To use Windows Updates or not ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dhruv11

Broken In
I recently formatted my pc and reinstalled XP pro. And as expected automatic updates are on their way to get installed.

Here is my problem now. I remember last time when updates were downloaded my 20 GB partition (17.3 GB free) showed only 4 GB free space after that :confused: :confused:

I dnt knw if it was coz of downloaded updates or something else. Do these updates really occupy that much space ?

And once updates are downloaded and installed can i delete the files in

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download ???

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
select the downloads u want to download it also shows the size of the downloads besides i dont think updates take sooooo much space

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Windows XP SP2 after clean installation will take around 100MB of updates download. It is always a good thing to keep it updated. Go for it.

Jags

Journeyman
Kiran_tech_mania said:
Windows XP SP2 after clean installation will take around 100MB of updates download. It is always a good thing to keep it updated. Go for it.

well i nvr go for these updates..as i feel that they make my PC realllllllllllllllllllllllllllly slow...now im not saying that im doing a very smart thing here..but i feel that the trade off b/w speed and security is jst nt worth it..

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Originally Posted by Jags
well i nvr go for these updates..as i feel that they make my PC realllllllllllllllllllllllllllly slow...now im not saying that im doing a very smart thing here..but i feel that the trade off b/w speed and security is jst nt worth it..
They make PC slow? Never heard that. Usually updates are fixes to bugs found in OS. It will improve performance and reduce vulnerability to threats.

OP
D

Dhruv11

Broken In
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
goto *update.microsoft.com and manually select which updates you wanna install .

Little problem here too.
I dnt knw which of the updates are essential and which are not.
Lets just get it simple, suppose i turn on automatic updates, now my question is whether i can delete the files in C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download after updates are installed or not ?

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Dhruv11 said:
Little problem here too.
I dnt knw which of the updates are essential and which are not.
Lets just get it simple, suppose i turn on automatic updates, now my question is whether i can delete the files in C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download after updates are installed or not ?

Yes. You can delete them. These are uninstallation stuff of downloaded Windows hotfixes which are already installed. If needed, you can download them via updates again.

Last edited:

janitha

Wise Old Owl
I feel the problem is that all the available updates are selected. I select the "custom" option which downloads critical ones only. Mine is upto date till the latest and out of 20 GB Of C drive about 15 is free.

Sorry, it is "Express" and not custom.

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
The best thing to do is get hold of Autopatcher August Core version (Its a heavy download tho, 350mb or so) or you may get it from some Mag CD/DVD (most of them bundle it every month).

Then the amount of updates you'll need to download will be quite less. But IMHO its better not to neglect any updates.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
^^^ Dude, he is not ready to go for Automatic updates just because it occupies too much space. Forget about Autopatcher! :D

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Yeah, after applying the patches, he can delete all the installation files. Plus he'll get all the patches in a single installer. He can decide what to patch and what not to!

OP
D

Dhruv11

Broken In
Man this is getting more confusing.
ok 1 more question. lol before formatting i copied the files in
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download to another partition. Now if i copy them back to their original location, will Windows pick those updates too ? Or do i hv to download all updates once again ?

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Dhruv11 said:
Man this is getting more confusing.
ok 1 more question. lol before formatting i copied the files in
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download to another partition. Now if i copy them back to their original location, will Windows pick those updates too ? Or do i hv to download all updates once again ?

Those files are uninstallers references of hotfixes which are not needed. You may delete them anytime.

OP
D

Dhruv11

Broken In
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Here comes the bad part !!!!
Im downloading most recommended updates and just now when i checked the free space available in my partition C:\ ; its only 12 GB out of 20 GB.

I dnt think apps i hv installed ate up that much of space. Y is it happening then ???
Same happened with me when i freshly installed installed XP last time :(
View attachment 1202

I think my pc is posessed by an evil spirit :twisted:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom