Think Digit Yahoo Conference/Room

Should we start a Chat room on Yahoo? Like the good ol' days?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

din

Tribal Boy
Oh sorry, I missed this thread.

Well, thanks a lot for taking me back to the good old (golden) days. That was really nice. Most of the active members in TD forum had yahoo ids, at around 3 or 4 in the evening, someone will start a conf and we used to invite others, like 10 - 20 members. I remember Sr-Ultimate (Sreejith), Jeba, Anirudh (infra), Goobi, Pallabh, Drudgy, Batty, Nemi, Vinay and many other senior members.

I do not know whether there is lag in yahoo conf, never felt so, but I am old and not a g33k, so I may be wrong. lol.

I know there are many who prefer yahoo over IRC. I think Goobi is one among those.

Personally I prefer yahoo conf (may be coz it reminds me the good old days !), but now it is up to the new generation. If you guys think IRC is the one we should use now, no problem.

Meantime, I have some digit user ids (like 15 or 20) in my yahoo messenger friends list. If anyone want to add an old guy in their list, always welcome, pm me.

And those who support yahoo conf, I think you can go ahead too. Add yahoo ids, invite for a conf some day, and we will see how many can attend etc.

F

FilledVoid

I don't see the point in discussing this . Ive been trying to find a yahoo/AIM chat room but either no one is there or I cant find the room. Why not just start and see how it works. Personally I'll still be on IRC but I'm sure that others would join if the room was up and busy.

Another option is to put one of those applet thingies on a website which you could chat on. I recall being able to do that some years ago?

din

Tribal Boy
@FilledVoid

Hmm, seems you tried the AIM chat room the other member suggested ? No, I do not think yahoo is ready yet. Before we used to do yahoo conf and not a room. Sure we can try a conf, may be tomo ?

F

FilledVoid

Hmm, seems you tried the AIM chat room the other member suggested ? No, I do not think yahoo is ready yet. Before we used to do yahoo conf and not a room. Sure we can try a conf, may be tomo ?
How does this work? Does it work on Pidgin? Does someone need to invite me for conference?

din

Tribal Boy
Yahoo conf is very simple actually. When you im someone in yahoo, only 2 talk (you and the person on the other end) rt ? Here it will be more than 2. Thats teh only difference. You can see others typing, who are all there in conf (on rt side there will be a list - just like in IRC).

I think everything similar to IRC, except there is not a permanent room in yahoo conf. Some one has to start a conf by inviting others.

F

FilledVoid

I think everything similar to IRC, except there is not a permanent room in yahoo conf. Some one has to start a conf by inviting others.
Is there a way to know if a person has a Conf running?

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
Oh sorry, I missed this thread.

Well, thanks a lot for taking me back to the good old (golden) days. That was really nice. Most of the active members in TD forum had yahoo ids, at around 3 or 4 in the evening, someone will start a conf and we used to invite others, like 10 - 20 members. I remember Sr-Ultimate (Sreejith), Jeba, Anirudh (infra), Goobi, Pallabh, Drudgy, Batty, Nemi, Vinay and many other senior members.

I do not know whether there is lag in yahoo conf, never felt so, but I am old and not a g33k, so I may be wrong. lol.

I know there are many who prefer yahoo over IRC. I think Goobi is one among those.

Personally I prefer yahoo conf (may be coz it reminds me the good old days !), but now it is up to the new generation. If you guys think IRC is the one we should use now, no problem.

Meantime, I have some digit user ids (like 15 or 20) in my yahoo messenger friends list. If anyone want to add an old guy in their list, always welcome, pm me.

And those who support yahoo conf, I think you can go ahead too. Add yahoo ids, invite for a conf some day, and we will see how many can attend etc.

Thanks for replying, bhaiya. Now I guess it's time to work out the things.

I don't see the point in discussing this . Ive been trying to find a yahoo/AIM chat room but either no one is there

You can't create custom rooms on Yahoo anymore (I guess). I forgot about that. Yahoo conference is the only option now.

What about Google Lively? What is it actually? Can anyone explain?

goobimama

 Macboy
How about all you guys come crash at my place?

Pros:
1. Beers.
2. Small Cat.
3. No lag/downtime/software incompatibility.
4. We can kick gx, metaaal and narangz out without reason.

Cons.
1. Goobi is admin. :D

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
How about all you guys come crash at my place?

Pros:
1. Beers.
2. Small Cat.
3. No lag/downtime/software incompatibility.
4. We can kick gx, metaaal and narangz out without reason.

Cons.
1. Goobi is admin. :D

Hehe :D I guess I'll have to bring you something (;)) that will keep you happy & I'll secure my place. :cool:

The IRC is only Linux, linux and more linus also some Arch linux.
thats because linux has insane IRC support. so most linux users have an irc client by default. Even you windows users can come... just use chatzilla :p
It's the memories, the fun we had. You were never there so you won't know.
back then, I was a weeeny little non geek who had no such thing as a computer at home. :(
And what is the point of this yahoo vs IRC? If you want to create a yahoo chat room, just call others and create, why the fuss about demeaning IRC with that ridiculously offensive and stupid poll?

Poll Edited
+1
besides, yahoo != crossplatform :mad:
Yeah same here. I don't know why but IRC doesn't excite me :|

-------

I see we can't create rooms anymore. I forgot that. So what else we can do? Conference?
IRC is quite awssome. Its been here since 1988, so its tested and fun. Its so awssome, that we often still use IRC comments here, like /me.
/me loves IRC
like the Chatzilla interface

+1 for IRC

Offtopic
when did Win ver of X-chat become trialware :(
was it not free till at least a year back?
xchat is supposed to be difficult to compile on windows and it supposedly has some enhanced features according to its developers. hence its binary is a trialware for windows. its sourcecode is still opensource, and its linux version is a free opensource software. but there do exist freeware compiles of xchat for windows. get one of them.

another reason is this: genuine windows and mac users generally don't care spending a triffle for each app, compared to linux users. so why not make money when they are willing ? Besides, cracking always zindabad in windows world.

goobimama

 Macboy
I'm serious actually. All the digit boys plan a trip to Goa and we have a big smashing party at my place. I'll send my folks on a holiday or something.

karmanya

Journeyman
Im actually down to bombay every monday to teach 5th class people in a school.
I guess i can catch a bus to goa

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
IRC is predeccesor or Yahoo Chat, Mr. Oldie :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom