The Windows Mobile Thread

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Only Microsoft has this

You're trying to prove this every post you make :lol:
MS is still playing catch up in the mobile world. Android & iOS both have set a "benchmark" of sorts in their own way.

I don't know which one he referred to but this is the general sense of the term

Actually it was you who "coined" this term in the last page :) [this post]

kkn13 said:
5. If you are a flashaholic, have you considered getting a device which isnt mainstream? I mean Samsung,OPO,iPhone are kinda mainstream(No offense , just putting forth my thoughts)

PS: you still haven't posted why you compared an iPad which was 2 years old & called it "slow" compared to H/W 2 years late :"D

the.one

In the zone
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=f34PJhto92Q
also Apple says they have no plans of merging ios and OSX
Google doesnt stand a chance with Chrome OS
Only Microsoft has this

Only thing that comes close is BB10's Blend feature but its not the same, still awesome though

- - - Updated - - -

Flashaholic in the general sense means people who prefer flashy material not mainstream

I dont know which one he referred to but this is the general sense of the term

Apple has continuum like feature already since sometime. It's called handoff.

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Hand off is different continuum is different
Hand off is passing the information from one device to another
Continuum means having both device in the SAME device

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Apple has continuum like feature already since sometime. It's called handoff.

Handoff is something totally different than Continuum
Also "Handoff" has been present in Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 right from the start AND even Blackberry 10 had it - Blackberry Blend
I suggest you see the link I posted to understand what Continuum is

amjath

Human Spambot
1. Owning a device and holding it in your hand for 2 mins are totally different
I can touch a Lamborghini but that doesnt mean I know as much as the owner

2. ios?? seriously?? You are willing to spend 50-60k minimum on a phone that cant even send stuff via bluetooth? and you complain about WP not having features?? great going (FYI I love iPads and know how poor android tabs are in comparison)
also their cable quality is pathetic, after sales is just a bunch of idiots with bad attitudes who try to blame you for manufacturing defects,speaking from personal experience.

3. Can you connect your iphone or android to another display, hard drive,keyboard and mouse all at once and use it as a mini computer?

4. ios isnt as smooth as WP, I own iPads 2,3,4,mini 1 and 2 and Lumia 720,820.
My iPad 2 and Lumia 720 both have dual core, 512mb ram and 32gb storage.still my 720 is smoother on the latest version and doesnt crash while browsing heavy sites. Also Apple loves to ruin older devices with new updates which they eventually force down your throat with nagging notifications(just like android) , even slightly older ios versions will refuse to run newer apps or updates because Apple wants you on the latest ios version

5. If you are a flashaholic, have you considered getting a device which isnt mainstream? I mean Samsung,OPO,iPhone are kinda mainstream(No offense :) , just putting forth my thoughts)

Im not bashing you or trying to offend you in any manner :)
Just stating my experience since I use all 4 major platforms and love to switch between my devices from time to time
I have a Nexus 5, 7(2012),(2013), iPads 2,3,4,mini 1,2 Lumia 720,820 , BB Z10 and a bunch of other gadgets including a Surface Pro 3

Microsoft is the next big thing Im sure of it
Just see XDA,Androidcentral etc , even "fandroids" in the general sense, are actually impressed by the latest announcements by microsoft (no offense to android users and lovers , talking about extremists)

Going by my own experience with a 720 and 820 and Surface Pro 3 all running Windows 10 and in perfect sync, I can safely say they have done a commendable job

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe if you are looking for extreme customisation, really rare apps and games, the platform isnt for you
for the more general consumers, I think they will be at home with Windows Phone/Mobile and are simply not jumping ship because reviewers these days are extremely biased and misleading. Hence I personally only trust forums and actual experiences from actual owners

1. I know you would say that never mind
2. no comments, because i can get iphone 6 for 35k on sale. Transfer by bluetooth is old school.
3. Chromecast or Apple tv for wireless display and otg for connecting keyboard and mouse
4. i only own an iphone so cant compare to windows here
5. I use a lot of ROM also multiple ROM, xposed etc. I dont see this much freedom in WP

I asked you this.

Give me a reason why I should go for Windows instead of ios or android. Lumia 950 is so good, its a complete device but i need something things related to software to convince me.

One quick question, adblock available in Windows?

I did not get any answer defending WP platform

BTW the Continuum connector will cost $99 but a chromecast +otg cable cost <$40
Continuum is nice addition but it is a computer

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
MS is still playing catch up in the mobile world. Android & iOS both have set a "benchmark" of sorts in their own way.

PS: you still haven't posted why you compared an iPad which was 2 years old & called it "slow" compared to H/W 2 years late :"D

You are obviously trolling at this point
seems like you are the only one here not making any sense and fails to see reasoning im afraid

FYI before hating and attacking others, learn to understand that you arent the only one with an ios device, i have a whole tonne of them as well so stop acting so b*tthurt, Apple and these other companies dont care about us, they only want the $$$ so if you cant handle healthy forum discussions, just ignore

amjath

Human Spambot
Just saying but continuum is possible through miracast

I didn't know this.

But continuum will work only for new hardware.

Continuum for Windows 10 Phones does require new Qualcomm hardware | Windows Central

But its not the same with other platforms.

Afaik i know a bunch of iphones and android phones will work but only 2 devices

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
1. I know you would say that never mind
2. no comments, because i can get iphone 6 for 35k on sale. Transfer by bluetooth is old school.
3. Chromecast or Apple tv for wireless display and otg for connecting keyboard and mouse
4. i only own an iphone so cant compare to windows here
5. I use a lot of ROM also multiple ROM, xposed etc. I dont see this much freedom in WP

I asked you this.

I did not get any answer defending WP platform

BTW the Continuum connector will cost $99 but a chromecast +otg cable cost <$40
Continuum is nice addition but it is a computer

2. you can get a 950 for the same price when it releases AND it also includes Continuum adapter with warranty, 32gb internal storage and sd card slot instead of resorting to a 16gb last gen iphone without warranty,I fail to see the comparison
3. You can do that with the 950 as well, they didnt say Continuum only works through the adapter, Also the adapter is coming bundled with the phone at launch and they start at ~35k , Once again I fail to see the comparison . Also continnum ISNT Airplay or Screen Mirroring, its completely different
4. Well like I said, I actually have compared my OWN gadgets, none of them are perfect hence I use each for what it does best
5. Ok, you cant see multi rom freedom in WP right? then can you see anything in ios?? I mean it cant even use bluetooth transfer or simple file transfer via USB(before you say anything,I know iFunbox and other apps exist but you need to install them AND download 150mb iTunes for the drivers,kinda cumbersome)

Once again Continuum is NOT screen mirroring or using proprietary adapters, you can use it over miracast or whatever existing hardware - OTG,Miracast etc EXCEPT it runs as a separate process meaning your phone will act as two completely different devices and can be operated independently
PLUS it can be used to simply screen mirror or whatever as well if you want

WOW loads of misconceptions in this thread atm
See the video guys and understand before assuming

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't know this.

But continuum will work only for new hardware.

Continuum for Windows 10 Phones does require new Qualcomm hardware | Windows Central

But its not the same with other platforms.

Afaik i know a bunch of iphones and android phones will work but only 2 devices

Thats just for Continuum
Miracast Mirroring is an old existing feature on windows phone and supports ALL Windows Phones
Miracast Mirroring isnt Continuum

- - - Updated - - -

about "flashoholic", Did you even bother to read the comment before that or do you simply assume and attack others blindly??

- - - Updated - - -

For those with misconceptions
Continuum(Only for newer Lumias 950 and 950XL)
How Continuum for Windows 10 Mobile works on Lumia 950 & Lumia 950 XL | Windows Central
Miracast Mirroring (Works with ALL Windows Phones including the 950 and 950XL)
Projecting your Windows Phone screen to a TV or PC | Windows Phone How-to (India)

^^ completely different

amjath

Human Spambot
2. you can get a 950 for the same price when it releases AND it also includes Continuum adapter with warranty, 32gb internal storage and sd card slot instead of resorting to a 16gb last gen iphone without warranty,I fail to see the comparison
3. You can do that with the 950 as well, they didnt say Continuum only works through the adapter, Also the adapter is coming bundled with the phone at launch and they start at ~35k , Once again I fail to see the comparison . Also continnum ISNT Airplay or Screen Mirroring, its completely different
4. Well like I said, I actually have compared my OWN gadgets, none of them are perfect hence I use each for what it does best
5. Ok, you cant see multi rom freedom in WP right? then can you see anything in ios?? I mean it cant even use bluetooth transfer or simple file transfer via USB(before you say anything,I know iFunbox and other apps exist but you need to install them AND download 150mb iTunes for the drivers,kinda cumbersome)

