The Windows Mobile Thread

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Viber's already taken.

- - - Updated - - -

International version of the ICON can possibly be the first handset to launch with 8.1, dont you think ? :)

Lumia ICON has the same hardware as 1520 except for smaller size. So technically Lumia ICON is almost 4 months old device. By April, it will be almost be almost a 6 month old design, therefore launching an international version of ICON in April will make no sense. 1820 will be the perfect device to launch at that time. After all I am frustrated with Nokia.

1520 is a different league device, its a phabalet, not a flagship device or a successor of 920. ICON can be a successor of 928. What Nokia should have done was launch a flagship device (successor of 920) and successors of 820, 720 and maybe 620. Its been more than an year. So I am bit frustrated with Nokia.

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here

Well all the new devices are going to be launched with 8.1. You'll just have to wait.
I guess it will be May.

Well all the new devices are going to be launched with 8.1. You'll just have to wait.
I guess it will be May.

Good time comes for those who wait? The reason I am holding Lumia 1520 is because I a optimistic that there is a successor of Lumia 1020 with latest hardware and at least 5 inch screen.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

Good time comes for those who wait? The reason I am holding Lumia 1520 is because I a optimistic that there is a successor of Lumia 1020 with latest hardware and at least 5 inch screen.

if you are waiting for a big sensor phone, please don't hold your breath.

Regarding timing, remember how much later the L925 arrived after the L920?

if you are waiting for a big sensor phone, please don't hold your breath.

Regarding timing, remember how much later the L925 arrived after the L920?

925 is a downgrade over 920. If I don't see a successor of 920 or a 1020, then I always have the option of an international version of ICON.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

925 is a downgrade over 920. If I don't see a successor of 920 or a 1020, then I always have the option of an international version of ICON.

Depends on how you look at it. A lot of people arent as crazy as us or well informed or simply have the use for 32G of internal memory.

Btw, my point was that the L925 hit the market with essentially the same specs as L920 but a lot later and in fact sold just as well if the amount of them I see on the road versus the number of L920 is any indication.

In short, I'd expect the Icon to be released internationally with WP8.1. And I do not expect a successor to the L1020 any time soon. Nokia had to hack the ISP pipeline of the Snapdragon chip to get it to process those mammoth 40mp images and thats also the reason for the slow shot-to-shot time in the L1020. To release another phone based on such hacked up architecture doesnt seem to be a wise move. The next gen pricessors are capable of handling ~50mp images per second and therefore I dont expect any new L1020 successor until and after the release of the next gen chips, which isnt any time soon I think. :)

Depends on how you look at it. A lot of people arent as crazy as us or well informed or simply have the use for 32G of internal memory.

Btw, my point was that the L925 hit the market with essentially the same specs as L920 but a lot later and in fact sold just as well if the amount of them I see on the road versus the number of L920 is any indication.

In short, I'd expect the Icon to be released internationally with WP8.1. And I do not expect a successor to the L1020 any time soon. Nokia had to hack the ISP pipeline of the Snapdragon chip to get it to process those mammoth 40mp images and thats also the reason for the slow shot-to-shot time in the L1020. To release another phone based on such hacked up architecture doesnt seem to be a wise move. The next gen pricessors are capable of handling ~50mp images per second and therefore I dont expect any new L1020 successor until and after the release of the next gen chips, which isnt any time soon I think. :)

@Mr Pranav Mukharjee, Microsoft is the reason why 925 despite landing 6 months post 920 had the same hardware specifications. WP's development was slow, it didn't support quad core and full HD by the time L925 and 1020 were released. It was GDDR3 which has support for quad core processor, 5+ inch with 1080P resolution. 1020 is such a great hardware device. But MS killed it even before it was released because of its slow development. Imagine how good it would have been if MS would have been bit proactive in development, so that during the time of 1020 release, it would have supported Quad core and 1080P resolution.

Snapdragon 800 is an amazing hardware, we will still see a full potential of it, when we see 4K video recording on devices like Lumia 1520 and ICON. Snapdragon 805 will come on first half of 2014. So if Lumia released a successor of 1020 by May its fine.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

@Mr Pranav Mukharjee, Microsoft is the reason why 925 despite landing 6 months post 920 had the same hardware specifications. WP's development was slow, it didn't support quad core and full HD by the time L925 and 1020 were released. It was GDDR3 which has support for quad core processor, 5+ inch with 1080P resolution. 1020 is such a great hardware device. But MS killed it even before it was released because of its slow development. Imagine how good it would have been if MS would have been bit proactive in development, so that during the time of 1020 release, it would have supported Quad core and 1080P resolution.

Snapdragon 800 is an amazing hardware, we will still see a full potential of it, when we see 4K video recording on devices like Lumia 1520 and ICON. Snapdragon 805 will come on first half of 2014. So if Lumia released a successor of 1020 by May its fine.

