Make Way the LORD is Here
*hdwallpapersmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/windows-10.jpg

This Thread is for everything on windows(mobile) i.e. for phones and tablets
be it apps, updates, problems etc.

Last edited:

rajan1311

Padawan
Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Will be applying the update on my phone today... I did face the keyboard issue at times... Nice that they fixed it :)

Btw guys, any good apps on the market?

noob

Cyborg Agent

4th and mayor
AppTastic
Birdsong
BookMyShow
Connectivity shortcuts
IBNLive
IMDB
Moneycontrol
Mid day

Cant recommend any single IM app..be it IM+ or WhatsApp because both are pathetic on WP and equally awesome on Android. Blame the OS for same and not app developers.

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

i've posted the 4 i've been using...

i'm acollege guy so i've found a new app for myself... we need this in college :p

Where's my money?

btw, did you get the notification or you're doing a forced update? cause i have not got the notification for 8107 till now

noob

Cyborg Agent

i've posted the 4 i've been using...

i'm acollege guy so i've found a new app for myself... we need this in college :p

*www.windowsphone.com/en-IN/apps/46aa9e8e-cbe9-49ad-a267-41038e837935

btw, did you get the notification or you're doing a forced update? cause i have not got the notification for 8107 till now

same here but got the notification this way....download any random app from market....in date and time settings make sure you have UTC 5:30 time zone and set automatically is turned OFF. connect phone to zune and you should get the update...which phone you got ?

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

Samsung Omnia W

btw whats with the boring nokia lumia 800 siggy? i'm enjoying WP a lot

noob

Cyborg Agent

Samsung Omnia W

btw whats with the boring nokia lumia 800 siggy? i'm enjoying WP a lot

Lack of quality apps, Lack of free apps , OS restrictions, crap zune software, WP UI controls reminds me a lot about my old WinMo 6.5 phone.. dumb metro UI (e.g Facebook app has metro UI which is totally BS ...look at twitter metro UI ...super awesome.. ) will post about it in details this weekend for sure..this metro UI is a double edged sword..will mostly post a blog it. it been on my mind since i have started using WP.

Infact MS has this habit of serving old wine in new bottle..same is for WP :)
Current WP home-screen = Stock WinMo 6.5 home screen (present same things in square + make it interactive)

UI elements : It has not at all changed. We have clearly seen how UI elements got slow yet nice update...you can clearly see the difference in basic UI elements (buttons , scroll bar ,progress bar ) ..see how they looked in Windows 98,Windows XP and Windows 7.
No such transition (i am not talking about animation) from WinMo 6.5 to WP7.

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

hmmm , you seem to have a different opnion, everyone i have shown my phone have fallen in love with WP ui and love metro/live tile concept..
i've been using it for so many days, i still enjoy it

noob

Cyborg Agent

hmmm , you seem to have a different opnion, everyone i have shown my phone have fallen in love with WP ui and love metro/live tile concept..
i've been using it for so many days, i still enjoy it

Yes. My opinion is bit different because I am using both Android and WP and hence can pin point which things are better on given OS. Ofcourse, it is from my point of view. :)

Even i do and love tiles But it gets boring over the period of time. Add the broken notification system of WP to it. Also after extensively using WP, i have came to the conclusion that tiles and having list of installed apps in vertical list is not more functional compared to widgets and grid style layout. Also multiple home-screen is a MUST have these days.
It is real PITA to find 1 app from list of apps as i have to scroll n number of times. Also there is a limit to no of tiles one can have.

On the other hand, on iOS and Android you can have small icons placed on home screen which saves UI space when compared to tiles + you can keep more icons in 1 screen = easy locating particular app from huge list of installed apps. If at all you want something auto updating , you can have a real interactive widgets.

Even scrolling is not smooth on WP compared to iOS as of now. This is bound to get huge improvement in next OS update.

*looks like i need to stop now and put my thoughts on blog* On a positive note, Apollo update will bring native C++ coding to WP and it will be a game changer..late 2012 or Q1 of 2013.

Last edited:

rajan1311

Padawan

Won it at a Nokia quiz buddy.. Should have got the 800 but am happy with the 710...

I do agree, there is a serious lack of quality apps - free apps on the market..
the YouTube app ain't even an app, MS could have at least done that well...

I an just using board express and easymusic&ring ..

I got the notification on my phone that the update is available...
Do i have to backup all my stuff before i update?

any chance of getting flash support ? At least flash lite or something...

noob

Cyborg Agent

Cool......buddy. :) No backup required..and how would you even backup ? esp contacts and SMS ? there is no way to do it as of now. (if it is , let me know) So just update and enjoy :)

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

When you update auto backup & restore takes place . Anyway your pics will be synced with zune so don't worry

Sent from my GT-I8350 using Board Express

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

Ok... so I have got my hands on a Windows Phone, HTC 7 Mozart, for "a day"... to fiddle with!!
(given to me by a friend who doesn't know how to operate it! :D)

Now, I have few hours to learn and experiment on it as much as I like.

Due to an Android user, I hope I just pop in the SIM into it, and it starts to sync everything from cloud.

Update: Ok, I was able to find a way to open the backpanel and slide in the sim. So far this is what I have discovered in the phone:
1. This handset doesn't support gprs settings and to add airtelgprs.com as Access name (as written on a message). But I am not able to find the setting in which I should put it!
2. A female voice reads out the number when a call is received! :D Nice!
3. Everything is Tile based, and lack of menus is making me a little uneasy!
4. But, the animation between the different tiles is fluid and subtle animations in the background looks nice!

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

it does support gprs but through an app, samsung phones have the wireless manager or network profile, HTC must be having a similar app.

btw, theres always settings >mobile networks> add apn , try that

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

Update2: I did find the APN setting and was able to transfer a picture that I needed to get from phone. Since, I couldn't send it through Bluetooth to my Android! :( (hated the phone for this).

But after the phone was connected to hotmail account, it automatically synced all the contacts on my live ID. (This was a major task for me).

But the absence of a context menu button makes me uneasy a lot of time!

Now exploring what kind of games and features does it supports.

Btw, I now know why the tagline of WP7 is, "Putting People first". Since the phone contains an app called, "People" on the first row of Home screen (?) :D

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

you'll get used to now context menu, u'll learn the WP way ;)

and the reason for putting people first is not the peoples tile, it is about the integration of twitter ,fb and linked in, into the phone.. add all these accounts , use it , then you'll understand?

btw , what os version are you running?

settings>about my phone>more

Top Bottom