"Things are about to change" Nokias decisive do or die moment on Sept 5th event

reniarahim1

Youngling
Re: "Things are about to change" Nokias decisive do or die moment on Sept 5th event

any one able to watch nokia live web cast. Its showing "The service is unavailable".

update:- streaming video now, but no audio..

Krow

Crowman
^Don't forget the Nokia N8 and the Nokia 808 , so called 41MP camera phone (their marketing gimmick).
-----------------------------
I really don't understand why Nokia is not going for AnDroids.Is it becuase of the TIe-up with Mircosoft ?
People love Nokia , but unfortunately they love AnDroids more than Nokia.
I just wished Droids had a decent battery life.

Perfect example of a completely ignorant post. You have never used the Nokia 808 PureView and yet you will call it a marketing gimmick. When respected photography sites like dpreview have said the camera is no gimmick, on what do you base your opinion on? I have used the PureView and the pictures are purely stunning for a phone camera. It beats most point and shoot cameras easily. For photography and video recording, the 808 is better than iPhone and Galaxy SIII.

Review: Nokia 808 PureView: Digital Photography Review
dpreview said:
One of the reasons why Nokia has incorporated such a high pixel count is to allow the 808 to produce better quality lower-resolution images (3MP, 5MP or 8MP).

There are inexpensive compact cameras that offer more photographer-friendly features than the 808, but as a cameraphone, the Nokia blows its competition out of the water, and significantly narrows the gap between dedicated cameras and portable communications devices to the point where ultimate convergence seems all but inevitable (and probably sooner than some commentators had realised).

The 808 proves that Nokia can innovate, and its PureView technology has piqued the interest of serious photographers, being one of the most important innovations - arguably the most important - in mobile photography since the smarphone era dawned five or so years ago. As such, the 808 is intriguing not just in itself, but because of what it represents. Things could be about to get interesting...

I've had enough of people posting crap about why Nokia didn't choose Android. It is not going to happen. Any more rubbish post about that and I will delete them. Even for low-end phones, Nokia will slowly phase out Symbian and introduce Windows Phones. They signed an exclusivity deal with Microsoft. This means no matter what, they will not go for Android or any other OS.

Sarath

iDota
The next batch of Nokia's truly look interesting. I have seen a lot of adoption lately of Nokia phones. A lot of them are quite oblivious to the restrictions Win 7.x poses but they have been primed by iOS into thinking that limitations are part of such high end offerings. Also the fact that both iOS and Wins give a much smoother experience with inferior hardware makes Android look pale in comparison. Which is a pity considering how us Android users know that the OS has much more to offer. But since a lot of users don't really use all the features, they never feel hit by a wall of restrictions.

A lot of my friends have opted for Android because they couldn't afford an iPhone. If Win 8 is as good as it sounds, then coupled with Nokia, I see a lot of people shifting to the Nokias of the future. Especially considering the tight integration with the Win tablet etc...

Things look interesting for Nokia :)

rider

as Kratos
I can feel positive vibes that nokia will be back in future market soon. For this first they should sell Lumia phones for negligible profit margin.

Hrishi

Re: "Things are about to change" Nokias decisive do or die moment on Sept 5th event

Perfect example of a completely ignorant post. You have never used the Nokia 808 PureView and yet you will call it a marketing gimmick. When respected photography sites like dpreview have said the camera is no gimmick, on what do you base your opinion on? I have used the PureView and the pictures are purely stunning for a phone camera. It beats most point and shoot cameras easily. For photography and video recording, the 808 is better than iPhone and Galaxy SIII.

Review: Nokia 808 PureView: Digital Photography Review

The important concept is the Pure View and Over Sampling technology used in it. ANd not the , 41Mega Pixel sensor itself.
41MegaPixel sensor does helps in producing excellent and one of the best quality images at 8Mpx , but consider comparing it to a photo taken at 41Mega pixel by a camera instead.

No wonder , its a break-through in cameraphone , but saying its a real 41megapixel cameraphone still makes me wonder.

41 MegaPixel is a trick(a real one , but still a trick ). Can you get the same quality images at 41Mega Pixel(in full resolution) that you can bring at 8mega Pixel(in full resolution) in the same device ?? Nope.

41mega Pixel sensor is there to enhance picture quality at lower resolution using over sampling. It helps in getting more detailed images and better zoom.

I never heard that a phone with 5 mega pixel sensor will make 1.3Mega pixel photo better and 5 Mega Pixel picture not so great(unless using the new technology ).

Its not about the number of pixels that you have , its basically how you use those number of pixels.

These days , Nokia is branding its newer phone as pureview cameraphone, rather than sporting the amount of mega pixels invovled. Which is more wiser and realistic than throwing the word about a 41 mega pixel cameraphone.

