Typo - the and teh - will be and wil lbe - Any solution ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

narangz

Web developer
Well, no one pays any attention to it, specially because it’s not readily available on Windows based computers, but the correct apostrophes and quotation marks are 6s and 9s.

Here’s a demonstration:

This is ‘correct’ and this is 'wrong'. Did you get my point? No? “This” is correct and "this" is wrong.

Can you spot the difference? The correct usage includes two different symbols for either end of the word/phrase/sentence. Also, “it's” is wrong and “it’s” is correct and when you mention the year somewhere, it’s supposed to be “iLife ’08”, not “iLife '08” or even “iLife ‘08”.

One more thing you may not know is that those three dots that people use is actually supposed to be a single character called an ellipsis. It’s not supposed to be three individual dots (...), it’s just one character (…). Try highlighting these two with your mouse cursor; you won’t be able to highlight the dots in the later example individually.

Enjoy. :)

How did you type ellipsis as a single character? :confused:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^ wat abt this
… (ALT+0133)

*i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/ellipsis.jpg

lolz

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
ƒ±Åo╬áµ⌠Æ♣Θ╕⌐
lolz

hmmm.... looks like win 95, is it ?
no sire, its xp lolz...takin a break from linux now too lazy yo restart PC.

I don't like themes in XP, its just for gaming performance.

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Because it is a single character, and not multiple individual dots. But you won't find it on a Windows machine. Standard keyboards don't have it.
dude just hit ALT+0133 :rolleyes:

I got these in Arch:
*i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/Screenshot-CharacterMapsmall.jpg

On linux just type "&#special_number;"
Code:
&#8230(;)
to get …
Code:
&#8942(;)
to get ⋮

or better there are FF extensions to do these automatically

but guess its simply noobish to write ellipsis as single char when we can easily (...) lolz

Last edited:

narangz

Web developer
There has go be some kind of character panel in Windows right? Might want to drag it in from there. On the mac it is Option + ;

There is character map. I know that but was wondering if there is some alternate method.

^^ wat abt this
… (ALT+0133)

*i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/ellipsis.jpg

lolz

Any other method without those ALT+ /character map?

Pathik

Google Bot
^ Why not. Just keep Alt pressed, press 0,1,3,3 quickly and release Alt . Standard Procedure.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
OK. So the gist of it is:

Linux: &#8230(;) (Works on the Mac too.)
Windows: Alt + (0 + 1 + 3 + 3) or using that character map thingy.
Mac: Option + ;

Just one of the many little things that bring out the stark difference between the user interface of Mac OS X, Windows and Linux.

(Sure, the ellipsis is a tiny little thing and is of hardly any consequence. I know that. Don’t start about that now. And let’s get back to the topic at hand.)

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Going back to the OP's post, we have a different problem when typing in my language which uses a modified version of the English alphabet. The word teh is fairly common and has more than one meaning. The single i is also a word meaning you or your. It is very annoying when a word processor insists on changing teh to the and i to I. So, whenever I install a word processor for people with limited computer skills, the first thing I do is remove those words from the auto-correction list.

By the way, are you familiar with Skitt's Law ? It states that someone who points out a spelling or grammatical error in someone else's post (in a forum or newsgroup) is very likely to make the same kind of mistake in the very same post in which he points out the mistake. It's uncanny how accurate this Law is. I've seen it happen so many times in newsgroups and forums.

goobimama

 Macboy
Well teh is more l33t sp3ak or whatever it is. The OP doesn't want to type teh, but ends up typing it cause of his lack of motor skills and let's face it, Din is no genius. Anyway, it is only after constant conditioning can one get rid of these frequent typos.

As for your Skitt's law, I've seen it happen, but not in the frequency you have mentioned.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
By the way, are you familiar with Skitt's Law ? It states that someone who points out a spelling or grammatical error in someone else's post (in a forum or newsgroup) is very likely to make the same kind of mistake in the very same post in which he points out the mistake. It's uncanny how accurate this Law is. I've seen it happen so many times in newsgroups and forums.
Umm… I do that all the time and I don’t think it happens to me (and yes, I proofread my posts too).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom