The Windows 8 Thread

tkin

Back to school!!
Comodo takes care of everything, it can monitor speed for each individual connection, and you can independently terminate connections without affecting the programs.

rjrrohit

Right off the assembly line
Re: Windows 8 Thread.

^^Windows 8 RT -on Tablet wont even feature WindowsAERO Interface due to performance and battery concerns.
Thats called icing on the cake.!:p
You can enable WindowsAEROLIte in Win8 with a simple registry trick actually.

Naxal

Little Kid
Is Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essential are the same thing ?

I have migrated from Windows 7 to Windows 8 (via clean installation) and unable to install MSE since its not supported under Windows 8, rather MS website is referring to Windows Defender being already present in my computer.

So the question is, are the two same product ?

Is there any software to customize win 8 iso? Customization as in disable apps, include drivers, pre-change system settings and things like them?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essential are the same thing ?

I have migrated from Windows 7 to Windows 8 (via clean installation) and unable to install MSE since its not supported under Windows 8, rather MS website is referring to Windows Defender being already present in my computer.

So the question is, are the two same product ?

for win 8 both are same ;-) so all you need is the defender only.

I need some help. I have the Release Preview of Windows 8, and I want to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro from the Microsoft website.
Is there some 'catch' in it, like for Rs.1999/- only, will I be getting Windows 8 Pro for a limited time only or something like that?

Please help me out quickly because this is Urgent!

Thanks!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you can upgrade only from XP Sp3/Win 7/Win Vista ... upgrading from win 8 RP is not possible.

amjath

Human Spambot
I need some help. I have the Release Preview of Windows 8, and I want to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro from the Microsoft website.
Is there some 'catch' in it, like for Rs.1999/- only, will I be getting Windows 8 Pro for a limited time only or something like that?

Please help me out quickly because this is Urgent!

Thanks!

Microsoft is giving a promotional offer for everyone to upgrade to Windows 8 @ low cost till 31 st January 2013.

Also this
Microsoft has said that customers who downloaded and installed the free "Windows 8 Release Preview" will be able to upgrade to the paid version of the OS, but that those running the free trial of Windows 8 Enterprise RTM, or "release to manufacturing," which debuted in August, cannot.
[url=""*www.computerworld.com/s/article/9232961/Microsoft_starts_40_Windows_8_upgrade_sales]Source[/url]

In simple go ahead and upgrade to Windows 8

I.dont think so. I ran the windows upgrade advisor, n it ran the compatibility test n presented me with buying options. So I think it is possible to upgrade from win 8 rp. But the thing that concerns me is this line on the Microsoft site:

"For a limited time, you can upgrade your PC running a previous version of*Windows*to the*Windows*8 Proupgrade for a great price, or get it preinstalled on many new tablets and PCs."

For a limited period implies the offer period till 31.1.13 or will I get win8 pro for a limited period only?

amjath

Human Spambot
I.dont think so. I ran the windows upgrade advisor, n it ran the compatibility test n presented me with buying options. So I think it is possible to upgrade from win 8 rp. But the thing that concerns me is this line on the Microsoft site:

"For a limited time, you can upgrade your PC running a previous version of*Windows*to the*Windows*8 Proupgrade for a great price, or get it preinstalled on many new tablets and PCs."

For a limited period implies the offer period till 31.1.13 or will I get win8 pro for a limited period only?

Yes that's what i said u can upgrade from RP.

The line means, For a limited time u are getting a offer for Rs. 1999 so dont miss the offer upgrade to Windows 8 before offer ends @ 31 Jan 2013.

Trust me dude many others and me in this forum upgraded to Windows 8

Yes that's what i said u can upgrade from RP.

The line means, For a limited time u are getting a offer for Rs. 1999 so dont miss the offer upgrade to Windows 8 before offer ends @ 31 Jan 2013.

Trust me dude many others and me in this forum upgraded to Windows 8

Thanks a LOT!

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Officially shifted to Windows 8 :p , thanks to rajesh.s for providing me a Promo code for getting Win8 at Rs. 699 :)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Sorry dono how to get those promo codes.

BTW.. many of the Windows 8 apps are crashing at launch. trying to figure out what might be the issue.

EDIT: it appears that KIS 2013 is the culprit here.. if I disable KIS then the apps work fine .. need to figure out how to resolve this.

amjath

Human Spambot
^ IMO there is no need for 3rd party AV. I have been using essential for about 2 years had no issues. other 3rd party av hangs my Pentium 4 PC but ms essential don't.

Top Bottom