Once again Continuum is NOT screen mirroring or using proprietary adapters, you can use it over miracast or whatever existing hardware - OTG,Miracast etc EXCEPT it runs as a separate process meaning your phone will act as two completely different devices and can be operated independently
PLUS it can be used to simply screen mirror or whatever as well if you want

WOW loads of misconceptions in this thread atm
See the video guys and understand before assuming

- - - Updated - - -

Thats just for Continuum
Miracast Mirroring is an old existing feature on windows phone and supports ALL Windows Phones
Miracast Mirroring isnt Continuum

- - - Updated - - -

about "flashoholic", Did you even bother to read the comment before that or do you simply assume and attack others blindly??

- - - Updated - - -

For those with misconceptions
Continuum(Only for newer Lumias 950 and 950XL)
How Continuum for Windows 10 Mobile works on Lumia 950 & Lumia 950 XL | Windows Central
Miracast Mirroring (Works with ALL Windows Phones including the 950 and 950XL)
Projecting your Windows Phone screen to a TV or PC | Windows Phone How-to (India)

^^ completely different

I see answers for lot, but i still cant get out of with flashing ROMs and Apps. I will decide once WP10 is out

Aakarshan

In the zone
I do have a budget of 11K for buying a phone.But i am confused over that i should buy a windows phone or android phone?
Which OS would be better in this range.
I have used only android phones in the past.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I see answers for lot, but i still cant get out of with flashing ROMs and Apps. I will decide once WP10 is out

Dont expect custom roms etc on anything non-android/linux in future imho
Though there is quite a bit of "hacking"/"digging" into being done recently into the filesystem of Windows 10 Mobile so there is a slight chance but like you said only time will tell

- - - Updated - - -

Power Users from android will definitely miss the Custom OS and Xposed Modules for sure..

maybe
because Custom roms are generally used by those wanting the latest android version or to add features that the OEM purposely doesnt let the user enjoy despite capable hardware
and windows phone/mobile thankfully has had a pretty consistent experience after the WP7 fiasco and Microsoft probably wont make the same mistakes again
For android, its too late to get rid of the fragmentation problems and Windows 10 Mobile has had its share of developers "hacking" into the file system etc recently so there is a possibility of custom roms albeit a small chance nevertheless
Also Mi4 has a beta official windows 10 mobile rom so you never know...
gonna be worth watching the progress imho :)

- - - Updated - - -

I do have a budget of 11K for buying a phone.But i am confused over that i should buy a windows phone or android phone?
Which OS would be better in this range.
I have used only android phones in the past.

frankly speaking Windows Phones are best upto 15k in terms of overall experience
If you want an android though, safest bet is the Moto G2 and G3 imho
I suggest waiting for atleast a month more because Windows 10 Mobile and Android Marshmallow are slowly coming in Dcemeber(Nexus devices roll out has just started) , So best to wait and watch
So far from my personal experience , Ive found my 720 more consistent to use than my Nexus 5 though I do miss OTG on my 720 which is why I sometimes need both phones, but personal experience is the best deciding factor for everyone :)

Aakarshan

In the zone
frankly speaking Windows Phones are best upto 15k in terms of overall experience
If you want an android though, safest bet is the Moto G2 and G3 imho
I suggest waiting for atleast a month more because Windows 10 Mobile and Android Marshmallow are slowly coming in Dcemeber(Nexus devices roll out has just started) , So best to wait and watch
So far from my personal experience , Ive found my 720 more consistent to use than my Nexus 5 though I do miss OTG on my 720 which is why I sometimes need both phones, but personal experience is the best deciding factor for everyone :)
I have finalized the Lumia 730.But I'm afraid as windows is a new move for me as well as new os.
I am also keeping a watch on windows 10.I do hope that it will bring new features on windows 10.I do hope that it will fill some gap barrier b/w the windows and android.I do hope that more apps will support wp in the future.
The thing is i am afraid of using windows phone as i have used only android phones in the past.I am switching to windows phone from android phone first time.

I would like to ask a few questions from u:

1. What is the app scenario in windows platform?How much apps do support windows phone.
2.How much windows os is different from the android os?
3.Please do tell what are the main features i will find different from the android.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
1. What is the app scenario in windows platform?How much apps do support windows phone.
2.How much windows os is different from the android os?
3.Please do tell what are the main features i will find different from the android.

1. Pretty decent, except for snapchat and some games
thatll change soon thanks to Project Astoria and Project Astoria which will enable nearly native porting of apps from ios and android
the candy crush app in windows phone 8.1 is actually an ios app ported within 5 mins with the new tools by microsoft and this wasnt revealed until 5 months after Candy Crush was released on windows phone
So I guess its gonna change everything soon
you can already sideload alot of apps yourself actually right now itself

2. Windows Phone/Mobile is a very very fresh approach to mobile computing, while ios and android may get boring after sometime because they keep copying each other, so far windows has been a unique experience and despite looking awkward to use at first, you quickly fall in love with the thinking that went in to create the UI

3. Main features is a tough question , well to answer this question ,its purely on your own personal experience with both platforms to judge that frankly speaking. From my own experience, Ive found it to be extremely consistent, stable and fun to be frank, Ive used my 720 as my main phone for nearly 3 years now and it still runs extremely well - battery etc , it still gets updates and gets better with new features etc with each update, whereas on my Nexus 5 and 7, I found it to be extremely inconsistent with each update with loads of bugs,problems etc
Windows Phone simply feels extremely stable and its pros are android's cons and vice versa
so its down to personal preference

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
1. Pretty decent, except for snapchat and some games
thatll change soon thanks to Project Astoria and Project Astoria which will enable nearly native porting of apps from ios and android
the candy crush app in windows phone 8.1 is actually an ios app ported within 5 mins with the new tools by microsoft and this wasnt revealed until 5 months after Candy Crush was released on windows phone
So I guess its gonna change everything soon
you can already sideload alot of apps yourself actually right now itself

Sometimes I wonder whether you copy paste that candy crush story..
Googled "Project Astoria" and all the front page links are from Windows sites only and its support is very limited to handful of models and I see lot of errors on by users on their comment section.. Let me tell you, this is kinda sandbox/emulating the apps and not running them natively, so I guess it would not be as good as running them on Android.. And about the services ? This would obviously not support Google play services which means there's no way to connect the users, invite them, challenge etc.. So its meh for me .

amjath

Human Spambot
Googled "Project Astoria" and all the front page links are from Windows sites only and its support is very limited to handful of models and I see lot of errors on by users on their comment section.. Let me tell you, this is kinda sandbox/emulating the apps and not running them natively, so I guess it would not be as good as running them on Android.. And about the services ? This would obviously not support Google play services which means there's no way to connect the users, invite them, challenge etc.. So its meh for me .
Exactly I was looking at this. I feel like you are running in emulator. I guess then you will have to wait for updates

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW

well you havent used WP then is all I can say
this isnt sandboxing apps, this is porting to near native code
google services code is replaced with xbox live
heres a good place to see proof-
[GUIDE] Deploying Astoria Packages Manually … | Windows 10 Development and Hacking | XDA Forums

Sometimes I wonder if you copy paste hate about windows phone
its limited to certain devices because the others(older Lumias) will get the firmware update in december

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly I was looking at this. I feel like you are running in emulator. I guess then you will have to wait for updates

no its NOT emulation,its porting to near native code
Google stuff is replaced with Microsoft stuff and UI changes can be made easily too

- - - Updated - - -

Candy crush menu lags a lot and game mini freezes on my Lumia 640

working fine for me on my 720
ironic because it only has 512mb ram

- - - Updated - - -

*www.theregister.co.uk/2015/05/01/running_ios_and_android_code_on_windows_10_how_it_works/
*venturebeat.com/2015/05/01/everything-you-need-to-know-about-porting-android-and-ios-apps-to-windows-10/

- - - Updated - - -

I am really confused which phone should i buy? Nokia Lumia 730 or Moto G 2nd Gen?

730 for camera, display etc is the better buy imho unless you need android specific features or apps/games

Last edited:
Top Bottom