Trying & Learning Ubuntu. My Query Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
1. First off you need to ensure that you have the build essentials package installed so that you can build the b43-fwcutter.

sudo apt-get install build-essential

2. Once that is installed you can download and build b43-fwcutter.

wget *bu3sch.de/b43/fwcutter/b43-fwcutter-011.tar.bz2
tar xjf b43-fwcutter-011.tar.bz2
cd b43-fwcutter-011
make
cd ..

3. Now we need to download the Broadcom firmware and install it. Note that the “FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR” must point to the directory where your firmware directory is. The one I have used below is what it is in Ubuntu.

export FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR=”/lib/firmware”
wget *downloads.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.bz2
tar xjf broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.bz2
cd broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0/kmod
../../b43-fwcutter-011/b43-fwcutter -w “$FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR” wl_apsta.o

4. Now simply reboot the laptop and presto… the little wireless light should be blue :)

Source : *penkin.wordpress.com/2008/03/28/ubuntu-804-broadcom-wireless/

ray|raven

Think Zen.
The firmware is for the card it seems.
Read the source , you might understand more than me , i have almost nil experience with wireless cards.

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
It seems it edits the firmware. I am not going to do that. It's not even from trusted source.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Ray has shown the command line way. You could also use the GUI way. If you are using Ubuntu 8.04, its mostly already installed. If its not then goto Synaptic package manager (system > admin) and search and install the package: ndisgtk

You need the windows drivers for this. Grab the windows drivers and extract/copy all the files to a temporary folder. Ensure the drivers haf the files: .inf, .sys .vxd etc.

Then goto System>Admin>Windows wireless drivers Now click on the Install new drivers button. Browse to the folder where the windows drivers are place and select the .inf file to install. It will install the drivers for your card.

Your card is up and running! :) You can configure it with Network manager. If network manager fails to configure (I've had very bad exp. with this and I vowed never to support this ****.. thats why mac4lin doesn't support network manager skinning :)) ) then install the package WICD from synaptic. Its a much better network config tool.

PS: By any chance is this your card: *ajsimbulan.multiply.com/journal/it...Broadcom_94311_on_Ubuntu_8.04_LTS_Hardy_Heron

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
I am on 8.04 but it doesn't work. Should I follow these instructions on 8.04?

My card is- Broadcom BCM4311. That's for BCM94311 or is it same?

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
The card or do I need to set it up? If yes, how & where? I couldn't find any option :(

BTW- I guess there was a hardware option in 7 which showed all the hardware present but it's no where in 8.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
No no.. nothing... just get the windows drivers. Extract it to a temp. folder in Linux.. and launch the Windows Wireless Drivers from System > Admin. Press the install button and locate the windows driver .inf file.

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
Thanks Anirudh. I'll try tonight as right now the internet speed is next to dead and I'll have to install ndisgtk :(

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ Just check.. I think that package is installed by default in Ubuntu 8.04 (system > admin > windows wireless drivers)

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Hi guys, I am also a new to linux just like my fellow friend narangz. I just Installed Ubuntu 8.04 & have some queries :

1) How to play restricted formats in Ubuntu? I searched a lot, but got only the apt get method which needs net connection, which currently i don't have.

2) I have a Zebronics 7300GT 512 MB AGP card, but I think Ubuntu did not recognized it. I am not able to enable the special effects & cannot set the monitor resoultion to 1024*768. Any way? Driver install?

3)Which is the best software for Windows XP to read & write to a ext3 partition?

4)Some system optimization tips for faster startup/shutdown etc? Like disabling some services... a link will be helpful :)

Sorry Narangz for hijacking your thread, but I thought there is no need to open a new one as both of us will be able to learn from this. :) Share me your knowledge too, I am late in this class of prakash sir :D No offense Praka123.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
1) How to play restricted formats in Ubuntu? I searched a lot, but got only the apt get method which needs net connection, which currently i don't have.
You need anet connection to install the packages which enable this. Otherwise you should have probably installed mint. Maybe you can install the packages from a mint cd / dvd but you will have to check for that.

2) I have a Zebronics 7300GT 512 MB AGP card, but I think Ubuntu did not recognized it. I am not able to enable the special effects & cannot set the monitor resoultion to 1024*768. Any way? Driver install?

Open the restricted drivers manager and see if it is using nVidias driver?

3)Which is the best software for Windows XP to read & write to a ext3 partition?
I use *www.fs-driver.org/ I believe it supports ext3 also.

4)Some system optimization tips for faster startup/shutdown etc? Like disabling some services... a link will be helpful
From my experience . Check your dmesg and see if you are gettign any huge delay at the part where your hard disk is mounted. Remove unwanted services Like cupsys etc if you dont print. You could remove gnome all together and use a lightweight environment like FLuxbox but configuring it would eb a pain.

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
Hi guys, I am also a new to linux just like my fellow friend narangz. I just Installed Ubuntu 8.04 & have some queries :

4)Some system optimization tips for faster startup/shutdown etc? Like disabling some services... a link will be helpful :)

Sorry Narangz for hijacking your thread, but I thought there is no need to open a new one as both of us will be able to learn from this. :) Share me your knowledge too, I am late in this class of prakash sir :D No offense Praka123.

No Problem buddy :)
I guess you need internet or a cd with the libraries for drivers & media playback.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
First thing I needed was internet, so I decided to proceed as per the sticky thread in OSS section. I have a Nokia 5700 Xpress Music.

No sooner I started, I was in a ditch. The commands required to be inputed as a root.
But I didn't remember, when did the setup asked for root password :confused:

Is there any way to reset the root password?? I need to figure this out before I proceed in learning Linux.

@Narangz - So nice of you buddy. :)
Yes & I forgot to write, that I do have net connection in XP(Nokia 5700 as a modem).

Any site by which I can download the proprietary drivers??

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
First thing I needed was internet, so I decided to proceed as per the sticky thread in OSS section. I have a Nokia 5700 Xpress Music.

No sooner I started, I was in a ditch. The commands required to be inputed as a root.
But I didn't remember, when did the setup asked for root password :confused:

Is there any way to reset the root password?? I need to figure this out before I proceed in learning Linux.
You can prefix the command with "sudo" to execute it as root. If you haf not changed anything after a default install then it will not ask for a root password.

If however you need to set a root password yourself type: sudo passwd After this you will be asked for a new root password.

@coolg5, you can download packages from Medibuntu. Its a website where you get codecs, libdvdcss, etc. You get .deb packages there, so just go to the site and download them. Later use the same on ubuntu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom