Ubuntu 7.04 'Fiesty Fawn' Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

freebird

Debian Rocks!
Seven Post-Install Tips for Ubuntu 7.04

Fixes, extras, and eye candy: Here are seven steps to take just after installing Feisty Fawn.

*www.pcworld.com/article/id,130923-page,1-c,linux/article.html

morpheusv6

Journeyman
I just downloaded Ubuntu 7.04 DVD via torrent. Installed it on my system.
The torrent and the downloaded iso says 64 bit in the file name, but how do I confirm that it is a 64 bit not 32 bit os? Is there any way to do that while running ubuntu?

I just downloaded Ubuntu 7.04 DVD via torrent. Installed it on my system.
The torrent and the downloaded iso says 64 bit in the file name, but how do I confirm that it is a 64 bit not 32 bit os? Is there any way to do that while running ubuntu?
Sorry for the stupid question, but I am new to linux and ubuntu and this is my first experience with linux(not on a live cd/dvd).

The synaptic package manager show some programs like the gcc and bitorrent which are already installed. How do I access these programs? They are not visible in the applications menu.

Last edited:

Possible

Custom User Title
@morpheusv6 -

If you have an Ubuntu installation, and want to check what version it is, you have a number of options. The most "right" way I've found is to simply look at the /etc/lsb-release file, which should tell you explicitly what version of Ubuntu is installed, its codename, and its version number.

Of course, you could do a number of other things instead, like looking at /etc/apt/sources.list to see what version of Ubuntu you're pulling packages from. But I thought the above method was nice, and not often mentioned.[...]

( Just didn't feel like writing it :mrgreen: )

So in simple, just type cat /etc/lsb-release.

GCC is a C/C++ Compiler and can be accessed only via the terminal. Bittorrent is the same way. Write the words gcc or bittorrent in the terminal to know more about them. A good way is to use a man command prefix before them.

Pathik

Google Bot
u ll hav to access gcc thru console.. And that bittorrent is just the protocol not an application.. Means u can download torrent files directly..

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I believe bittorrent refers to the official bittorrent client. So, if you install that you should be able to run the offfical client. But, you won't enjoy it much as it doesn't have too many features.

morpheusv6

Journeyman
What about keyboard shortcuts for applcations?

Possible said:
@morpheusv6 -

( Just didn't feel like writing it :mrgreen: )

So in simple, just type cat /etc/lsb-release.

GCC is a C/C++ Compiler and can be accessed only via the terminal. Bittorrent is the same way. Write the words gcc or bittorrent in the terminal to know more about them. A good way is to use a man command prefix before them.

Whether its a 64 bit or 32 bit OS?

Last edited:

morpheusv6

Journeyman
How do I run windows 32 bit applications inside ubuntu(like wmp11)? Is there any virtualization app(not familiar with it)?

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
morpheusv6 said:
How do I run windows 32 bit applications inside ubuntu(like wmp11)? Is there any virtualization app(not familiar with it)?

its not virtualization but emulation;)..Think it might be possible but not true:)

Possible

Custom User Title
Ah that's a bit difficult on Ubuntu... But there's this small thing you can try.
System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts

Also, in the comments here, there's a good gconf-editor hack way.

morpheusv6 said:
Whether its a 64 bit or 32 bit OS?

Sigh, just try it out and it must mention it. Also look in the sources.list (the 2nd method) the links must be pointing to 64 bit repositories. If so, its 64 bit OS alright. :|

Last edited:

comrade

foreign return(0)
tech_your_future said:
yes. both are the same except the DE

thanks mate...i dont like ubuntu look escpecialy the gnome look..am a kde addict..thats y i preferred to install kubuntu

Possible

Custom User Title
comrade said:
i have a doubt...can i install softwares that are meant for ubuntu in kubuntu
Yes you sure can but some applications that exploit a lot of exclusive features of GNOME might need you to install all those GTK libraries, GNOME core files, etc on Kubuntu to run. Not a problem really but takes more space at times.

morpheusv6

Journeyman
Possible said:
Ah that's a bit difficult on Ubuntu... But there's this small thing you can try.
System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts

Also, in the comments here, there's a good gconf-editor hack way.

Sigh, just try it out and it must mention it. Also look in the sources.list (the 2nd method) the links must be pointing to 64 bit repositories. If so, its 64 bit OS alright. :|
lsb-release->
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=7.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=feisty
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 7.04"

second method doesn't show the required info

Possible

Custom User Title
**** sorry sorry sorry, uname just escaped my head!

uname -a

It must display the hardware architecture like x86_64 or something, it shows x86 here...

morpheusv6

Journeyman
Possible said:
**** sorry sorry sorry, uname just escaped my head!

uname -a

It must display the hardware architecture like x86_64 or something, it shows x86 here...
Thanks for the keyboard shortcuts info.
command shows:
Linux *********-desktop 2.6.20-15-generic #2 SMP Sun Apr 15 06:17:24 UTC 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Also, the desktop effects :
workspaces on a cube is enabled. how do I use this feature? Alt-Tab doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom