Typo - the and teh - will be and wil lbe - Any solution ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
Writing without typos is totally outdated

Will everyone please shut up about the typos on blogs? Show me someone who is blogging every day and also complains about someone’s typos. Just try. See? You can’t. Because anyone who is trying to come up with fresh ideas, and convey them in an intelligent, organized way, on a daily basis, has way too many things on their plate to complain about other peoples’ typos.

There is a new economy for writing. The focus has shifted toward taking risks with conversation and ideas, and away from hierarchical input (the editorial process) and perfection.

As the world of content and writing shifts, the spelling tyrants will be left behind. Here are five reasons why complaining about typos is totally stupid and outdated.

1. Spellchecker isn’t perfect.
Everyone knows that Spellchecker misses some words. And everyone knows that sometimes we think we are making a stylistic choice when we have actually made a grammar error.

And anyway, it’s nearly impossible for us to catch the errors that Spellchecker misses. If it were tenable to proofread one’s own stuff, then there would never have been a copy editor to begin with. And there is research to show that if the first and last letter of a word are correct then our brain adjusts for all the letters in between. (My personal favorite of all Spellchecker problems: form and from. Try it—there are so many cases when both words will get past Spellchecker.)

So don’t ***** to me that I should use Spellchecker.

2. Spelling has nothing to do with intelligence.
Usually the person who is *****ing about spelling errors also has to make some comment about how the blogger in question is a moron—but you might want to rethink the idea that a spelling error is a sign of incompetence.

Many people with dyslexia are very smart. Most kids who win spelling bees have many signs of Asperger’s syndrome (see the documentary on this, which I love). This means that many amazing spellers actually have brains that are developing intellectual skills (in this case, spelling skills) at the expense of social skills.

So people who have spelling problems might be super intelligent with great social skills—if you’d just take the time to notice.

3. You don’t have unlimited time, so spend it on ideas, not hyphens.
I am extremely knowledgeable about grammar. I can parse any sentence. I can sign the preposition song in my sleep. So I feel fine telling you that there are great writers who don’t know grammar.

Real grammarians, by the way, have memorized the AP Stylebook. Newspapers and magazines have people who are paid to enforce these rules. There is no way a blogger could hire for this, and few bloggers can justify spending the years it takes to memorize The AP Stylebook. So you could spend your life reading the AP Stylebook, or you could spend your life spouting ideas.

So what if your ideas have hyphens in the wrong places and you turn an adverb into a noun? People can almost always figure out what you’re saying anyway, but they won’t care enough to try without a great idea lurking there to attract their effort. And there’s a reason that people who have amazing ideas get paid twenty times more than people who have amazing grammar: Ideas are worth a lot more to us.

4. Perfectionism is a disease.
If errors bother you a lot, consider that you might be a perfectionist, which is a disorder. Perfectionists are more likely to be depressed than other people because no amount of work seems like enough. They are more likely to be unhappy with their work because delegating is nearly impossible if you are a perfectionist. And they are more likely to have social problems because people mired in details cannot look up and notice the nuances of what matters to other people.

5. Use the comments section for what matters: Intelligent discourse.
The comments section of a blog is a place for people to exchange ideas. The best comments sections, of which I think mine is one, is full of smart, curious people who don’t spend as much time finding perfect answers (are there any?) as finding good questions. The best comments sections are full of people helping each other to sharpen the questions we ask.

So blogging is not an homage to perfectionism but rather an homage to the art of being curious. And while old journalism was hell-bent on being Right and being The Authority, new journalism understands that news is a commodity and opinion-makers are the layer that goes on top of the news to make it resonate. So stop wasting your time in the comments section parsing grammar and start contributing to the discussion.

hope this helps...

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
This may sound funny I know.

OK, here it goes.

When I type very fast, I make two mistakes always. I was going through the emails I send (I corrected them all before sending though) to my clients.

1. In most cases, I type the as teh

2. In most cases, I type will be as wil lbe

I know this is not a serious issue as email client has spell checking thing, also when I type in FF text area, that also has a spell checker. So I can correct it before posting.

Still, just wondering any others has got similar issues ? Is it just me ? Its quite natural ?

Use Texter: *lifehacker.com/software/texter/lifehacker-code-texter-windows-238306.php

Assign teh for the in the settings and whenever u type "teh" in any window or any app, it automatically gets converted into "the"

You can add more such words.. btw, this not a app for typo solution, but in ur case, it is.

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
@all my friends

Thanks a lot for the suggestions and I am lil happy I have company ;)

@Gigacore

Oh no, never :( This reminds me Goobi's example. If we use auto correction, I will never type it correctly.

I use the spell check only to know whether it is wrong, I do not use it for auto correction. When I see 'teh' and the red under line, I delete that and type again.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
hope this helps...
Just to let you know, even that very article is absolutely free of any sort of spelling, grammatical or punctuation errors. Yes, there are no typos to be seen.

So, even though she may blabber on about whether or not perfect writing is passé, I’m sure she’s aware on a very conscious level that error free journalism is classy and a cut above the rest. That’s why she ensures that her own articles are meticulously proofread and purged of any mistakes.

I don’t know what prompted her to author that article, but she sure as Hell neither has faith in her own words nor acts upon them. It’s a hypocritical essay at best. Heck, she even goes to the lengths of using accurate typography and places the correct apostrophe (’) everywhere instead of the more common, wrong one (').

Oh, and stop plagiarising the work of others and stealing intellectual property. Credit the author and provide a link to it. We’ll do the reading ourselves by visiting the blog in question. Don’t post the article in its entirety. It’s blatant theft, that’s what it is.

The article in question here, “Writing without typos is totally outdated”, has been authored by Penelope Trunk for Brazen Careerist.

--------------------

After reading some of the comments on that entry, most of which are in disagreement with the author’s views, I have come to realise that the entire thing is even more ridiculous that I’d initially thought. Writing is essentially a profession and what it yields is the product—when did it become OK to sell flawed products? Would you accept it if the new car you just bought came from the factory with even a tiny, but noticeable, scratch on any part of it?

Sure, it doesn’t make much of a difference and isn’t even visible when seen from a distance, but it’s still a flaw. You don’t want a flawed product. In a similar fashion, if you’re a reader with any zest for the art of writing and the article you’re reading, you don’t want even one misspelled letter in it. And, you know what, you’re entitled to it too.

Stop saying typos don’t matter, because they very well do.

Last edited:

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
My problem is a bit different. In an effort to type correctly, I type very slow. Filled-Void says his typing style is weird since he uses only two fingers. Well, I use only one. Also I still don't perfectly know which key is where. I still sometimes stop mid-typing, trying to find where the hell did that 'f' go. Then after sometime, I realise it's right there in front of me. Obviously I cannot type without looking at the keyboard.

When I'm on the IRC where typing fast is required, I just blindly stab my keyboard, hoping that my fingers are finding the right key. Most often they don't. And what ends up is what I like to call is a 'Typostrophe'.

I need help in typing fast. Fast and accurate.

goobimama

 Macboy
My problem is a bit different. In an effort to type correctly, I type very slow. Filled-Void says his typing style is weird since he uses only two fingers. Well, I use only one. Also I still don't perfectly know which key is where. I still sometimes stop mid-typing, trying to find where the hell did that 'f' go. Then after sometime, I realise it's right there in front of me. Obviously I cannot type without looking at the keyboard.

When I'm on the IRC where typing fast is required, I just blindly stab my keyboard, hoping that my fingers are finding the right key. Most often they don't. And what ends up is what I like to call is a 'Typostrophe'.

I need help in typing fast. Fast and accurate.
Just learn typing the hard way man. Start with ASDF and you will be on your way to typing at 90-100 wpm. Will take you about an hour a day for two months to cover the entire keyboard though. And the 100 wpm will come in about 6-7 months. Although once you get the speed, you will never forget it (might drop to around 80 wpm sometimes, but that's a different matter)

--

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Dude, WTF! I didn't know there were two apostrophes! :D Where did you get that one from? And what is wrong in the second one? :p
AFAIK, ( ' ) is an inverted comma, whereas the other one (not present on my keyboard) is the actual apostrophe.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Dude, WTF! I didn't know there were two apostrophes! :D Where did you get that one from? And what is wrong in the second one? :p
Well, no one pays any attention to it, specially because it’s not readily available on Windows based computers, but the correct apostrophes and quotation marks are 6s and 9s.

Here’s a demonstration:

This is ‘correct’ and this is 'wrong'. Did you get my point? No? “This” is correct and "this" is wrong.

Can you spot the difference? The correct usage includes two different symbols for either end of the word/phrase/sentence. Also, “it's” is wrong and “it’s” is correct and when you mention the year somewhere, it’s supposed to be “iLife ’08”, not “iLife '08” or even “iLife ‘08”.

I hope I’ve not confused you. :p

On the Mac keyboard, pressing Shift and Option in conjugation with the ‘[’ and ‘]’ keys yields these four different characters. I don’t know how to achieve this on Windows, or whether it’s even possible.

Now that you (hopefully) know the difference, you’ll notice that all professional publications always use these correctly. In fact, Microsoft Word even automatically corrects them for you (in most cases).

One more thing you may not know is that those three dots that people use is actually supposed to be a single character called an ellipsis. It’s not supposed to be three individual dots (...), it’s just one character (…). Try highlighting these two with your mouse cursor; you won’t be able to highlight the dots in the later example individually.

Enjoy. :)

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Just learn typing the hard way man. Start with ASDF...
I don't get it. What is ASDF? :confused:

Well, no one pays any attention to it, specially because it’s not readily available on Windows based computers, but the correct apostrophes and quotation marks are 6s and 9s.

Here’s a demonstration:

This is ‘correct’ and this is 'wrong'. Did you get my point? No? “This” is correct and "this" is wrong.

Can you spot the difference? The correct usage includes two different symbols for either end of the word/phrase/sentence. Also, “it's” is wrong and “it’s” is correct and when you mention the year somewhere, it’s supposed to be “iLife ’08”, not “iLife '08” or even “iLife ‘08”.

I hope I’ve not confused you. :p

On the Mac keyboard, pressing Shift and Option in conjugation with the ‘[’ and ‘]’ keys yields these four different characters. I don’t know how to achieve this on Windows, or whether it’s even possible.

Now that you (hopefully) know the difference, you’ll notice that all professional publications always use these correctly. In fact, Microsoft Word even automatically corrects them for you (in most cases).

One more thing you may not know is that those three dots that people use is actually supposed to be a single character called an ellipsis. It’s not supposed to be three individual dots (...), it’s just one character (…). Try highlighting these two with your mouse cursor; you won’t be able to highlight the dots in the later example individually.

Enjoy. :)
OK. Since I don’t have these characters on my keyboard, I might as well copy them from your post and save them somewhere. So that when I need them, I’ll just copy and paste them in my post (or whatever that I’m writing). ;) Would be a lot of work though. So I'll reserve it for important stuff. Till then don’t mind my 's. :p

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
ASDF are the four keys your fingers must always keep returning to while you type.

Milind, do you actually type with your fingers placed on ASDF?

goobimama

 Macboy
Yep. Always. My index fingers automatically start finding the t*ts on the keyboard (that's what they're called!).

@gigacore: Can you type without looking at the keyboard?

praka123

left this forum longback
I have this problem ,you know while typing....the "$" comes soo often :D especially in any of those troll threads! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom