too much rains in bombay, office computers under water !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huzefa

Journeyman
Help ! my office computers in Andheri are under water What will happen ? I hope they work after I dry them out Mostly its the data I'm worried about.... Any help please !!

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Hehe, they wont work buddy. They r history! Forget the data too! U can try giving the hard disks to professional recovery ppl.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
gone.... system is history..... sorry body.... but what 2 warry.... as the systems r official.... isnt it?? so relax... let ur boss to warry about....

lol.....

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
There's a possibility that your data's gone but it's not certain. I once left a spare HDD in a box with the cover open near a window. It rained heavily and water had collected inside the box, completely soaking it. I didn't notice it for several days. I dried it out thoroughly and, lo and behold, it worked fine !!

The key word here is "thoroughly". It's not enough to get it visibly dry. The water would have penetrated all the tiny spaces between the component pins and copper tracks on the circuit board.

The important thing is NOT to test it until you're sure everything has dried out completely.

If you'd like to try what I did : Gently dab off as much water as you can with a dry cloth and/or cotton-wool. Then dry it as much as you can with a hair dryer. Take care not to overheat anything, but don't be too timid either - those components can easily stand 70 degrees C or more.

Don't keep blowing on the same spot for more than a few seconds at a time. When you're afraid of overheating, stop, let it cool down and then start all over again. Make sure you blow every crook and cranny, including the connector pins.

Even after you think you've dried it as much as you can with the hair dryer, DON'T test it yet. Expose it to open air for several days, with the circuit board side up, to let all the remaining moisture evaporate, occasionally blowing it with the hair dryer again. THEN test it.

If this fails, then the data recovery guys can probably still recover your data. The platter housing is hermetically sealed and your data is probably still intact.

Good luck.

bharat_r

In the zone
I've heard that companies back up their data at a different place.
like a company in Mumbai would be having a clone of it's systems(ie.backup) in someother place like Banglore or Chennai.
Everyday the whole data is transfers to computers at the backup place.

Is it true or Sci Fi?
If it is true ,you can try it next time :p

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
bharat_r said:
I've heard that companies back up their data at a different place..........
Is it true or Sci Fi?
This is common practice for large companies with critical data. Now, if you're based in Mumbai and you have a backup in Chennai, your data is still safe even if Mumbai was nuked ..... :D

OP
H

Huzefa

Journeyman
just saved a couple of HDDs the water level had not reached upto the HDD , so they were dry computer is gone but the main thing the data is safe , tested in other PCs working fine . 2 others were totally under water, will do what u say, pimpom. The PC's may also start up after they dry out , SMPS may be fininshed neway thanks everyone.. We have had 957 mm of rains in the last 24 hrs, THE HIGHEST RAINFALL YET RECORDED IN THE 100 YEARS RECODED HISTORY OF INDIA !!!!!!!!!!! EVEN CHERAPUNGEE AT THE MOST HAS HAD 830 MM OF RAINS IN A DAY !!
ISTEAD OF THE FINANCIAL CAPITAL WE SHOULD BE CALLED THE WETTEST CAPITAL !

q3_abhi

Youngling
Here, in Akola too (near Nagpur), almost drought conditions last year. This year too very less rain till now. Hoping for more now.

OP
H

Huzefa

Journeyman
lol, hope all of the rains from here go elsewhere , where they are needed . We have had enuff rains and want to see the sun now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom