Trying & Learning Ubuntu. My Query Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Thanks a lot narangz, that was really helpful. BTW you are still on Ubuntu or on some other distro?

redhat

Mad and Furious
Friends.. i am new to linux... n I need some help in mounting my ntfs partitions onto linux. I use Kubuntu 8.04 Live CD
I went to storage media and selected the partition, clicked on mount.
I get the following error:
$LogFile indicates unclean shutdown (0, 0) Failed to mount '/dev/sda6': Operation not supported Mount is denied because NTFS is marked to be in use. Choose one action: Choice 1: If you have Windows then disconnect the external devices by clicking on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the Windows taskbar then shutdown Windows cleanly. Choice 2: If you don't have Windows then you can use the 'force' option for your own responsibility. For example type on the command line: mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda6 /media/Work & Files -o force Or add the option to the relevant row in the /etc/fstab file: /dev/sda6 /media/Work & Files ntfs-3g force 0 0

Since my Windows XP does not boot, i know that the first method will not work. So, i went to terminal window and typed in the following command:
mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda6 /media/Work & Files -o force
It gave an error that I need to log in as root to execute this command, so i typed in the command with a "sudo" prefixed to it. The result is as follows:
[1] 13485
$LogFile indicates unclean shutdown (0, 0)
Failed to mount '/dev/sda6': Operation not supported
Mount is denied because NTFS is marked to be in use. Choose one action:

Choice 1: If you have Windows then disconnect the external devices by
clicking on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the Windows
taskbar then shutdown Windows cleanly.

Choice 2: If you don't have Windows then you can use the 'force' option for
your own responsibility. For example type on the command line:

mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda6 /media/Work -o force

Or add the option to the relevant row in the /etc/fstab file:

/dev/sda6 /media/Work ntfs-3g force 0 0
bash: Files: command not found
[1]+ Exit 15 sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda6 /media/Work
please help...

also i need to format the partition as NTFS again...
i cant do this with a windows XP live cd, or from Windows Setup disk because they are not booting...

redhat

Mad and Furious
thanks for the reply.. but I think that my sudo command hasnt broken. This is because I used the sudo command to force mount another partition labelled "Dumps"
The problem is occuring with the 2 remaining partitions...

NauticA

Broken In
Hi frnds, heres another query. I m using ubuntu 7. When i try su and give the correct password, it says "authentication fails." whats the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom