:waiting for da book:VPP Kab Aayega kisko pata :confused: \ |

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Prakash, If they have the book with them right now. You'll get it within a week.
Sometimes it takes 2 weeks or 1 month. It really depends on the availability & stocks.

@Nitish, You better start with a good book in Fedora Core 5 Linux.

OP
M

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
This is the ubuntu book I was talking about *www.phptr.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=0132435942&rl=1.
@prakash I got the book for Rs. 550 after discounts from a nearby book store.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Nitish, If you are so interested in Ubuntu Linux. You can buy the Official Ubuntu Book
by Benjamin Mako Hill, Jono Bacon, Corey Burger + others. Published by Prentice Hall.

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
best place to learn each and every thing about linux is
*www.tldp.org/

Linux documentation project site.

they have huge documentation of Linux and u can download those documentation at free of cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom