Ubuntu Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Has anybody purchased this book? Is it available at book stores or only for online purchase? Is it worth buying. If it covers some advanced topics on system management using debain tools, more on apt and package management and stuff, I'd like to buy the book. I have some saved up, so if it is a good book I may consider purchasing it.
And it seems it has some info on ubuntu community, so if the topic coverage is good, I feel it would be nice to buy it.
Your opinions plz.

mediator

Technomancer
I dunno about the book, u can get it from @red_hat or even thru a little googling. Thats easy.
But here's a wonderful link on Ubuntu I bookmarked recently. U may like to look at it!

*ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edgy

Its a complete guide I guess.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
mehul, i've seen that book by just flipping the pages. a student had got a copy of it from british council library. Its an excellent starter book. and covers how to do stuff using GUI whereever possible (atleast i saw several screenshots in it).

but for you i'd highly highly recommend to get The Debian System *debiansystem.info/
i highly look forward to buying that book. if you do buy it then i'd like to read it for a week

[edit]
karthik (#linux-india) has got a copy of it couple of weeks back from SPD for INR650 *kartik.freemind.in/blog/?p=264

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
i think ubuntu unleashed would be a better choice as u can get the basic info from ubuntuguide.org , etc n other free online resources n then get the advance info from ubuntu unleashed .

praka123

left this forum longback
red_hat said:
Ubuntu Official Book
I think u r talking about this book.It has a good reviews costs somewhere around $23.09.

I have this ebook in .chm format so if u guys wants that then I will up it
dont talk here about warez?or is it warez

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
@piyush619 it is about something:) read and chk out ur self as u already have that book in chm format

Last edited:
OP
M

mehulved

GNUrag said:
mehul, i've seen that book by just flipping the pages. a student had got a copy of it from british council library. Its an excellent starter book. and covers how to do stuff using GUI whereever possible (atleast i saw several screenshots in it).

but for you i'd highly highly recommend to get The Debian System *debiansystem.info/
i highly look forward to buying that book. if you do buy it then i'd like to read it for a week

[edit]
karthik (#linux-india) has got a copy of it couple of weeks back from SPD for INR650 *kartik.freemind.in/blog/?p=264
Oye BCL mein yeh book aa gayi hain, I am a member there will go and check it out then.
What's the cost of 'The Debain System'? If it's less then 1K I can buy it. Sure, I can lend it to you for a few days too. Rs. 650 is the cost of which book?

OP
M

mehulved

There are two versions of the Debian book but I guess only 1 is for India. So, will check it out ASAP.

OP
M

mehulved

OK I bought 'The Debian System' by Open Source press for Rs. 550 from a bookstore at CST.

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
Well I m too a Linux enthsiast......
I hv tried Linux once(with the help of tech_your_future,Jguru,Satish,gary4gar,GNUag managed to work on it...........
)
Everytime I wanted top learn something I had to post on forum,bug the members of forum!!!

I wll b back for my winter vacations,wll again work on Linux!
Most of the Online tutorials suppose tht u have an unlimited broadband connection tht has been prop configured to work on Linux!
I hv a dial up connection(no plans to upgrd to BB with winmodem and a piii equiv p.c)

So whts the best way fr me to learn?
@tech_your_future
Wll this book "The Debian System" suite me?
I wont get this book at my place!
Can u send me this book? I wll pay the trans+cost charges...
How much wll the total amnt be if u send me the book?

I live in uttranchal,anyone can tell me the nearest place where I can get this book?

PLS guys help me out?

OP
M

mehulved

Well 'The Debian System' isn't exactly a book that you should start from. You should go for this book if you like Debian GNU/Linux. This book isn't just about the operating system, it's also about the history, philosophy and the people behind the debian project. So, it's something direct more towards a entusiast than a end user. It does have a lot on debian administration and such too.
So, if you really want to know about debian indepth then this book is a good place to start with.
And can't you get an external modem? That should help you get started with net in linux. Make sure it works well with linux distros.

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
Pls can anyone here tell me how much it costs?
So If I get an external modem...wll I b able to use commands like
"apt get "
How much time wll the downloading take?

OP
M

mehulved

The book costs Rs. 500-600 approx. I guess an external modem should cost about 1K not so sure though. If you can get a working net connection. You can surely use apt when you are connected to the net.
Downloading time will of course depend on file size. Speed of the connection won't really see any change with the external modem,of course, but you will be able to get things working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom