Trouble booting windows

curioustechy

Journeyman
My system was working fine with 3 OS - Ubuntu 11.10, win 7, win XP, till recently. My friend worked on it last time after which I'm not able to work on win 7 & win XP. When win 7 boots up it comes up with a msg that explorer has stopped working. When win XP boots up, just the desktop appear without any icons. When I tried to initiate explorer through task manager in both OS it failed. How can I shoot this trouble?

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Which means you are able to boot into all 3 of them.??
Win XP explorer and Win 7 explorer is corrupt.?
Ask your friend why he fiddled with windows system file.??..if not then its a virus..Install a decent AV like Avira or any other ar per your choice

Try This:

1. CTRL-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager.
2. Click File | New Task(run).
3. Type regedit in the Run box and click OK.
4. Browse to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution.options

5. Under this key there will be subkeys named explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe. Delete the explorer and iexplorer keys entirely. They should not be listed under the Image File Execution.Options key.
6. Close the Registry Editor.
7. Restart the computer.

OP
curioustechy

curioustechy

Journeyman
Which means you are able to boot into all 3 of them.??
Win XP explorer and Win 7 explorer is corrupt.?
Ask your friend why he fiddled with windows system file.??..if not then its a virus..Install a decent AV like Avira or any other ar per your choice

Try This:

1. CTRL-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager.
2. Click File | New Task(run).
3. Type regedit in the Run box and click OK.
4. Browse to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution.options

5. Under this key there will be subkeys named explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe. Delete the explorer and iexplorer keys entirely. They should not be listed under the Image File Execution.Options key.
6. Close the Registry Editor.
7. Restart the computer.

My friend says he has not done anything with system files. I was having MSE in win 7 & Avira on win XP, both updated automatically.

When I tried to run regedit as you told. I get the same error msg. 'regedit stopped working'

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
CCleaner - Builds
download CCleaner - Portable & run the 'registry cleaner'.

I had same issue on my office desktop, the explorer kept crashing, even had tried 'System Restore', but ccleaner saved my day

OP
curioustechy

curioustechy

Journeyman

Yes i tried it in 7, but in xp, except a blank desktop nothing is seen or accessible... In 7, it showed that there is some error... the output log file is sized around 11mb... how can i upload it... any how the screen shot i'm posting here (sorry i'm not able to attach my screenshot... i don't know why...its a jpeg file with just 21.5kb)

doomgiver

Warframe
My friend says he has not done anything with system files. I was having MSE in win 7 & Avira on win XP, both updated automatically.

When I tried to run regedit as you told. I get the same error msg. 'regedit stopped working'

your 'friend' may be lying to save his hide.

dont take his word at face value.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Yes i tried it in 7, but in xp, except a blank desktop nothing is seen or accessible... In 7, it showed that there is some error... the output log file is sized around 11mb... how can i upload it... any how the screen shot i'm posting here (sorry i'm not able to attach my screenshot... i don't know why...its a jpeg file with just 21.5kb)

Upload it at any image sharing site like imgur.com and share here.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
CCleaner was never supposed for system troubleshooting.

Last option I can think at is system repair through OS disk. This would at least 7, can't say about rest.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
how can he even run ccleaner when explorer is not working.

and yes^^ ccleaner is housekeeping utility not a rescue software.

run auto repair from win7 disc. later do same for xp.

if u get stuck with boot entries after repair...use easybcd to restore old boot menu for xp/7/ubuntu.

and do install av after that. ur system is infected for sure...thats why explorer got corrupted in case ur buddy didnt do anything.lol

abhinav_sinha

Journeyman
My method might be little naive but:
1. use Repair option in xp cd,then
2. same for win7;
3. repair your grub as the first method itself will remove the grub.
OFF TOPIC:
I am also not able to upload images or any other file. Says upload fail. Any idea!

Top Bottom