The Samsung Series 5 550P Laptops Thread

sanjoy.bose

Journeyman
Guys, having more partition is a better option or having less?
Also do you guys install games in Windows drive or a non-windows drive? Which is a better option and why? :)
Technically, more partitions are are good performance wise, as the starting sectors are close to platters (in HDD) are taken less time to read and also for that keeping on C: drive is plus on that because whether you put it in system drive or not, couple of reference still exists.

But in realty you could not find ANY difference, it's all for benchmarking, just keep defrag periodically and having the drive indexing enable is simple enough for keeping anything. So, don't bother about all these, choose what you like...

Ashish247

Journeyman
Guys, having more partition is a better option or having less?
Also do you guys install games in Windows drive or a non-windows drive? Which is a better option and why? :)

Having enough partitions.
I don't want to lose my documents in case my system crashes so I'd like to have a separate drive. Then I want to have my movies, music or the ENTERTAINMENT drive so that its systematic and easy to find. I would also like to keep my setups of software and games separately so another drive for that. In all 4 drives is what I will need.
Choose your options :)

sanjoy.bose

Journeyman
Guys Dealer confirmed the specs on Phone i will be personaly visiting the showroom tomarow. So, any further information can be provided only then
Let us know here please. if it is as you described, it will be current hot cake and sammy owners may regret it too... :-o

Usui1811

uıɐƃɐ ʇou 'ʇıɥs ɥo
Its kind of creepy to think that they havent updated it on their portal (easy thing), but the local dealer has it.

Same was for this samsung laptop too... I wonder what makes them to take so much time to update it on net.

OP
har

har

In the zone
Yep Y580 has been available for 3 days(day before i bought my samsung) !! I thought I posted it !! 63k. i7 samsung itself only 56k. Thats a difference of 7k. I agree its gtx660m but gt650m is more than enough for casual gamers. And well its a lenevo so bad service. i5 samsung only 50k or less so really no comparison. There are different segments at different price ranges :p

dan4u

Took Off!!!
Deleted the 100MB partition by mistake!! :razz::razz::razz:
Actually was feeling too sleepy, couldn,t see properly :|
Anyway ran RECOVERY(F4) and restored it. Nothing happened to the 22GB partition!!
:-D
Still there..
Installing windows now. Lets see
:-?
:p yea even I was sleepy...still gotta install Games:p ...btw did you install a beta version driver for the 650M?? is it on their website?
Local dealer quoted 63 k @hyderabda
Also Lenovo ships all thr laptops from china so prices r roughly the same everywhere

Yes local dealer has it
well if its the same specs as in the US it will be a Killer machine for that price ...:hyper:
Let us know here please. if it is as you described, it will be current hot cake and sammy owners may regret it too... :-o

nope I don't regret my decision:wink:, the i5 version, at 50k is just the perfect balance of price-performance ratio.....maybe those who are planning to get the i7 version can consider again, but then again new models will keep releasing every few months, just go for a model that fits your needs n that you can afford...

Last edited:

pratyush997

Inactive
So if y580 is rocking in india... I am up to snatch a lappy!

Local dealer quoted 63 k @hyderabda
Also Lenovo ships all thr laptops from china so prices r roughly the same everywhere

Yes local dealer has it

can you please provoide me the contact no. Of that dealer

abhishekmaha

Broken In
The cheapest configuration of the Lenovo Y580 will be the best for gaming yet...I hope it is available in India at at least near 55k....63k is too high...the cheapest config i know of has i7-3610qm, gtx 660 ddr5, 500gb hdd, etc...:mrgreen::mrgreen:

gtx660 will beat 650 any day...

dan4u

Took Off!!!
Its kind of creepy to think that they havent updated it on their portal (easy thing), but the local dealer has it.

Same was for this samsung laptop too... I wonder what makes them to take so much time to update it on net.

yep that's true, potential buyers would look elsewhere. but in the support section of samsung's website, all models are specified, even the new ones...:-?

rider

as Kratos
The cheapest configuration of the Lenovo Y580 will be the best for gaming yet...I hope it is available in India at at least near 55k....63k is too high...the cheapest config i know of has i7-3610qm, gtx 660 ddr5, 500gb hdd, etc...:mrgreen::mrgreen:

gtx660 will beat 650 any day...

Who all giving you this info, there is nothing about launch of Y580 models in india and make sure about specs, is it original GTX 660 or some other version GTX 660 with lower clock. Like last year they launched a GT 555M model with performance of GT 540M.

Base model with HD screen, 3rd gen core-i7 and GTX 660M of lenovo ideapad Y580 is of $1499 USD. So in rupees it would be approx 75k

pratyush997

Inactive
Yoooooo.. A dealer here is telling me that y580 w/ bd-rom i7 gtx 660 backlit keyboard jbl 2.1 config.......@65-67 k
it rocxxxx better than dell 17r

Ashish247

Journeyman
I visited notebookcheck for a comparison between gt 650m and gtx 660. From what i observed(and I am no expert at all) the games playable in gtx660 are playable in gt 650m too and in same settings(i.e. low, med, high or ultra) also there was difference of 10 percent to 12 percent on an average on their performance chart. I dont know how much big of a difference is it. But I can see the games are playable in similar settings.
Now lenovo has inferior screen,hdd and service(based on my experience) and 5k-7k more price(dont know the price here). I dont see how lenovo is a better buy.
P.S.- I havent bought anything yet. So I am not defending samsung at all :p
But I do have a plan to buy it.
Edited

rider

as Kratos
Yoooooo.. A dealer here is telling me that y580 w/ bd-rom i7 gtx 660 backlit keyboard jbl 2.1 config.......@65-67 k
it rocxxxx better than dell 17r

Definitely, it is a good deal under 70k but make sure about after sales, they have very very bad reputation in north india.
How is the screen 1080p or normal 768p ?

Top Bottom