I've had enough of people posting crap about why Nokia didn't choose Android. It is not going to happen. Any more rubbish post about that and I will delete them. Even for low-end phones, Nokia will slowly phase out Symbian and introduce Windows Phones. They signed an exclusivity deal with Microsoft. This means no matter what, they will not go for Android or any other OS.

People asking/posting about Why Nokia didn't choose Android isn't totally a Crap.Deleting posts like that would mean that you are not allowing people to express their opinion on what could have happened if Nokia were to choose android. Although , its a completely different fact that Nokia is currently not going to go Android.
You want to kill "What If ?". huh...

Btw, we are none to say that what Nokia will do in its future.Its all buisness, they can change their policy and deals for their survival.So if someone thinks its not gonna happen ever , might get wrong.

Anyways we can only expect , not plan or confirm.

And after all , it was not me saying that its a complete marketing gimmick. If you will go through the post you will notice that I mentioned its "so called " , which means many people are buzzing about the real quality of 41mp. If you were to understand the meaning of the post I made , it clearly expresses that Nokia N8 and Nokia 808 are outstanding camera phones right now.I replied it for the question made by the user above me , that Nokia does have outstanding devices in Camera segment.

I think , It was you who took it as a meaningless ignorant post , becuase either I lack the way to express or because you don't to how to get things altogether.
And , fanciboy you are not the only one here , amonst those who have used N808 , so stop brandishing that experience. I mean , seriously thats quite a rude way to go up against a comment .

Krow

Crowman
Even at 38 MP, the quality is pretty good. This is no marketing gimmick. They said its a 41 MP sensor, not that it's a 41 MP camera.

No one wants to know what if Nokia had chosen Android everytime there's a Nokia discussion. Their windows phones are better than most of the Android drivel out there. My comment was a general remark against going offtopic.

Edit : Lol, did you just say fanciboy? You don't have to be fancy to try out Nokia 808. And if I've used it and found that the camera is not a gimmick, I have every right to say so.

Hrishi

I still wonder why people consider so much ,in fact almost everything about the MegaPixel size when talking about hte picture quality , specially with the new emerging technologies.
As far as 38MP pic is concerned , there is no use of such high resolution pics as such. Someone will click a 38 or 34 MegaPixel Picture simply just to get a very big print.Well , IMO it will not be wise to get such a big print using a phone's camera. Pro's will always use DSLR instead.

They have somehow integrated that huge 41Megapixel sensor to aid in getting outstanding pics at real-life resolution(5 mega-pixel , 8Mpx, ..).
There was quite lesser point in giving the ability to snap a 38mp pic.

Anyways , it was not such a good idea for me to get us off topic. :(

No one wants to know what if Nokia had chosen Android everytime there's a Nokia discussion. Their windows phones are better than most of the Android drivel out there.
I haven't come across any WP8 yet in my hands .SO I have no opinions on this.
I hope whatver you mentioned for Nokia WP8 comes true.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl

You should read this :

Image sensor format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and this :

Nokia 808 PureView - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PureView Pro specifications
Sensor
41 megapixel CMOS image sensor, 1/1.2" image sensor format with 7728 x 5368 pixels, pixel size: 1.4 microns.
Lens
Carl Zeiss optics with F-number: f/2.4. Focal length: 8.02mm: 35mm equivalent focal length: 26mm @ 16:9 and 28mm @ 4:3. Construction: 5 elements in 1 group. All lens surfaces are aspherical, partly extreme aspheric,[7] one high refractive index, low-dispersion glass mould lens.
Focus range
15 cm – Infinity (throughout the zoom range).
Shutter
Mechanical shutter with short shutter lag[8] and ND8 (3 f-stops) neutral density filter
Processing
On-chip image processor performing image scaling with oversampling, giving lossless (digital) zoom: 4x for full HD 1080p video with on-chip video processor performing image resolution processing with over 1 billion pixels per second[8] enabling the use of all pixels for improved image noise and dynamic range
[edit]Image sensor
PureView Pro sensor has an active area of 7728 x 5368 pixels, totalling over 41Mpix. Depending on the aspect ratio chosen by the user, it will use 7728 x 4354 pixels for 16:9 images/videos, or 7152 x 5368 pixels for 4:3 images/videos. What happens next depends on the settings and whether or not zoom is used. But to give an idea, the default still image setting is 5Mpix at 16:9, and for video, 1080p at 30fps. Using these settings, the zoom is around 3x for stills and 4x for video. Conventional digital zoom tends to scale up images from a relatively low resolution, resulting in poor image quality.
The image sensor is capable not only of delivering parts of its pixels, but of down- or oversampling its resolution by having its own on-chip image processor, highly reducing external processing needs and data rates as well as image noise (see noise shaping) when lower resolutions (or HD video) are needed. Additionally this provides very high image resolution. Images up to 38 megapixels can be taken at full resolution at 4:3 aspect ratio and 34 megapixels at 16:9 ratio.

