TOO HOT NEED COOLING DEVICES

Status
Not open for further replies.

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
wooow!!!!
dats some war of words going on !!!
in the end iam more confused...
but seriously some points put forward by darklord have been followed by me ...
i have a thermal pad and along with it i have applied thermal paste from coolermaster,and as soon as i finish far-cry or anything heavy,the system takes 2/3 seconds to bring the temp down...and in 10 secs its back to normal...maybe due to thermal paste..

Eazy

Journeyman
grinning_devil said:
i have a thermal pad and along with it i have applied thermal paste

When you say "along with it" do you mean that you put paste on top of the pad ? Thats not a good thing to do - all traces of the earlier pad/paste MUST be removed before applying new GOOP. If you want to read how to do it properly read this page...

*www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
ohhhho...i know what the instructions say...but for me what works best is this way...be it somewhat irregular but still gives me the desired result

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
by all respectful means, i think ymhatre, should have finally got his cooling solution by now.
And once and again to all, there is no point of proving wrong somebody.
We all here to learn and share from others.

thats it.

and by the way darklord, i have never seen so many lols,winks and expressions in a post. But that surely made me smile. :wink:

cyrux

In the zone
If ymhatre got his cooling device he should mention it here and inform about this product , cost so that it can help others.

Tech&ME

Banned
darklord said:
Intel has come up with THERMAL PAD, Which usually comes with the processor fan fixed on to the heatsink.

You mean to say that the Heatsink is fixed on the CPU when it is in boxed condition ?? frankly that comment of yours doesnt make any sense to me. :roll:

There is a vast difference between a TERMAL PAD and a Thermal Paste. Both work differently.
Really ? i didnt know that,care to explain ?? :wink:

Next you were talking about the Artic Silver, let me remind you that not only this compound is costly, it does not make much of a difference to temperature, only say 5 C of temp drop.

AS5 never reduces temperatures,it reduces the time required for bringing down temps when CPU is brought back to idle state from 100% load. :wink:

Another thing to note about this compound is that , its a permanent compound, you won't be able to separate your Processor with the heatsink untill and unless you apply a huge amount of strength

Yes you can.I have done that zillions of times,without damaging a single processor. :p

And if at all you apply such a strength to separate the processor with the heatsink, you may permanently damage the processor since, this processor has a different interface (opposite of what we had with the socket 478).

How could you possibly damage a LGA based CPU physically ???
I fail to understand or imagine that. :cry:

And for your info, don't think you are the only one who knows everything about cooling. I am a professional assembler myself and have undergone company training from Intel, Microsoft, and HP.
Well since when did Multinationals like Intel,HP start giving such horrific training?

Looking at your posts i am pretty sure,you were snoaring away to glory while the so-called training sessions were going on... :lol:

In my opinion, giving advice to people without warning them of suck situations is not a good advice at all.

That applies to you too buddy.Infact giving wrong advice and putting forward wrong concepts is even more dangerous.
Someone once said,wrong knowledge is dangerous than half knowledge or soemthing like ,i dont remember now...lol :lol:

But seriously man,your post made me laugh.Thanks for entertaining me.

Nice to see your comments dude,

It seems to me that you don't even know to read ENGLISH !!!! :wink:

"usually comes with the processor fan fixed on to the heatsink"

Unquote

So you don't even understand the meaning of the above sentense, it clearly says,

That the Prescott Processor Fan comes with the heatsink, and the Thermal Pad it fixed to the heatsink. ..... and I never said that the CPU comes fitted to the heatsink. Hope you now understand.

Secondly, I am astonished to note that you yourself doesnot know the difference between the Thermal PAD and the Thermal Paste and is taking part in discussion on such topics, which you are not aware of.

Frankly speaking, Intel is not FOOL company to make Thermal PAD for its Prescott Processor when the old Thermal Paste would still do the same work. They created Thermal PAD specially for this Processor type.

I again ask you to do the experiment yourself see the difference before you comment on such things.

EXPERIMENT:

Instead of applying Thermal PAD while installing an LGA based Processor, apply the ordinary Thermal Paste which we use for the Socket 478 processor, you will yourself discover the difference.

Below i give you a quote from the website of Aritic Silver itself, see what they themselves say about it.

Hope this opens your EYES forever.

Controlled Triple-Phase Viscosity:
Arctic Silver 5 does not contain any silicone. The suspension fluid is a proprietary mixture of advanced polysynthetic oils that work together to provide three distinctive functional phases. As it comes from the tube, Arctic Silver 5's consistency is engineered for easy application. During the CPU's initial use, the compound thins out to enhance the filling of the microscopic valleys and ensure the best physical contact between the heatsink and the CPU core. Then the compound thickens slightly over the next 50 to 200 hours of use to its final consistency designed for long-term stability.
(This should not be confused with conventional phase change pads that are pre-attached to many heatsinks. Those pads melt each time they get hot then re-solidify when they cool. The viscosity changes that Arctic Silver 5 goes through are much more subtle and ultimately much more effective.)

Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

^ So this is how the CPU can be permanently damaged.

Absolute Stability:
Arctic Silver 5 will not separate, run, migrate, or bleed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Specifications:

Thermal Conductance:
>350,000W/m2 °C (0.001 inch layer)

Thermal Resistance:
<0.0045°C-in2/Watt (0.001 inch layer)

Average Particle Size:
<0.49 microns <0.000020 inch

Extended Temperature Limits:
Peak: –50°C to >180°C Long-Term: –50°C to 130°C

Performance:
3 to 12 degrees centigrade lower CPU full load core temperatures than standard thermal compounds or thermal pads when measured with a calibrated thermal diode imbedded in the CPU core.

Coverage Area:
Arctic Silver 5 is sold in 3.5 gram and 12 gram tubes. The 3.5 gram tube contains enough compound to cover at least 15 to 25 small CPU cores, or 6 to 10 large CPU cores, or 2 to 5 heat plates. At a layer 0.003" thick, the 3.5 gram tube will cover approximately 16 square inches.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Important Reminder:
Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired.

^ And you were saying there will be NO drop in temperature, silly you!!!
:twisted:

Even though Arctic Silver thermal compound is specifically engineered for high electrical resistance, you should keep the compound away from processor, memory, and motherboard traces and pins. There is a possibility that dust or metal particles and/or shavings carried by the airflow inside the computer case could contaminate the compound and increase its electrical conductivity.

^ Understood something ? This is how damage could be caused

Thermal pads are made with paraffin wax that melts once it gets hot. When it melts, it will fill in the microscopic valleys in the heatsink with wax

^ This is one of the many differences between a Thermal PAD and Thermal Paste

Hope this helps! If you need for post back.

And good luck.

Oh yes! besides, the training, all companies provides training to there dealers. So, I got the training understood.

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
guys...guys....guys.....c'mon....STOP fighting!!!!

everyone is correct and true to their respective senses....

lets all agree on one point...

PROCESSOR SHOULD BE RUN WITHOUT HEATSINK AND FAN !!!!!
:)) :))

cyrux

In the zone
I dont think there is any fighting over here. No harsh words used no abusive language used This is just a good healthy debate due to contradiction in views or communication. I think such debates shouldnt be discouraged . Its due to such debates the 2 persons involved and many other readers come to know about such new things

But lets keep it cool and no flaming grinning here

OP
ymhatre

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
cyrux said:
If ymhatre got his cooling device he should mention it here and inform about this product , cost so that it can help others.
Sorry Guys.. but im confused between wht to go for n wht no to...
I feel tht i shld be diplomatic...
Both of them had justified me by mentioning linkss all stuff.
So please conlcude me a final solution...
I HAVE STARTED FEELING like hanging sword is on my head....
please tell me wht to do....
As i mentioned earlier.. ihav got budget abt 500...
but could make 1500 if i wait for abt a month...
so im confused on wht to go for..
Shld i go for thermal paste... or shld i fix new heatsink(blue Ice) or shld i add abt four fans to this cabinet...
My sole purpose is to overclock my intel 2.66 to say abt 3/3.2 GHz..wiht out much inscrease in temperaure...
current temp of proci is around... 40c...
n always remain around 40 - 39 c
only increase till 45- 47 c while playing games like NFSMW...
so tell me guys now wht to do....

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
cyrux said:
But lets keep it cool and no flaming grinning here

you think iam the one who is flaming?????? :evil:
If yes then check your eye-sight,you are not clearly looking at posts...

and as far as coming to the point whether it should be discouraged or not-i never discouraged them,ppl can go on quoting each other as much as possible....but do you by any chance know the real problem or query thread starter posted...he wanted a simple answer...a few cooling solutions under 500 bucks...with so much confusion between views ppl who are new to this are surely going to get lost..

OP
ymhatre

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
grinning_devil said:
.but do you by any chance know the real problem or query thread starter posted...he wanted a simple answer...a few cooling solutions under 500 bucks...with so much confusion between views ppl who are new to this are surely going to get lost..

thnx for being supportive...
I guess u only understood my confusion...
Please guys i need answers...

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
ymhatre said:
My sole purpose is to overclock my intel 2.66 to say abt 3/3.2 GHz..wiht out much inscrease in temperaure...
current temp of proci is around... 40c...
n always remain around 40 - 39 c
only increase till 45- 47 c while playing games like NFSMW...
so tell me guys now wht to do....

