The Windows Mobile Thread

amjath

Human Spambot
Microsoft's Project Astoria has leaked letting Windows 10 Mobile sideload Android APKs directly | Windows Central

Can someone try this?

dekaron

Broken In
The porting works but Windows Central deleted/locked all the links/thread due to piracy talks/issues. Performance cannot be expected right now as WP10 itself is not yet stable to ascertain how the ported apps work. Have to wait till December to see the truth

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
[3 WAYS] [HOW TO] [UPDATED] Install Android … | Windows 10 Development and Hacking | XDA Forums - *forum.xda-developers.com/windows-10/development/how-to-install-android-apps-windows-10-t3174629

Aakarshan

In the zone
Do windows 8.1 allows background downloading? I have heard that it don't allow background downloading as long you leave the app.
I saw few apps like UC Browser offering background downloading, Is it available there or not.Can we just minimize the browser and wait till the file downloads while using youtube or other app simultanously?

- - - Updated - - -

More on it

Background downloading in Win for Phones 10

Presently, as we've all experienced some time or the other, the download tasks of an app get suspended when we move out of it, causing it to redownload the entire process from scratch when it resumes. It's particularly frustrating to wait for a (large) video/file to buffer/download as it virtually renders your phone useless for that time.(God save you if you were unfortunate enough to set the screen time out to 30 secs, even ninja reflexes won't save you once it goes black). Also, I'm sick of staring at that screen saver tip in UC browser.
I thought true multitasking (like Android) was the only way out, but it's a battery eating abomination which I don't want on my WP, but ***drumroll*** there seems to be another way.
Ever notice how your store automatically updates your apps, even though your phone's locked or you're browsing your social feeds? There's apparently a service/API that allows the store to run background downloads, but it's stupidly limited to the store app. All MS needs to do is to roll out another core app with the same services/APIs, allow it to recognize downloading/buffering tasks, label it as "downloads" and put it in our apps list and voila! It's simple and effective, gets the job done, and makes our life a **** lotta easier.

Source : *windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/7152370-background-downloading-in-win-for-phones-10

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Do windows 8.1 allows background downloading? I have heard that it don't allow background downloading as long you leave the app.
I saw few apps like UC Browser offering background downloading, Is it available there or not.Can we just minimize the browser and wait till the file downloads while using youtube or other app simultanously?

- - - Updated - - -

More on it

Background downloading in Win for Phones 10

Presently, as we've all experienced some time or the other, the download tasks of an app get suspended when we move out of it, causing it to redownload the entire process from scratch when it resumes. It's particularly frustrating to wait for a (large) video/file to buffer/download as it virtually renders your phone useless for that time.(God save you if you were unfortunate enough to set the screen time out to 30 secs, even ninja reflexes won't save you once it goes black). Also, I'm sick of staring at that screen saver tip in UC browser.
I thought true multitasking (like Android) was the only way out, but it's a battery eating abomination which I don't want on my WP, but ***drumroll*** there seems to be another way.
Ever notice how your store automatically updates your apps, even though your phone's locked or you're browsing your social feeds? There's apparently a service/API that allows the store to run background downloads, but it's stupidly limited to the store app. All MS needs to do is to roll out another core app with the same services/APIs, allow it to recognize downloading/buffering tasks, label it as "downloads" and put it in our apps list and voila! It's simple and effective, gets the job done, and makes our life a **** lotta easier.

Source : *windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/...0-background-downloading-in-win-for-phones-10

chill out bro !! Windows 10 Mobile has fixed all these problems :)
Roll Out starts in December for x40 and x30 series and in february for x20 series

- - - Updated - - -

in the mean time , there is a full interop unlock which released a while back
I havent tested it yet
its like rooting in android and allows many "resource hacks" similar to custom roms or xposed on android

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
Need to know which Video Player in windows plays all video formats? mkv, mp4 etc.

Thinking to get Lumia 640 in HDFC offer from amazon.

dekaron

Broken In
Moliplayer Pro is paid but you can get the free version (sufficient) just google it

VLC has improved after a long long time , can also play multi audio and multi sub files

amjath

Human Spambot
Microsoft's Project Astoria, which was devised to allow Android apps to run on Windows 10, might be dead. This was part of a plan by the company to increase the number of popular apps in the Windows Store. Microsoft planned on releasing tools to developers that would convert iOS apps to Windows 10, and allow for the emulation of Android apps.

But the Android portion of this plan seems to have been canceled. According to a report published today, the team working on the task was hit by problems making it work. Another report claims that Microsoft was hit with security issues. A statement made by Microsoft (see below) hints to developers that they should consider tools from one of the other Projects that Microsoft will offer. These include Project Westminster for porting over web apps, Project Centennial that ports over Classic Win32 apps, and Project Islandwood for porting iOS apps.

"We're committed to offering developers many options to bring their apps to the Windows Platform, including bridges available now for Web and iOS, and soon Win32. The Astoria bridge is not ready yet, but other tools offer great options for developers. For example, the iOS bridge enables developers to write a native Windows Universal app which calls UWP APIs directly from Objective-C, and to mix and match UWP and iOS concepts such as XAML and UIKit. Developers can write apps that run on all Windows 10 devices and take advantage of native Windows features easily. We're grateful to the feedback from the development community and look forward to supporting them as they develop apps for Windows 10."-Microsoft

The telltale signs are there. Developer forums related to Project Astoria are now a ghost town, and the final version of Windows 10 Mobile lacks the code for Android emulation. With the plan to have developers port over iOS apps to Windows 10 still alive, the Windows Store can still be well-stocked with the apps needed to attract consumers.

Microsoft's plan to emulate Android apps on Windows 10 appears to be dead

They put it on hold or cancelled it completely, but MS is very slow and half baked.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Microsoft's plan to emulate Android apps on Windows 10 appears to be dead

They put it on hold or cancelled it completely, but MS is very slow and half baked.

theres still Project Islandwood for ios apps,much better than android apps imho ;)

amjath

Human Spambot
theres still Project Islandwood for ios apps,much better than android apps imho ;)

But the Android portion of this plan seems to have been canceled. According to a report published today, the team working on the task was hit by problems making it work. Another report claims that Microsoft was hit with security issues. A statement made by Microsoft (see below) hints to developers that they should consider tools from one of the other Projects that Microsoft will offer. These include Project Westminster for porting over web apps, Project Centennial that ports over Classic Win32 apps, and Project Islandwood for porting iOS apps.

Dont know what security issues they faced when porting Android [open source]. This might happen for ios apps [Closed source] as well/

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Dont know what security issues they faced when porting Android [open source]. This might happen for ios apps [Closed source] as well/

android being open source means you can access basically any portion of the OS source
I think it could mean that ported Android apps would allow access to restricted portions of Windows Phone thanks to the now removed android subsystem that made this possible

OR

it could mean that the Project Astoria leaked tools promoted piracy because they didnt have anything in place to prevent regular users from porting just about any app

not the case with ios apps because Project Islandwood didnt require an ios subsystem like Project Astoria and was simply a porting tool

I see it as a win-win anyhow because ios apps are actually better quality, speaking from my own experience with all platforms
though ios apps are also rather locked down as compared to android apps , so thats a minus

Flash

Lost in speed
^ It all drill down to whether you want to try WP or not. Be advised that you can't expect an official app for every service - but there will be ample 3rd party apps.

Top Bottom