That clearly states the active area is resulting in a 41 mp sensor, also the size of the sensor is pretty big for a phone camera.

While a DSLR released by pentax is 2010 the 40mp 645D has a 1.7 x 1.3 inch sensor

So the sensor size compared to a good quality DSLR camera is very small, thus it is stupid to compare the quality of the nokia phone with a DSLR or even a point to shoot camera.

I still wonder why people consider so much ,in fact almost everything about the MegaPixel size when talking about hte picture quality , specially with the new emerging technologies.
As far as 38MP pic is concerned , there is no use of such high resolution pics as such. Someone will click a 38 or 34 MegaPixel Picture simply just to get a very big print.Well , IMO it will not be wise to get such a big print using a phone's camera. Pro's will always use DSLR instead.

They have somehow integrated that huge 41Megapixel sensor to aid in getting outstanding pics at real-life resolution(5 mega-pixel , 8Mpx, ..).
There was quite lesser point in giving the ability to snap a 38mp pic.

Anyways , it was not such a good idea for me to get us off topic. :(

I haven't come across any WP8 yet in my hands .SO I have no opinions on this.
I hope whatver you mentioned for Nokia WP8 comes true.

I have used a pre-testing beta device samsung wp8 tablet. ( sorry cant post info about it as it is a little hush-hush) Its pretty good, i was not allowed to see the hardware specs but my guess is it was running a dual core 1.2ghz processor + 512mb ram atleast and the experience was fluid. The build quality was okay. But i cant say much more about it at this point in time

Hrishi

^
Well , I saw some people comparing its pic at pureview mode to a Mark 5D III camera , which has 21MP sensor. and is quite expensive camera. They said the results were quite good. i mean difference wasn't that high.

Well , it certainly gives normal point and shoot camera run for money.No doubt , buts still a phone.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl

^
Well , I saw some people comparing its pic at pureview mode to a Mark 5D III camera , which has 21MP sensor. and is quite expensive camera. They said the results were quite good. i mean difference wasn't that high.

Well , it certainly gives normal point and shoot camera run for money.No doubt , buts still a phone.

Yes that is something people dont understand. like suppose i have a run of the mill 12mp camera. i get a normal DSLR like a nikon D3100 then the jump in quality will be 2x at 2x the price, but as i keep on going higher and getting much more expensive cameras say like 3x price of nikon d3100 then the jump in quality will be 0.2x

No doubt the camera quality is amazing, but still to spend so much money on a camera phone is putting your money in fire, id rather get a DSLR and a normal phone for that much

Krow

Crowman
Pureview is a potential gamechanger. I wouldn't be surprised to see people expecting more from their phone cameras and switching to Nokia for Pureview.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl

but at what price ? 35k i believe it is selling for ? no thanks a DSLR + phone

and lets face it, a phone camera will never be able to beat a DSLR

32k ~ :mad:

*www.flipkart.com/nikon-d3100-slr/p/itmczc2ggnynxkft?pid=CAMCVYDJFGDFZJAG&ref=f678a52c-e3fa-43ed-ad97-56dcf29ec1aa @ 29k :D

Hrishi

IMHO , the Nokia 808 is a handy tool for the people , who already own a DSLR and don't want to carry the bulky thing everywhere , but can't sacrifice image quality as well.
Its most llikely to be the choice of people who are looking for an excellent camera phone.
undoubtedly the best one.

But if someone buys it mainly to serve the purpose of a camera , then its not wise.

mastervk

In the zone
^

it is not megapixel which make Mark or similar range DSRL much better than camera phone..its other factors like low light performance ,speed performance,noise reduction,manual controls like exposure iso white balance,RAW and so on..
no photographer who want to earn money will use pure view instead of DSLR (unless working on some specific project or maybe in emergency)..

pureview is best among camera phone and can be compared with low range DSLR too(for day light photo) ,but those who use DSLR dont use (or should not use) DSLR only for MP but for other reason as specified above..

i doubt pureview can give better result than low end DSLR + 50mm prime in even day light ...

reniarahim1

Youngling
Re: "Things are about to change" Nokias decisive do or die moment on Sept 5th even

so let wp8 flop...nokia got backup plan to jump into android or meegO

dont think wp8 will be a flop. looks like its one of the fluid and stable os. if it gets app support wp8 is gonna rock.

Top Bottom