Overclocking a 2.66 GHz processor to 3/3.2 GHz is no joke buddy. You will need *good* cooling if you want to do that. Go for a new heatsink (coolermaster or something like that). And if your processor temp remains around 39-40 degrees, i must say im impressed.. Thats too low for a prescott!

OP
ymhatre

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
Thnx kapil for ur reply...
i do agree tht i will need some good devices for tht...
so i hav asked to all u experts over here..
i know it would be though thing at budget of max 1500Rs
but this procii really remains around 39 c to 40 c
see this to believe...
I had on my Pc at 5.45 pm around..
since till 8.00 pm i was playing NFSMW...
then since after 8.00 pm my net starts i logged ont to the net...
n for ur information i dont hav any AC in my room n also ceiling fan is abt 1.5 - 2 metre away frm the PC cabinet...
Also tht fan is not at full speed...
*images5.pictiger.com/thumbs/35/904a8c05931d761aaaca3a4da415fc35.th.jpg

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
hey ymhatre , listen if ur short on funds right now , then do put the fans in ur G300 as i mentioned earlier .. 2 80mm in front sucking air inside and 2 80 mm ones pulling the air outside the cabinet .. also make sure the fan on the side panel is pulling the air inside .. and go for local brand fans ..

they are like 35-40 rs each .. also u can go for the thermal paste like arctic silver 5 or coolermaster premium one if u have any money left .. 8)

also u can go for cooler master hyper 48 cpu cooler later .. those are not in stock right now .. it is very good .. or hyper 6+ which is better but very heavy .. could break ur mobo if not handled properly ..

contact -
Matrix3D Infocom

022-23084511 - and ask for person called asif .. he will give u all the details ..

OP
ymhatre

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
thnx Yogi...
if i consider ur suggestion then...
lets see...
2x front pannel
2 x rear
1 x Side pannel
___________ ie
5 x 40 Rs = 200 Rs...
now 300 Rs will be left...
if i go for Artic silver ie around 670 i will be requiring 370 Rs more...

But if i go for Blue Ice at 570 i will be requiring 270 Rs more...

So wht shld i doo
Artic siver or Blue ice...
Wh do u think guys which would be better for overclocking... also consider budget...

kalpik

@ymhatre: Just a thought.. What are you using to measure the temperatures? Are you sure the readings for the CPU and Motherboard are not interchanged?? Try measuring with the intel utility you got with your Motherboard (or check in the bios). Even then, i must say your CPU runs *very* cool! I've got an AMD, and its running like 32 degrees right now (oh and its been on since morning ;)). But AMD's (the newer ones) run a lot cooler than intel's. And prescott is infamous for heating! Thats why im really surprised its running soo cool! Touch wood dude! Also, you can try overclocking it and recording the temperatures. Around 45-50 degrees at idle is quite normal for prescott (or so i've seen!)..

cyrux

In the zone
grinning_devil said:
you think iam the one who is flaming?????? :evil:
If yes then check your eye-sight,you are not clearly looking at posts...

One simple question my friend...when did i point you ... I was just speaking for common.

i know the author wanted a simple answer but if there is something extra to read and learn..good for us

Ymhatre please do tell what did u go for ..coz even i m planning for a cooling solution and my budget is just 500...wud be the same even if i wait for 6 months..lol

kalpik

^^ Exactly what i thought! But his is running at 38 degrees at idle!!! I really cannot believe that!! And yours would not be overclocked, right grinning_devil??

OP
ymhatre

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
kalpik said:
@ymhatre: Just a thought.. What are you using to measure the temperatures? Are you sure the readings for the CPU and Motherboard are not interchanged?? Try measuring with the intel utility you got with your Motherboard (or check in the bios). Even then, i must say your CPU runs *very* cool! I've got an AMD, and its running like 32 degrees right now (oh and its been on since morning ;)). But AMD's (the newer ones) run a lot cooler than intel's. And prescott is infamous for heating! Thats why im really surprised its running soo cool! Touch wood dude! Also, you can try overclocking it and recording the temperatures. Around 45-50 degrees at idle is quite normal for prescott (or so i've seen!)..

Im using ASUS Probe 2 provided with my mobo cd..
to double check tht i hav even checked it at bios...
infact at bios is even lesser than this...its around 36c..
may be restarting the Pc to get into the bios may be the reason of showing 36c.

But even imediately after this when i load windows its around 38 - 39c ....
as u said ur Pc is on frm morning...
Please check My OC (OVERCLOCK ) topic...
there i hav posted my temperature of PC... which was on for more than 24 hrs on stretch but it still remained around 39 c...
Im not saying tht my Pc is "the" or ur is " the'"
BUt making u aware tht wht i spoke was not false...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom