The Samsung Series 5 550P Laptops Thread

dan4u

Took Off!!!
I played Max payne 3 for 1hr 45mins and No throttling at all:-D:mrgreen:, 40-50fps was observed most of the time. the temps were amazing cpu max 86c,gpu max 79c:mrgreen:

here's the fraps reading
2012-08-09 12:31:24 - MaxPayne3
Frames: 31516 - Time: 707730ms - Avg: 44.531 - Min: 27 - Max: 400

Temps:-

*i49.tinypic.com/mio3z8.jpg

*i45.tinypic.com/16jfu6t.gif

Gameplay Pics with fps

*i45.tinypic.com/292l5si.jpg

*i46.tinypic.com/1yyjk.jpg

*i46.tinypic.com/14xyuzt.jpg

*i50.tinypic.com/2reh8x0.jpg

*i47.tinypic.com/30aqbf6.jpg

more pics in spoiler
*i48.tinypic.com/2iqe4y.jpg

*i47.tinypic.com/10r7m0n.jpg

*i49.tinypic.com/sutz5z.jpg

I have to conclude by saying this thing is a Beast:-D

Attachments

• MaxPayne3 2012-08-09 11-49-45-58.jpg
    MaxPayne3 2012-08-09 11-49-45-58.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 71
  • MaxPayne3 2012-08-09 12-31-05-29.jpg
    MaxPayne3 2012-08-09 12-31-05-29.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 80
  • MaxPayne3 2012-08-09 11-42-37-27.jpg
    MaxPayne3 2012-08-09 11-42-37-27.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

fish_123

Banned
thats great man^..did u play in an AC room or simple ?? ..these new nvidia kepler chips are awesome :D

and yeah ..ahhh these next gen games..cant wait for hitman absolution :)

dan4u

Took Off!!!
thats great man^..did u play in an AC room or simple ?? ..these new nvidia kepler chips are awesome :D

and yeah ..ahhh these next gen games..cant wait for hitman absolution :)

Nope, No AC room, I installed the beta nvidia driver, that reduced the temps I believe. before the beta driver gpu temps was about 83c (still normal). The ivy bridge can handle upto 105c, but it'll never reach that temp, it will underclock itself, so the question of laptop getting burnt is pretty slim.

and what makes you think samsung's design is a fail?? stop giving out assumptions of your own if you don't have proof. Most people are used to dell/hp, Samsung is trying to make its mark, and this model is a definite +1 for Samsung. I'm sure many 15r se users would've got the 550p if they'd known it existed.

fish_123

Banned
we will see when final driver comes out that the design is fail or not..even samsung is not sure about why it is throttling and high temps..some guy said it here as he called samsung cc..

ratul

█████████████████
Nope, No AC room, I installed the beta nvidia driver, that reduced the temps I believe. before the beta driver gpu temps was about 83c (still normal). The ivy bridge can handle upto 105c, but it'll never reach that temp, it will underclock itself, so the question of laptop getting burnt is pretty slim.

and what makes you think samsung's design is a fail?? stop giving out assumptions of your own if you don't have proof. Most people are used to dell/hp, Samsung is trying to make its mark, and this model is a definite +1 for Samsung. I'm sure many 15r se users would've got the 550p if they'd known it existed.

well, i am definitely not in those many, even though i was the guy who first posted about this lappy, and still today, i'll go with dell over samsung, just because of peace of mind, and my mean college buddies (i really would have teased to death for buying samsung, as most of them don't know 650m... :cool:
as now i understand, whether it's 650m, or 7730m or even GTX680m, laptops are'nt meant for gaming, i mean i hate it on my dell that keeping vents open, taking care of temps, thus ruining long gameplays... My PC was a good one back 8yrs ago, and i used to game almost 8-10hrs daily, can't do same here.. :cry:
I miss hardcore gaming, and in next 2-3yrs, will going to definitely buy a gaming rig for me.. :wink:
Till then, enjoying portable gaming.. :razz:

dan4u

Took Off!!!
^ yea I guess they did...

@RON28, I tried crysys2 in two settings, 1. 1366x768 res and Hardcore settings, it gave around 30-40 fps throughout, then 2. 1600x900 and advanced settings, it gave about the same fps if not better, but felt 1600x900 looked much better.

guys, does increasing the resolution and reducing graphics look better or vice versa??

dan4u

Took Off!!!
well, i am definitely not in those many, even though i was the guy who first posted about this lappy, and still today, i'll go with dell over samsung, just because of peace of mind, and my mean college buddies (i really would have teased to death for buying samsung, as most of them don't know 650m... :cool:
as now i understand, whether it's 650m, or 7730m or even GTX680m, laptops are'nt meant for gaming, i mean i hate it on my dell that keeping vents open, taking care of temps, thus ruining long gameplays... My PC was a good one back 8yrs ago, and i used to game almost 8-10hrs daily, can't do same here.. :cry:
I miss hardcore gaming, and in next 2-3yrs, will going to definitely buy a gaming rig for me.. :wink:
Till then, enjoying portable gaming.. :razz:

aaah ratul, the one who first told us about the np550:clap2:, thanks man. and I have to say its a personal choice in the end, users like girishpav sold his dell n got the samsung, what samsung offers is a complete vfm package, gt 650m, bluray, full keyboard, 1600x900 screen (though dell offers fhd now), while dell is harder on the pocket for lesser specs, it offers better after sales service.

and any gaming sessions more than 2-3 hrs I would recommend a gaming rig. 8-10 hrs wow man, I could never do that...

Last edited:

ratul

█████████████████
aaah ratul, the one who first told us about the np550:clap2:, thanks man. and I have to say its a personal choice in the end, users like girishpav sold his dell n got the samsung, what samsung offers is a complete vfm package, gt 650m, bluray, full keyboard, 1600x900 screen (though dell offers fhd now), while dell is harder on the pocket for lesser specs it offers better after sales service.

and any gaming sessions more than 2-3 hrs I would recommend a gaming rig. 8-10 hrs wow man, I could never do that...

yep, used to be a hardcore gamer, then my pc became old, and i had ended almost all "good" games (pre 2006) on that, so wanted a gaming pc, but portability was more important in college than gaming, so bought a laptop..
After next year, hopefully i'll be employed, and then weekends would be hardcore gaming sessions.. :p

And the thing about dell hits harder on pocket, yeah it really do.. :hammer:
The only thing i would have gone with samsung, was a numpad, have to use external keyboard for dell.. :cry:

Last edited:

terrafield

Broken In
I hope you're right .. but its just that no one has really opened it up to see the secondary HDD bay .. If i'm not wrong.

It would be great to add the SSD :D

Can somebody confirm the extra HDD bay ??

Even I'm looking for answer for the same question? This is the only deal breaker for me? If it has additional HDD Bay, I'm going to store right now

Please can anyone confirm?

dexbg

Journeyman
Even I'm looking for answer for the same question? This is the only deal breaker for me? If it has additional HDD Bay, I'm going to store right now

Please can anyone confirm?

Probably not .. 15.6" chassis dont have the space for a secondary bay.
I'll be removing the Optical Drive and installing an SSD there, will the connect the Optical Drive through USB .. :D

TheSloth

The Slowest One
yep, used to be a hardcore gamer, then my pc became old, and i had ended almost all "good" games (pre 2006) on that, so wanted a gaming pc, but portability was more important in college than gaming, so bought a laptop..
After next year, hopefully i'll be employed, and then weekends would be hardcore gaming sessions.. :p

And the thing about dell hits harder on pocket, yeah it really do.. :hammer:
The only thing i would have gone with samsung, was a numpad, have to use external keyboard for dell.. :cry:
same here. and i'll get employed after 3yrs(hope) so after that gaming desktop.

terrafield

Broken In
Probably not .. 15.6" chassis dont have the space for a secondary bay.
I'll be removing the Optical Drive and installing an SSD there, will the connect the Optical Drive through USB .. :D

Can you tell me replacing optical drive is as easy as adding additional SSD? Also will it void warranty?

Thanks for your response

dexbg

Journeyman
How to upgrade Laptop HDD to SSD : NewmodeUS, Hard Drive Caddys for Notebooks

I guess replacing the Optical Drive with an SSD shouldnt void your warranty, it comes under self-servicing like upgrading the RAM etc.
Though I have no direct knowledge of this.

terrafield

Broken In
How to upgrade Laptop HDD to SSD : NewmodeUS, Hard Drive Caddys for Notebooks

I guess replacing the Optical Drive with an SSD shouldnt void your warranty, it comes under self-servicing like upgrading the RAM etc.
Though I have no direct knowledge of this.

Also it seems there is 8GB SSD 'ExpressCache' with this model. I don't know if that works similar to Intel SRT

dexbg

Journeyman
Also it seems there is 8GB SSD 'ExpressCache' with this model. I don't know if that works similar to Intel SRT

Yes I believe this model does provide Smart Response .. so bootup and system resume is faster.
By caching most used apps/files on the ExpressCache.

RON28

Cyborg Agent
^ yea I guess they did...

@RON28, I tried crysys2 in two settings, 1. 1366x768 res and Hardcore settings, it gave around 30-40 fps throughout, then 2. 1600x900 and advanced settings, it gave about the same fps if not better, but felt 1600x900 looked much better.

guys, does increasing the resolution and reducing graphics look better or vice versa??

personal choice buddy, but i liked playing in 900p resolution with advanced settings :)

aaah Ratul, so this is that guy :D thanks yaar...you have been blessed by several mid/high setting gamers :D ya...anyday gaming pc outperforms GTX 680M...But its personal choice, still happy with my samsung. thanks a lot for making this laptop into consideration among other members, because that time 15R SE was only choice left for me :p even i will build my gaming rig after three years when i will be employed, till then i will torture this GT 650M :p

sunny5

Right off the assembly line
I palyed Max payne 3 for 1hr 45mins and No throttling at all:-D:mrgreen:, 40-50fps was observed most of the time. the temps were amazing cpu max 86c,gpu max 79c:mrgreen:

here's the fraps reading
2012-08-09 12:31:24 - MaxPayne3
Frames: 31516 - Time: 707730ms - Avg: 44.531 - Min: 27 - Max: 400

Temps:-
~snipped~
I have to conclude by saying this thing is a Beast:-D

Awesome Man...Hope Ill gt this Beast Nxt WEEK
ThnX :razz::razz:LOL:razz::razz:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom