The Windows 8 Thread

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
why is there so much negativity arounf 8.1 update 1. what is the issues I would like to know?

I love the new title bar on modern apps and the ability to pin them to task bar. finally I have started using modern apps now.

amjath

Human Spambot
why is there so much negativity arounf 8.1 update 1. what is the issues I would like to know?

I love the new title bar on modern apps and the ability to pin them to task bar. finally I have started using modern apps now.

I have been using modern apps since its inception

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Windows 8.1 or Windows 8.1 update 1 :lol:

Win 8.1

I'm still not getting Win 8.1 Update 1. I guess windows will update it anyway within few days :)

Though I'm bit confused. Because according to *windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/install-latest-update-windows-8-1 I know how can I identify whether I have Win 8.1 update installed.

And I also followed the instructions there. But I installed all the updates that have been shown to me, and now there's no update to install. But still I'm missing Win 8.1 update 1.

Any idea what can I do from my side?

*i.imgur.com/HdG3qKN.png

*i.imgur.com/CYivokp.png

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Win 8.1

I'm still not getting Win 8.1 Update 1. I guess windows will update it anyway within few days :)

Though I'm bit confused. Because according to *windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/install-latest-update-windows-8-1 I know how can I identify whether I have Win 8.1 update installed.

And I also followed the instructions there. But I installed all the updates that have been shown to me, and now there's no update to install. But still I'm missing Win 8.1 update 1.

Any idea what can I do from my side?

try to download manually the update and then install.
that is what i have done.
source here: *www.extremetech.com/computing/1780...stall-windows-8-1-update-1-for-free-right-now

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Well yeah, I can search MS Download Center and do it manually, but as per MS it should show in Updates. Don't know why it's missing :(

Thanks for the link.

But before doing the same manually, is there any way to check whether MS Update already did it?

amjath

Human Spambot
Well yeah, I can search MS Download Center and do it manually, but as per MS it should show in Updates. Don't know why it's missing :(

Thanks for the link.

But before doing the same manually, is there any way to check whether MS Update already did it?

Urs still didn't update to Windows 8 Update 1
*www.aivanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/windows-8-1-update-1.jpg
Power button like this does not exist right?? Wait for a day

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Well, this process I knew. I was thinking of any other way to check. Anyway, I'd try to download manually if I don't get them within 2-3 days automatically.

Anyway thanks for all the help :D

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Well, this process I knew. I was thinking of any other way to check. Anyway, I'd try to download manually if I don't get them within 2-3 days automatically.

Anyway thanks for all the help :D

try to force update manually 2or 3 times.
make sure you have turned off metered connection. else you will not see any updates.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
try to force update manually 2or 3 times.
make sure you have turned off metered connection. else you will not see any updates.

You mean Settins > PC Settings > Sky Drive > Metered Connections > In this tab I should turn off "Upload and Download files over metered connections" right?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
You mean Settins > PC Settings > Sky Drive > Metered Connections > In this tab I should turn off "Upload and Download files over metered connections" right?

*news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-8-...matically-on-Metered-Connections-437470.shtml
i don think the option to be selected is under skydrive. look at other options under settings for the same. i dont really know,you can try the option under skydrive though.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Well I'm unable to find the settings as per *windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/metered-internet-connections-frequently-asked-questions

Though I'm using Ethernet, and I'm not sure whether I'm on metered internet connection.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as I understand, you can only set / unset Wireless connections as Metered, not Ethernet connections.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Well I'm unable to find the settings as per *windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/metered-internet-connections-frequently-asked-questions

Though I'm using Ethernet, and I'm not sure whether I'm on metered internet connection.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as I understand, you can only set / unset Wireless connections as Metered, not Ethernet connections.

i dont think so ;)
it is under pc & devices=>devices settings. check yours.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
i dont think so ;)
it is under pc & devices=>devices settings. check yours.

Yeah it's there. So I should turn it off right? Let's check :)

Also you didn't get my point. The point is yes if you turn the settings off it'll prevent to download on metered connection.

But my statement was Ethernet is not considered as metered connection, so that settings doesn't matter if you turn it on / off. Because that setting will only work of you are on a metered connection.

Like you can set your wireless connections as metered connection under networks.

Though all these are just wild guess, I'm not 100% sure :p

- - - Updated - - -

Update : Turning on or off that setting doesn't affect anything for me :(

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah it's there. So I should turn it off right? Let's check :)

Also you didn't get my point. The point is yes if you turn the settings off it'll prevent to download on metered connection.

But my statement was Ethernet is not considered as metered connection, so that settings doesn't matter if you turn it on / off. Because that setting will only work of you are on a metered connection.

Like you can set your wireless connections as metered connection under networks.

Though all these are just wild guess, I'm not 100% sure :p

- - - Updated - - -

Update : Turning on or off that setting doesn't affect anything for me :(

as per softpedia link, it must be turned on. try force checking for the update again. metered connection simply means you have a limited data plan. nothing else.

nternet service providers can charge by the amount of data used (the amount of data sent and received by your PC). That's called a metered Internet connection. These plans often have a data limit, and if you exceed the limit you might have to pay extra. In some cases, you aren't charged extra but your connection speed becomes slower until the billing cycle ends.

make sure you have installed all the updates on the windows update. after that update 1 may appear on the windows update. check here *windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/why-can-t-find-update-store

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
as per softpedia link, it must be turned on. try force checking for the update again. metered connection simply means you have a limited data plan. nothing else.

It's turned on :)

make sure you have installed all the updates on the windows update. after that update 1 may appear on the windows update. check here *windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/why-can-t-find-update-store

Well all the updates that appeared I installed it already. Even I manually did "Check Now" and installed all the updates that appeared. Now even after continuous forced "Check Now", no updates are appearing anymore.

*i.imgur.com/M30fETR.png

I believe, there's nothing much I can do from my side. Let's wait for a week, if not, I'll download and install the updates manually :D

Thanks a lot everyone for all the help :D

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
It's turned on :)

Well all the updates that appeared I installed it already. Even I manually did "Check Now" and installed all the updates that appeared. Now even after continuous forced "Check Now", no updates are appearing anymore.

I believe, there's nothing much I can do from my side. Let's wait for a week, if not, I'll download and install the updates manually :D

Thanks a lot everyone for all the help :D

that is the safe option. when you want to reinstall windows 8.1 later, you can update to update 1 without downloading the required files again saving bandwidth and time.

Top Bottom