The Windows Mobile Thread

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Re: The Windows Phone Thread

More random updates (forgive the lousy punctuation :> ):

Love the keyboard's next word prediction. Its similar to swype's on android my friends tell me. Its pretty accurate most of the time in predicting the next word if you are typing "regular" english. Didnt find an option to add custom words to the dictionary, but was pleasantly surprised to see it learn new words with just 1-2 uses. has a special section to store recently used emoticons separately from the mass of other smileys, a nice touch. All these combined mean that I am having to actually punch in much lesser to type the same message on my 920 as compared to my Xperia ray. also find it much much easier to edit single mis-spelled characters thanks to the "floating" cursor (activated by a tap and hold on the text area). A very nice touch indeed.

Notifications appearing on the top can be swiped away to the right. Delivery reports are "messages" that appear as unread messages until you "see" them; not very amused about this one. Still dont miss the notification centre (I never used it all that much on my Xperia TBH, so my experience may be skewed to favour WP8). I wish the search and the back buttons were interchanged in their placement - cant reach the back button with one hand on the 920 while I can just about make it on the SIII. Note that I have smallish hands.

Nokia maps arent as good as google maps for out-and-out detail, but serve their purpose well. The GPS lock doesnt get lost even when you lock the screen to save battery. good. Camera excels in low light. Nearly matches my canon dslr in a random handheld, all-settings-auto test I conducted last night. Not great detail on the low light pics, but neither did the canon have any more. But definitely more saturated colors on the 920, hell, the photo looked better than the actual view :>
So, its a very impressive achievement indeed. In normal light, though much harder to see any difference (vs One X). I'l check if mine has the portico update and then comment.

No lag yet. I dont game much, but just for the sake of it downloaded some three simple free games and started all of them (penguin something, dalton something and free flow) and randomly switched between them and the homescreen. Not a hint of lag. Good.

Lasts a day with decently heavy usage. Possibly not as good as my Xperia, but maybe I am using the phone a bit too much currently as its new (even my Xperia's battery life seemed to get better to me after a couple of weeks). browsed a little bit on IE, its good as the reviewers say. Possibly a tad faster than the stock browser on the One X (JB). Just checked a couple of sites like engadget, espnstar : so no firm opinions there except that IE is definitely usable. I cant really say its the puremotion thingy at work, but zooming in on webpages is arguably smoother on the 920.

Had a bit of trouble getting my gmail to sync, not sure what was the issue as it disappeared on its own. Integration of mails and FB is top notch and really slick, though you dont get the option to edit your posts as in a normal browser. Havent downloaded the official facebook app (not going to either).

tkin

Back to school!!

A windows phone thread, perfect, please report on the others storage bug in win 8.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

My others folder was at 1.23G a couple of days ago, but now its a wee bit larger at 1.31G. From what I noticed, the size increases only when you download an OS component, say a keyboard language or say an app. The increase in size though is disproportionately large as the download of a 4MB neyboard zapped 60MB of space and an app less than 1MB took up 20MB of "others" space. Removing the app/keyboard doesnt reclaim the space. Futher, the uninstalltion occurs very quickly leading me to suspect that the increase in space is due to some kind of unzipping of the downloaded files that WP8 doesnt delete even when you uninstall the app. It could be a bug or it could be just that Windows is caching the files, in case you change opinion and install that app again (just my hypothesis)

Shah

Cyborg Agent

Hey guys, Look at this non-commercial L920 ad made by an fan. It's awesome.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl

some hope for hacks on wp8 :

RT Jailbreak Tool Lets Users Install Non-Microsoft Executables on Windows RT – xda-developers

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

And some more updates (I have been using the phone quite a lot):

If you are used to google maps you are gonna be dissapointed. Nokia drive is currently not the slickest mapping/navigation solution around. Compared to Google maps app on android, I find the lack of the following two features almost criminal/ridiculous:

1) Inability to rotate the maps: Yes, you cannot rotate the maps. Now you might want to know why would I make such a big fuss about this, afterall the navigation solutions are meant to be best used from the "driving" point of view right (the one where you are always at a fixed position on the screen and the direction you are heading towards is the "upside") ? and the Drive launches in the driving view by default...That brings me to the next issue...

2) Fickle-minded maps direction-sensing : When you walk towards an intersection, there is a very good chance that Nokia drive will think that you are taking a left/right when you are just following the straight path. It takes a few seconds (anywhere from 3-7 seconds) to get it back right about your direction. This may not have been such an issue if it were not for the other issue that I mentioned above. The change in direction as perceived by the app (wrongly, of course) is followed with a rotation of the "view" making this new direction the "upside". And a few seconds later it switches the view again as it finally realises its folly. This quick rotation of the maps is so acutely dis-orientating that its almost a deal breaker for me. If I had the choice of using google maps here, I'd gladly do so. Let me put this no uncertain terms - Nokia map is buggy. And very annoying at times.
These bugs combined with the fact that you cant rotate/lock the maps to point n a true N-S direction makes for a very formidable reason to just stop using Drive if you can.

And on a couple of occasions I did see false locks. Once, the app swore I was about 10km away from where I actually was. Of course it corrected itself in a few seconds again, but I did see a proper "lock" about 10km from me.

I also find the lack of movable bubbles at the endpoints of a path very unhelpful. It was one of those features that I loved about google maps, the ability to change your endpoints just by tapping and holding on the screen and moving the bubble/s to a new position. And the lack of a "scale" doesnt help WP either.

