The Samsung Series 5 550P Laptops Thread

drkrack

Broken In
Registered with samsung for 1yr additional warranty
Received an email
Thanks guys,

Got one more Lappy for my boss yesterday @9pm!
Registered for 1yr additional warranty!
:beer::beer::beer:

Raman340

Right off the assembly line
Hi Folks,

I have just joined this site and this is my first post.
I bought mine (S02) on the 4th. I have Nero (DVD decrypter), they do not identify any blank DVDs. It recognizes the recorded ones and
plays them fine. I tried to update the firmware as well, it says that it is up-to-date.

Would like to know if anyone faced a similar issue.

Folks, anyone who can help me with this!!!!

ankan

Broken In
ran 3dmark06: score 13410 default settings (1280x800 res), 11881 @ 1600x900 everything else default.
Played Assassins Creed Revelations for ~40 mins. Temps: CPU 94 :shock:, GPU 83.

Notes:
- Loading the CPU or GPU alone doesn't heat up much. Ran LinX - CPU temp never crossed 80. Ran Furmark, GPU temp never crossed 80.
- The temps rise very quickly when both CPU and GPU are loaded (playing real games). The CPU temp is always higher (fan nearer to the GPU?).
- The thermal design doesn't seem to be sufficient to handle both CPU and GPU at full load. Artificial full load scenario can be created by running a CPU intensive app in background when running a game - which will make the laptop heat up very quickly and throttle (I haven't tried CPU intensive games but I guess games like GTA4 might create similar problem).

ran 3dmark 11 overclocked core+100 / memory+100, score: P2542 (stock score: P2326). Temps were reasonable as 3DMark11 never really loads CPU and GPU at the same time, max CPU temp 84, GPU 79.

pratyush997

Inactive
@ankan never ever run funmark again in ur whole faqin life...... :shock: it known gpu killer..even 75C is enough for it to spoil gpu...

ankan

Broken In
^ok, maybe the new driver has lower performance for 3dmark06. Just ran unigine heaven benchmark 3 at 1600x900, tessellation: extreme, shaders high, no AA and got 19.1 fps / score 480. Temps: GPU 74, CPU: 85.

Unigine heaven 3, same settings, with an overclock of +100/+100 for core/memory: 21.3 fps / score: 537. Max CPU temp: 89, GPU 79.
The overclock was just for stressing - normally I would play games at stock or even with a 100 Mhz under-clock on the core clock.

Assassin's creed revelations manages to raise temps to 94/83 without any overclock - again proves that benchmarks are useless.

saaransh9

Journeyman
^ok, maybe the new driver has lower performance for 3dmark06. Just ran unigine heaven benchmark 3 at 1600x900, tessellation: extreme, shaders high, no AA and got 19.1 fps / score 480. Temps: GPU 74, CPU: 85.

Unigine heaven 3, same settings, with an overclock of +100/+100 for core/memory: 21.3 fps / score: 537. Max CPU temp: 89, GPU 79.
The overclock was just for stressing - normally I would play games at stock or even with a 100 Mhz under-clock on the core clock.

Assassin's creed revelations manages to raise temps to 94/83 without any overclock - again proves that benchmarks are useless.

u r getting pretty high temps n dont furmark again i think someone here ran it on 550p and then got it replaced as the temps were getting really high after then.

eduku

Amateur techno enthusiast
Guys, I have got my laptop for a month now, but I only started to do some serious gaming on it in the past week.
I only played 2 games ( BTW which are rather light) :
FIFA 12 in 1600x900 resolution in highest settings and PES 2013 DEMO (in the default settings which can't be changed).
When I played PES 2013 I managed to get constant FPS of 60 which is I guess due to V-sync (sometimes varying between 59 and 62), while temperatures for both CPU and GPU remained below 80*C at all times, allowing nice game play experience.
However when I tried playing FIFAS 12 it was a completely ditfferent scenario!
The FPS varied from about 15 to 150 and very frequently dropped below 30 FPS, while the temperatures for both CPU and GPU continuously shoot up to or even beyond 85*C causing problems with the gameplay. The funny thing is that as like the others mentioned, when I disconnect the power supply I manage to get better results!
This problem does not happen even on my desktop with intel HD 3000.
I checked the NVIDIA website for any new drivers, but there wasn't any there.
So what am I supposed to do??
P.S. I turn on the TURBO mode (High performance mode) when I do game on my laptop and in this setting the maximum CPU usage is set to 99% on power and 90 % on battery.
Please guys, help..

Is anyone else facing this problem or is it just me?
In that case should I contact Samsung service??

daksh

Journeyman
Just check if you're not in the power saver mode. I've played continuous Fifa for over 3 hours with constant fps at 60(vsync). I play at balanced or high performance mode. Everything maxed out.

ShyamS

Broken In
I had to upgrade almost all the drivers for fully functional laptop. My internet speed was pathetic after installing the new drivers now it back to normal. Then display glitches was there with my HDTV which got fixed after install Intel HD 4000 drivers. One thing I don't understand is why does the HDMI port is controlled by Intel graphics than nVidia.

pratyush997

Inactive
Guys, I have got my laptop for a month now, but I only started to do some serious gaming on it in the past week.
FIFA 12 in 1600x900 resolution in highest settings and PES 2013 DEMO (in the default settings which can't be changed).
When I played PES 2013 I managed to get constant FPS of 60 which is I guess due to V-sync (sometimes varying between 59 and 62), while temperatures for both CPU and GPU remained below 80*C at all times, allowing nice game play experience.
However when I tried playing FIFAS 12 it was a completely ditfferent scenario!
The FPS varied from about 15 to 150 and very frequently dropped below 30 FPS, while the temperatures for both CPU and GPU continuously shoot up to or even beyond 85*C causing problems with the gameplay. The funny thing is that as like the others mentioned, when I disconnect the power supply I manage to get better results!
This problem does not happen even on my desktop with intel HD 3000.
I checked the NVIDIA website for any new drivers, but there wasn't any there.
So what am I supposed to do??
P.S. I turn on the TURBO mode (High performance mode) when I do game on my laptop and in this setting the maximum CPU usage is set to 99% on power and 90 % on battery.
Please guys, help..

so ur one is throttling.....

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
FIFA 12 in 1600x900 resolution in......................

Please guys, help..

tried the new bios update?

ujjwal007

Lost in games
guys just played gta 4 for 1 hour....with processor max and min. usage 60% the result was quite intresting max temp was 78 :D and..again played for 15 mins with 80% min and max usage max temp was 86 and played with 100% to check it actually works or not...i got 94 max temp. so it works for me atleast!! and yeah only few less fps i can see with these changes...not much diff. iguess 4-5 fps!!

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
I had to upgrade almost all the drivers for fully functional laptop. My internet speed was pathetic after installing the new drivers now it back to normal. Then display glitches was there with my HDTV which got fixed after install Intel HD 4000 drivers. One thing I don't understand is why does the HDMI port is controlled by Intel graphics than nVidia.

The HDMI port is always controlled by the Intel HD 4000/Integrated Graphics. This is the case in almost all the laptops with an HDMI port.

ShyamS

Broken In
The HDMI port is always controlled by the Intel HD 4000/Integrated Graphics. This is the case in almost all the laptops with an HDMI port.

Mine old Vaio laptop HDMI is controlled my ATI so lot more options to tweak. I think it's a bad idea they are controlled by Intel HD 4000. If it was nVidia you get a lot more options to tweak your HDTV.

Yes please, I am quite eager to see how the temps are with a cooling pad.

Mine is running at 45 with Cooling pad (Cool Master) Movies for past 3 hours.

Top Bottom