The Samsung Series 5 550P Laptops Thread

sanku

Right off the assembly line
Hey guyz, i read the lappy has a display of 300 nits brightness.Is it relatively brighter than other lappys in this price range? also i heard the screen is bit foggy............ is it for the defective piece owners only or everybody's got that?

potheadninja

Broken In
Hi,
As I've mentioned in my previous message there is a bright spot on right hand side of the screen.
View attachment 6715
Can anybody answer my queries:

1. Will it become bigger over a time or will remain as it is ?
2. If it will not become bigger over a time, I can manage with it atleast for an year and then think about replacement of the panel.
3. I'm not feeling comfortable to allow technician to disassemble this display panel. Because, as this is a new model, they may not fit it again properly.
Pl. advise.

It looks like a stuck pixel, just rub it gently with a clean hot cloth it will go away.

pratyush997

Inactive
Hey guyz, i read the lappy has a display of 300 nits brightness.Is it relatively brighter than other lappys in this price range? also i heard the screen is bit foggy............ is it for the defective piece owners only or everybody's got that?
yeah its brighter....it seems a bit foggy...cuz contrast ratio is less due to its matte finish

yeah its brighter....it seems a bit foggy...cuz contrast ratio is less due to its matte finish

magnet

Youngling
Are there any chance of any new models been launching soon?

On 31st i went to 3 places including samsung showroom but none had the device.Now since it has passed 31st august.I dot think ill get the extra warranty.

pratyush997

Inactive

On 31st i went to 3 places including samsung showroom but none had the device.Now since it has passed 31st august.I dot think ill get the extra warranty.
yeah...but if u want paid extended warranty... dan4u posted links for that...its 4k for 3 years pick n drop service

yeah...but if u want paid extended warranty... dan4u posted links for that...its 4k for 3 years pick n drop service

magnet

Youngling

Agreed but somehow i am not finding this lappy.Though ill try to dig again few places more but not sure would be able to bargain well than.

Also since its there from quite few time have a feeling samsung or some other player might launch some new models also.

Also this oct launch of windows 8 is delaying my decision to buy lappy as i am pretty sure all companies will update their model and will come with even better gfx .

but too much confuse.

eduku

Amateur techno enthusiast
seems like bios update fixing things.....u updated it?

seems like bios update fixing things.....u updated it?

What BIOS and NVIDIA Driver version are you using.
I remember that when you first had your lappy, you had complained of heating and/or throttling issues, So what exactly did you do to tackle these problems, since your laptop seems to running fine now?

ankan

Broken In
^ Are you sure about FID 31? I have the core i5 version that is supposed to hit FID 31 when only a single core is loaded. Click on 'TRL' button in throttlestop - it will confirm the same. Or is there any way to change/override it?

pratyush997

Inactive
^ Afaik i5 can go upto 3.1 ghz ...aint it?

^ Afaik i5 can go upto 3.1 ghz ...aint it?

What BIOS and NVIDIA Driver version are you using.
I remember that when you first had your lappy, you had complained of heating and/or throttling issues, So what exactly did you do to tackle these problems, since your laptop seems to running fine now?
yeah..i got issues of throttling...later on I fixed throttling but temps screwed me....so i submitted it to cc.....now those noobs are replacing ram,mobo....etc...whatsoever....when i will check lappy again n if temps issue aint fixed i will kick their @ss

eduku

Urs welcome bro.... :wink:

v-sync should be in advanced settings in game or else u can force it by getting into nvidia ctrl panel n then manage 3d setts...there should be lot of configurable opts under selection menu.......

what r the max temps u getting? if possible set cpu to 70% n try.....ur fid should be 23 when u limit cpu to 99 n 16-18 when u limit it to 70%.....

throttling occurs to prevent overheating...so if u stop it then temps will rise....in my case it was 101C ... :shock:

Thanks pratyush997
Your advice worked!! :-D
I forced on Vertical Sync and reduced max CPU usage to 60% and I am now getting a constant 60 FPS!!!
Max temperatures are also below 85*C.. :lol:
But this does prove one thing beyond any doubt, that the bundled PSU is just under powered for a 45 watt processor. You think that Samsung will replace it with a higher powered PSU, say 120 watt?? :wink: And when do you think that we can get stable drivers from NVIDIA?? :|
Thanks again bro, don't know what I would have done without help from you guys at TDF.. :)

pratyush997

Inactive
Thanks pratyush997
Your advice worked!! :-D
I forced on Vertical Sync and reduced max CPU usage to 60% and I am now getting a constant 60 FPS!!!
Max temperatures are also below 85*C.. :lol:
But this does prove one thing beyond any doubt, that the bundled PSU is just under powered for a 45 watt processor. You think that Samsung will replace it with a higher powered PSU, say 120 watt?? :wink: And when do you think that we can get stable drivers from NVIDIA?? :|
Thanks again bro, don't know what I would have done without help from you guys at TDF.. :)
Yours welcome bro, i Donno think sammy gonna give 120w adapter ....they did provide i7 owners a cheap adapter to cut costs....they did same thing with series 7 lappy in usa......
Thanks again bro, don't know [/
what I would have done without help from you guys at TDF.. :)

Last edited:

REY619

Ambassador of Buzz
Ok guys gotta register for the extended 1 year free warranty, i see i have to upload the pic of invoice.. Does anyone know whether samsung cross check the date of invoice with the dealer or they will grant the extended warranty just by seeing the date on invoice uploaded by me?

Thanks.

eduku

Yours welcome bro, i fonno think sammy gonna give 120w adapter ....they did provide i7 owners a cheap adapter to cut costs....they did same thing with series 7 lappy in usa......
Thanks again bro, don't know [/
ain't we better than CC*
conditions apply:-we ain't provide replacement or refund :hyper: here nor we gonna repair it...u will have to do it.. :wink:

Nice one!!

But, do you think we can buy and use a 120 Watt adapter, I mean will it be compatible with this laptop...

Hey can this lappy play FIFA 12 on high settings ?
I am facing throttling issues and cpu % shoots 100 % and there is severe lag in the game...
My PC config is in my signature. ! and moreover cud this lappy play bf3 at High settings?

pratyush997

Inactive
^^this lappy can do it...if u manage to keep the temps down...
I am facing throttling issues and cpu % shoots 100 % and there is severe lag in the game...
as u got pc either reapply TIM and upgrade Heatsink or use throttle stop if ur temps are >80C

Hi,
As I've mentioned in my previous message there is a bright spot on right hand side of the screen.
View attachment 6715
Can u plz.. post pic of complete pic focusing on that spot.. pLZ....

^^this lappy can do it...if u manage to keep the temps down...

as u got pc either reapply TIM and upgrade Heatsink or use throttle stop if ur temps are >80C

mate temp of my CPU and GPU are way undercontrol ..like 65 and 70 . My PC handles bf3 at ultra as well .. (few lags ) but fyn ... and FIFA12 shud have been a piece of cake, but ...to my surprse i dint run gud. I have searched many forums and many have faced this problem and conclusion came to this that nvidia will update drivers soon. i have tried everythg but of no help.

regarding laptop ..at many places i have read about replacing the HDD wid SSD? cud u just explain to me wat exactly is this thing? Thx for the quick help tho ! :))

Top Bottom