I have finally achieved the impossible: to get WP to lag. Yes, you heard that right. Again it was Nokia Drive. I pressed the back button to quit Drive and nothing happened. I thought I had missed the button and was about to press it again when all of a sudden I was at the homescreen. I have since found it lightly lagging in a couple of other occasions both times when browsing the marketplace. I pressed to open up the description of an app and nothing happens - and after abt 3 seconds it immediately reaches the description page. But then again, it could be because of the fact that I was on a lousy 3G connection as well.

On the brighter side I am now getting the feeling that the battery life is improving, although it could simply be because I am using it less intensively...
There you go.

Update:
I take back part of what I said above. Tapping and holding at a point in Nokia Maps lets you choose it as the start or end of a journey. Though I'd still vote for Google's movable location bubbles, this indeed is what a good part of my gripe was about. And luckily Maps doesnt suffer from the random-direction-syndrome mentioned above. So thats something to lift my spirits :)

Last edited:

Shah

Cyborg Agent

And some more updates (I have been using the phone quite a lot):

If you are used to google maps you are gonna be dissapointed. Nokia drive is currently not the slickest mapping/navigation solution around. Compared to Google maps app on android, I find the lack of the following two features almost criminal/ridiculous:

1) Inability to rotate the maps: Yes, you cannot rotate the maps. Now you might want to know why would I make such a big fuss about this, afterall the navigation solutions are meant to be best used from the "driving" point of view right (the one where you are always at a fixed position on the screen and the direction you are heading towards is the "upside") ? and the Drive launches in the driving view by default...That brings me to the next issue...

2) Fickle-minded maps direction-sensing : When you walk towards an intersection, there is a very good chance that Nokia drive will think that you are taking a left/right when you are just following the straight path. It takes a few seconds (anywhere from 3-7 seconds) to get it back right about your direction. This may not have been such an issue if it were not for the other issue that I mentioned above. The change in direction as perceived by the app (wrongly, of course) is followed with a rotation of the "view" making this new direction the "upside". And a few seconds later it switches the view again as it finally realises its folly. This quick rotation of the maps is so acutely dis-orientating that its almost a deal breaker for me. If I had the choice of using google maps here, I'd gladly do so. Let me put this no uncertain terms - Nokia map is buggy. And very annoying at times.
These bugs combined with the fact that you cant rotate/lock the maps to point n a true N-S direction makes for a very formidable reason to just stop using Drive if you can.

And on a couple of occasions I did see false locks. Once, the app swore I was about 10km away from where I actually was. Of course it corrected itself in a few seconds again, but I did see a proper "lock" about 10km from me.

I also find the lack of movable bubbles at the endpoints of a path very unhelpful. It was one of those features that I loved about google maps, the ability to change your endpoints just by tapping and holding on the screen and moving the bubble/s to a new position. And the lack of a "scale" doesnt help WP either.

I have finally achieved the impossible: to get WP to lag. Yes, you heard that right. Again it was Nokia Drive. I pressed the back button to quit Drive and nothing happened. I thought I had missed the button and was about to press it again when all of a sudden I was at the homescreen. I have since found it lightly lagging in a couple of other occasions both times when browsing the marketplace. I pressed to open up the description of an app and nothing happens - and after abt 3 seconds it immediately reaches the description page. But then again, it could be because of the fact that I was on a lousy 3G connection as well.

On the brighter side I am now getting the feeling that the battery life is improving, although it could simply be because I am using it less intensively...
There you go.

Update:
I take back part of what I said above. Tapping and holding at a point in Nokia Maps lets you choose it as the start or end of a journey. Though I'd still vote for Google's movable location bubbles, this indeed is what a good part of my gripe was about. And luckily Maps doesnt suffer from the random-direction-syndrome mentioned above. So thats something to lift my spirits :)

What about the "Other" storage buddy???

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

1.41G
I have quite a few more apps on my phone now, so I am not surprised. Tried and discarded few others as well.

Empirial

Youngling

Sorry for asking similar question again but I am a bit confused. Suppose if we receive any im message or email when the device is kept ideal with screen locked. Then we will hear any message tone/vibration or nothing?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

^^ I dont use IM, but there is an option to keep the Wifi on even when the screen is locked, if thats what you are worried about. Cant find a similar option for data though.
Can someone who uses IM on WP8 comment?

Can someone recommend me a shop in delhi where I can get good skin for my lumia 920. Lumia 920 has glossy finish which makes it prone to micro-scratches. So a polyster skin is the only option to save it from microscratches

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

I got a "moshi" yellow matte hard cover for mine @ Rs. 200 at a local shop here in bangalore. So just go around and check prices in some local small shops. Avoid the ones from FK :)

Empirial

Youngling

^^ I dont use IM, but there is an option to keep the Wifi on even when the screen is locked, if thats what you are worried about. Cant find a similar option for data though.
Can someone who uses IM on WP8 comment?

Sir, a NL820 user in xda forum said,"Can't chat with ppl using IM+, I get all the messages once I unlock the screen again, same with emails". What am trying to know is that in non wp devices, whenever we receive an email, im or tweet then the phone vibrates, screen glows for few secs & we hear a tone (if assigned) just like receiving sms. So, is it same with wp8 devices or we will have to unlock & manually check for updates?

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here

7.8 is now being seeded for all wp7 Nokia devices. you should get a notification soon.

Empirial

Youngling

Sir, a NL820 user in xda forum said,"Can't chat with ppl using IM+, I get all the messages once I unlock the screen again, same with emails". What am trying to know is that in non wp devices, whenever we receive an email, im or tweet then the phone vibrates, screen glows for few secs & we hear a tone (if assigned) just like receiving sms. So, is it same with wp8 devices or we will have to unlock & manually check for updates?

Please Reply
Also, Is bluetooth file transfer feature available in WP8?

Top Bottom