The L1020 is crippled more by the processor ISP being limited than anything WP related. It doesnt matter how many cores you have or how fast your cores are clocked if the ISP thats actually used to process those pixels if the ISP thats used to process them is limited to a maximum image capture limit of less than what you need for the L1020.

No doubt the S800 is a very good processor, but what the L1020 asks of it to deliver, is something it simply cannot handle. You may or may not realise how much the L1020 can easily bring the S800 to its knees, please refer to Snapdragon 800 series processors | Mobile Technology | Qualcomm Snapdragon Processors if you still dont believe me :)

The other problem is how much you can miniaturise a physical assembly - again not something thats WP related.

Not trying to sound like a MS fanboy, but the L1020 was rushed as an aura product. There was no mainstream processor that was capable of doing it justice, there still isnt. The successor, if any isnt due until much later this year, even so I'd be skeptical of it coming that soon.

The L1020 is crippled more by the processor ISP being limited than anything WP related. It doesnt matter how many cores you have or how fast your cores are clocked if the ISP thats actually used to process those pixels if the ISP thats used to process them is limited to a maximum image capture limit of less than what you need for the L1020.

No doubt the S800 is a very good processor, but what the L1020 asks of it to deliver, is something it simply cannot handle. You may or may not realise how much the L1020 can easily bring the S800 to its knees, please refer to Snapdragon 800 series processors | Mobile Technology | Qualcomm Snapdragon Processors if you still dont believe me :)

The other problem is how much you can miniaturise a physical assembly - again not something thats WP related.

Not trying to sound like a MS fanboy, but the L1020 was rushped as an aura product. There was no mainstream processor that was capable of doing it justice, there still isnt. The successor, if any isnt due until much later this year, even so I'd be skeptical of it coming that soon.

Exactly the ISP embedded with Lumia 920, 925 and 1020 is same, because all the 3 devices uses same CPU. 808 pureview has a dedicated chipset for the camera. I am sure SD 800 has better ISP than Qualcomm MSM8960 Snapdragon used in the above 3 devices.

When 1020 was launched Snapdragon 600 was already out, but the reason 1020 couldn't use that processor was, because MS WP was not supporting those processors and the resolution.

Last edited:

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

Exactly the ISP embedded with Lumia 920, 925 and 1020 is same, because all the 3 devices uses same CPU. 808 pureview has a dedicated chipset for the camera. I am sure SD 800 has better ISP than Qualcomm MSM8960 Snapdragon used in the above 3 devices.

When 1020 was launched Snapdragon 600 was already out, but the reason 1020 couldn't use that processor was, because MS WP was not supporting those processors and the resolution.

Not fully accurate.. The ISP in the S800 is slightly better than the one in the L1020 right now, but at 21MP, its still just halfway mark of what it needs to be. Only the S805 will finally get that number up to 51MP, and its gonna take time to be in the market. In short, irrespective of what MS did, the L1020 couldnt be the phone we wanted it to be, not even if it ran android and S800. Which is why I cannot blame MS for it.

On the other hand MS has been slow, without a doubt, but if the WP8.1 is indeed as good as it seems to be, I'd be much more willing to forgive, its a massive-looking update.

Pasapa

Live to die another day

Microsoft just announced new wp hardware partners. Some of them are LG,Lenovo, XOLO, Karbonn and Gionee.
Yikes..

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

Microsoft just announced new wp hardware partners. Some of them are LG,Lenovo, XOLO, Karbonn and Gionee.
Yikes..

I hope the strict hardware limits are kept on board - atleast on the lower end - RAM and processor.

ithehappy

Human Spambot

Anyone using a high end Lumia here, be it 920, 1020 or whatever WP device, may I ask how are the vibration levels on those devices? I mean are they intense as they were on Symbian Nokia devices, or just faint like Samsung Android devices?
Sorry for asking here but didn't wanna create a new topic just to ask this.

Thanks.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

Anyone using a high end Lumia here, be it 920, 1020 or whatever WP device, may I ask how are the vibration levels on those devices? I mean are they intense as they were on Symbian Nokia devices, or just faint like Samsung Android devices?
Sorry for asking here but didn't wanna create a new topic just to ask this.

Thanks.

It was pretty strong on the L920, so much that it produced a small rattling sound once in a while and needed a firmware update to make it sound better. That being said I have no idea what your benchmark for acceptable vibrate performance is...

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

What's the cost of it?

Cost of what ?

L920 goes for like 20k right ?

- - - Updated - - -

Awwww yeah!!! Best news for me!!! :D :D :D

Facebook Messenger announced for Windows Phone | Windows Phone Central

I hope you are aware that the messenger is currently integrated right into the messaging hub, right ?

Personally, that was a great feature for me - couldnt care less about stickers and stuff, the integration was top-notch when it worked :|.

But yeah, I can see why people would want a atandalone app. I only hope this doesnt mean theat the messaging hub integration is removed - I'd suspect now the app will be allowed to integrate itself, as its rumored to be possible in WP 8.1.

Top Bottom