The Windows 8 Thread

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
that is the safe option. when you want to reinstall windows 8.1 later, you can update to update 1 without downloading the required files again saving bandwidth and time.

I have downloaded the updates from => *www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42335

So I need to install all the updates in the order mentioned there right? Or I just need to install KB2919355?

justgothere

Broken In
I'm not a techie. My vaio, Bought last year, has pre-installed win 8. I am fully happy with it. For last few months or is prompting to update to 8.1. I'm happy with the current OS as well as i have some purchased licensed softwares like Lightroom, nik software bundle and photoshop cs6 extended with which I wouldn't like to tinker around. I have read some past posts and it seems that if I don't upgrade, all I will miss is future upgrades. Is that it? Or am i missing something? Will the upgrade be worth the trouble? I use that laptop only for image editing, if that is relevant .
Regards
Somnath

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

Update to Win 8.1 Update 1 Finally :D

welcome :)

I'm not a techie. My vaio, Bought last year, has pre-installed win 8. I am fully happy with it. For last few months or is prompting to update to 8.1. I'm happy with the current OS as well as i have some purchased licensed softwares like Lightroom, nik software bundle and photoshop cs6 extended with which I wouldn't like to tinker around. I have read some past posts and it seems that if I don't upgrade, all I will miss is future upgrades. Is that it? Or am i missing something? Will the upgrade be worth the trouble? I use that laptop only for image editing, if that is relevant .
Regards
Somnath

if you are on windows 8, there is no problem. you will still receive updates till 2016 as promised by microsoft. so dont worry.
if you upgrade to windows 8.1, then the newer update called update 1 is mandatory. if you dont install this update, you will not receive any future updates until you install the update 1. after installing the update 1, you will still receive the future updates though.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
^
Free.

Windows 8.x users can download from here:

*apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/0ea0706f-33ea-4842-8706-77e89cecda16

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Hello guys,

i just upgraded to windows 8.1 from a windows 8, the problem is with the lockscreen, it just cant be changed. Whenever i browse or set another lockscreen except the default one, the waiting dots keeps rotating until i switch to another window and then when i get back to check if the screen is cahnged or not, its the same lockscreen. Anyone with 8.1 exp might help ?

Hey guys, after i upgraded my laptop to Win8.1, my dvd drive stopped reading dvds(didn't try cds). Same happened with my friend's laptop too, but his dvd drive reads cds.

Any solutions?

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Hey guys, after i upgraded my laptop to Win8.1, my dvd drive stopped reading dvds(didn't try cds). Same happened with my friend's laptop too, but his dvd drive reads cds.

Any solutions?

Are you sure it's not hardware problem? I'm on 8.1.1 now and dvd drive is working perfectly. I have updated many times though.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Hello guys,

i just upgraded to windows 8.1 from a windows 8, the problem is with the lockscreen, it just cant be changed. Whenever i browse or set another lockscreen except the default one, the waiting dots keeps rotating until i switch to another window and then when i get back to check if the screen is cahnged or not, its the same lockscreen. Anyone with 8.1 exp might help ?

Normally those dots doesn't rotate more than few seconds in changing lockscreen wallpaper. Have you tried changing lockscreen wallpaper with other built in wallpapers AFAIK they don't load at all, they change instantly.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
I have a problem.
I have win 8.1.
have 4 drives, two are of 1000 MB each
one C drive (for win 8.1) and another Drive for which i have my docs and other stuff.
now, for a new Linux partition(i'm going to dualboot, with either ubuntu or kali), i'm trying to free up disk space, but the windows partition isn't getting any smaller (by the inbuilt tool ) and also, no new partion is able to be created, it shows error as max no. of drives.
so can i delete on one of those OEM drives (they contain dos, with which the Laptop came.
i have 500 GB Harddisk, Lenovo G510 (i5 4200M + 500GB HDD + (4+8) GB Ram + 2GB AMD radeon 8750 +etc )

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^ nope, 4, and all are primary which is the max no of partitions possible. [MENTION=113025]mastercool8695[/MENTION] - yeah, you may delete that dos partition but while creating a new one, keep in mind it has to be logical, not primary.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
^ nope, 4, and all are primary which is the max no of partitions possible. [MENTION=113025]mastercool8695[/MENTION] - yeah, you may delete that dos partition but while creating a new one, keep in mind it has to be logical, not primary.

thanks.
BTW, primary cannot be created too.
and there are 4 partitions of whom :
E : 1000MB : Primary ----------------- Contains the freedos
C: 232GB : System, boot, Page File , Active, Crash Dump, Primary partition
D: 231GB : logical Drive
1000 MB :OEM Partition. -------------------- don't know what it contains

so there are practically, two OEM partitions.
one is the last one
another is the first one.

the last one doesn't have any drive letter and it also not visible in the "My Computer"

so, what should I do ?
also, the right click menu for the last 1000MB OEM partition only has "Help" option.

Last edited:
Top Bottom