Tsunami hits north-eastern Japan after massive quake

Do u thk, Japan wil come under ques's now on its capability to handle Nuclear stufs?

• Yes, (Earthquake and Tsunami are common there, so reacters should hav built keeping in mind extreme

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No, (Reacter were made keeping these things in mind. It was just too strong this time, and no one co

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Source:
BBC News - Tsunami hits north-eastern Japan after massive quake
and
Earthquake in northeast Japan raises 13-foot tsunami - Express India

Magnitude of earthquake was around 8.9 !!! News is showing live video feed of Waves sweeping away, heaps of debris being carried out in the farms...
Its just disheartening. Earthquake warnings have been issued to Guam, Taiwan, the Philippines, Indonesia and US state of Hawaii!!

Last edited:
Yep. Everyone tune in to CNN-IBN to watch live (literally) footage of the carnage which is still going on.

Update: The tsunami will hit Hawaii within 2-2.5 hours. Hawaii has been evacuated however.

The 8.9 Richter quake is the 5th largest quake in this century.

Last edited:
OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Yeah man... This is INSANE!!!
Never saw the kind of rampage like this ever. The flow of water is carrying along with it the debris of possibly houses, with an astonishing speed ans force! Sometimes looks like its the flow of magma!

Yeah man... This is INSANE!!!
Never saw the kind of rampage like this ever. The flow of water is carrying along with it the debris of possibly houses, with an astonishing speed ans force! Sometimes looks like its the flow of magma!

yeah. that's the unbelievable part.
when i saw the water flowing without any hitches in the news channel, i thought "Is it real of digitally altered?"

pauldmps

Banned
Things are, however, much under control now. There seems to have been no casualties so far. 8.9 on a Richter scale is insanely huge.

EDIT: There has been six casualties so far as reported by the Deccan Herald.

Last edited:

reddead

LoSt!
thank god...its not coming to india
india could not manage evacuation and would end up having thousands of casualities

Krow

Crowman
BBC seems to suggest that 4 million households are without electricity in Japan now. In a country as advanced as Japan, that must be a nightmare. Hope that casualties are minimal.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Shocking. YouTube - 3月11日地震 æ￾±äº¬éƒ½ã‚¹ãƒ¼ãƒ‘ー店内ã￾®æ§˜å*￾

Still the Japanese are advanced enough to minimize life loss. If god forbid such a quake occured in India, words cannot describe.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Yes & in google.co.in they have posted an alert in home page.

"Tsunami Alert for New Zealand, the Philippines, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Hawaii, and others. Waves expected over the next few hours, caused by 8.9 earthquake in Japan."

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
If god forbid such a quake occured in India, words cannot describe.

Yeah... totally agree... such evacuations are not possible here. Can't even imagine what havoc could break loose here! Until and unless, some security measures aren't put up in place, and if people don't become vigilant enough.

Yes & in google.co.in they have posted an alert in home page.

yes.... even on Google.com
But it will rarely help those, who don't access google search directly. Like I didn't noticed that, since I use search toolbar.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
:agreed: ONE! Google must have helped people, that I couldn't even imagine giving number of.

Its good to know that earthquake resulted in very less casualities. But damage has not been finished. Tsunami is on its way to other Islands. We can just hope for the best.

BTW, @Liverpool_fan: Any idea, why that video is showing uploaded date, of previous day?

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
^ No idea. Time zones maybe?

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

Live coverage from the BBC

BBC News - Tsunami hits north-eastern Japan after massive quake

azzu

AJJU
That really looks insane ....
hope they have very few casualties....
an example of nature's force..

iinfi

mekalodu
c how the tsunami will travel
*i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/03/11/article-1365229-0D916781000005DC-641_634x613.jpg

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
Something's gonna happen soon..........

Max is something like 7.x, goddarnit, this is 8.9 or 9! Holy hell this Earth.

See the high-res pics of the carnage...
BBC News - In pictures: Japan earthquake and tsunami

Also watch the live streaming BBC coverage...
BBC News - Live: Japan earthquake and tsunami

Last edited:
OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
(Final) Update: Atleast 1000 casualities, and insurmountable loss of property.

Quake, tsunami devastate Japan, more than 1000 dead - Hindustan Times

Japan Quake Causes Day To Get Shorter

WASHINGTON – You won't notice it, but the day just got a tiny bit shorter because of Friday's giant earthquake off the coast of Japan.

NASA geophysicist Richard Gross calculated that Earth's rotation sped up by 1.6 microseconds. That's because of the shift in Earth's mass caused by the 8.9-magnitude earthquake. A microsecond is one-millionth of a second.

That change in rotation speed is slightly more than the one caused by last year's larger Chile earthquake. But 2004's bigger Sumatra earthquake caused a 6.8-microsecond shortening of the day.

The Japan quake is the fifth strongest since 1900.

Source

Top Bottom