Ubuntu 8.04 quotes bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

Has anyone else noticed the fact that in Ubuntu hardy heron, there is a bug due to which single and double quites don function properly ? The first time I type them, there is no output. In Konqueror, I end up with two square boxes if I use double quotes twice, in Firefox, I get two small dots, and if I type double quotes before a letter like a, I end up with two dots over it. Single quote becomes another pronounciation symbol in firefox(a comma like dash over the letter), but results in two square boxes again in Konqueror.

I googled for this, and found some entries in ubuntu forums, which is sadly offline due to maintainence issues.

update: I saw this *64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:C4vX...+keyboard+quote+bug+double&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5 and I hope it works.

another update: UK default results in exchange of " and @ but it solves the problem. But shift+2 gives ", and there are many more such issues.

yet another update: I noticed that for an average iBall keyboard like mine with a big fat ugly enter button, intel 105 key keyboard with US default works fine.(not fully tested)

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
I havent faced any problems.may be you have to select correct keyboard language?(US)

I used the following command to enable resetting keyboard:
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -plow console-setup[/quote]
but I am not sure which are the right options. can someone please try this command out and tell me what are the options I must select ?

praka123

left this forum longback
well,I dont think that command can help much?I think selecting Xorg kbd type is what is helpful.
first make sure is it a 104 kbd or 102 etc.then ,for eg: for a 104 kbd,in /etc/X11/xorg.conf in"Section "InputDevice" ,keyboard -add below line:
Code:
    Option         "XkbModel" "pc104"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "us"
save,restart X,boot into Gnome,open System>preferences>keyboard>layout>generic 104 ,and tick "US" as lang.that will hopefully fix.

below is my debian xorg.conf for example:
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver         "kbd"
    Option         "CoreKeyboard"
    Option         "XkbRules" "xorg"
EndSection
REMEMBER:ubuntu or fedora or any latest distros autoconfigures X now.so xorg.conf is minimal.you have to configure it .

well,I dont think that command can help much?I think selecting Xorg kbd type is what is helpful.
first make sure is it a 104 kbd or 102 etc.then ,for eg: for a 104 kbd,in /etc/X11/xorg.conf in"Section "InputDevice" ,keyboard -add below line:
Code:
save,restart X,boot into Gnome,open System>preferences>keyboard>layout>generic 104 ,and tick "US" as lang.that will hopefully fix.

below is my debian xorg.conf for example:
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Generic Keyboard"n
    Driver         "kbd"
    Option         "CoreKeyboard"
    Option         "XkbRules" "xorg"
EndSection
REMEMBER:ubuntu or fedora or any latest distros autoconfigures X now.so xorg.conf is minimal.you have to configure it .
if I select keyboard in gnome, the setting is not forwarded to IceWM or KDE. Thats the problem.

I want to reset my install time selection. And I need to find a way to do that.

I can´t continue my programming course if I cant use quotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom