The Samsung Series 5 550P Laptops Thread

OP
har

har

In the zone
something says me that this is an enggineering fault rather than driver issue cuz there are some machines from other oems with gt 650 and faster kepler chips with no reports of such serious issues. did anyone open up the laptop and checked the design?

and i hope the 03 & 04 models aren't win 8 refresh models and will be introduced soon.

hope the issue will be solved soon. imma get this.

I think the new dv6's from hp and clevos with gt650m have the same problem too.

The inspiron se's is back in the race with the full hd screen. But damn is it ugly. My friend opposite the hall got a 15r se(1366*768 version) and damn it looks like a 5yr old design.

girishpaiv

Journeyman
I think the new dv6's from hp and clevos with gt650m have the same problem too.

The inspiron se's is back in the race with the full hd screen. But damn is it ugly. My friend opposite the hall got a 15r se(1366*768 version) and damn it looks like a 5yr old design.

(considering fact these r my first laptop's' : )
It didnt look much ugly to me!! I actually was starting to like it..but suddenly got an offer i couldn't deny n i grabed it ... :p
Look wise i liked 550p when closed(looks sleek n cool) and 15rse in opened view(inside)(550p is also good enf from inside) So overall 550p wins :)

The inspiron se's is back in the race with the full hd screen
Is still HD screen in dell site!!
(edit : okey saw the FHD option in specs tab there ...but didnt see this option on clicking "customize" !! )

Last edited:

girishpaiv

Journeyman
@girishpaiv you sold your dell? :shock: for how much? and why?

Got it for 59.7 k sold it for 59k to a frnd who was planning to buy the same .
Bought 550p for 58k with 1.5k accessories + Samsung Bag +most importantly 2 yrs warranty (hrd an offer may come on 5th for 3yrs warranty :razz:)
And the obvious reason: The best VFM lap yet..with Super Brilliant specs :twisted::cool:

rider

as Kratos
Yea! it is really thick and bulky. It weighs 2.76kg, I dont know any other laptop in its segment weighs that much :?

OP
har

har

In the zone
Yea! it is really thick and bulky. It weighs 2.76kg, I dont know any other laptop in its segment weighs that much :?

But its cooler than the 550p. Maybe the extra thickness gives it better ventilation.
But I have to say even carrying the 2.5kg sammy is a bit hard for me in long walks. Every small increase in weight count and 2.76 kg is :evil:

rider

as Kratos
But its cooler than the 550p. Maybe the extra thickness gives it better ventilation.
But I have to say even carrying the 2.5kg sammy is a bit hard for me in long walks. Every small increase in weight count and 2.76 kg is :evil:

No ventilation doesn't matter that much, if it does why old XPS heats upto 90+ it was the thickest laptop last year. And why new macbook pro retina is so slim still cool?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
No ventilation doesn't matter that much, if it does why old XPS heats upto 90+ it was the thickest laptop last year. And why new macbook pro retina is so slim still cool?

Ventilation does matters. In fact it matters the most. It acts like exhaust to throw hot air out. Old XPS had design issues. If manufacturers make any lapotp slim, they sacrifice on many things to make it safe from design issues, if any. Best example is newer models of DV6. They don't heat like their first gen counter parts as HP resolved the design issues (read cooling mechanism) and of course ditched, first gen which was the main culprit.

OP
har

har

In the zone
Ventilation does matters. In fact it matters the most. It acts like exhaust to throw hot air out. Old XPS had design issues. If manufacturers make any lapotp slim, they sacrifice on many things to make it safe from design issues, if any. Best example is newer models of DV6. They don't heat like their first gen counter parts as HP resolved the design issues (read cooling mechanism) and of course ditched, first gen which was the main culprit.

rider meant that good ventilation doesnt mean the laptop has to be thick. eg.xps even though thich heated up.
And new dv6's heat upto 97 degrees.

ratul

█████████████████
i think we all should leave MBP's from our discussions, as their build quality is premium, and the aluminium body acts as a heatsink, keeping MBP's far more cooler @ higher usage, and remember, Retina Display is far more than FHD.. :p

As far as Dell's concerned, they are cooler than 550p, mine has'nt reached above 80 (except GTA 4 with icenhancer 2.1, max 82), played arkham city for 4-5hrs, 77 was max..
And yes, sammy's heatup is a concern for gamer, if heavy gamers (like most of us) game above 90 all the time, it would'nt be a problem now, but for those who won't buy another lap soon, will definitely face problem, as constant high temps will weaken the capacitors on motherboard, and they could leak and burn (happened with me on my desktop).. DELL has accidental protection, mine with 3 yrs, so even my lap burns, it would be covered....
Hope, it's a driver issue in sammy, but acc to me, temps would be higher only, drivers can only control throttling, the games in coming years will be the "baap" of MP3, so heat build up is a serious issue.. (just hope 7730m could handle future games in low-mid)..

Last edited:

rider

as Kratos
rider meant that good ventilation doesnt mean the laptop has to be thick. eg.xps even though thich heated up.
And new dv6's heat upto 97 degrees.

All I want to convey that thickness and ventilation (fan) doesn't not much matter than than the design and tech which blow up the heat. New macbook is fantastically designed thats why remains cool even in a slim body.
And where do you read new dv6 heats upto 97?

@ratul Why we should leave macbook design, it just a part of technology and a laptop and as far as I know aluminum gets heats up more than other metals. And for low temprature of dell may be because of 35W processors. And yea! our accidental cover warranty makes the laptop completely secured.

ujjwal007

Lost in games
i think we all should leave MBP's from our discussions, as their build quality is premium, and the aluminium body acts as a heatsink, keeping MBP's far more cooler @ higher usage, and remember, Retina Display is far more than FHD.. :p

As far as Dell's concerned, they are cooler than 550p, mine has'nt reached above 80 (except GTA 4 with icenhancer 2.1, max 82), played arkham city for 4-5hrs, 77 was max..
And yes, sammy's heatup is a concern for gamer, if heavy gamers (like most of us) game above 90 all the time, it would'nt be a problem now, but for those who won't buy another lap soon, will definitely face problem, as constant high temps will weaken the capacitors on motherboard, and they could leak and burn (happened with me on my desktop).. DELL has accidental protection, mine with 3 yrs, so even my lap burns, it would be covered....
Hope, it's a driver issue in sammy, but acc to me, temps would be higher only, drivers can only control throttling, the games in coming years will be the "baap" of MP3, so heat build up is a serious issue.. (just hope 7730m could handle future games in low-mid)..

how much fps u got with icenhancer 2.1 ?? did you played on ultra settings?

ratul

█████████████████
well, on medium settings, gives 25-30 fps in night, and 35-40 fps in day..

Top Bottom