The Samsung Series 5 550P Laptops Thread

pranavgoel

Broken In
as ve r talking abt gaming laptops just want to say that MSI GE60 has good config also ASUS N56
However thr availability in India is in question!!!

None of these have good supply chain in India

MSI GE 60
Graphics card -- GTX 660M 2GB DDR5
SCREEN RES 15.6-1080P
HDD-750GB AT 7200 RPM
i7 IVY BRIDGE

AUSS N56

GRAPHICS CARD- GT650 2GBDDR5
SCREEN 15.6 1080P
I7 IB

OP
har

har

In the zone
what is the cost by the way

The model in my signature costs around 50k. The i7 model with 8 GB Ram and bluray costs around 57k.

as ve r talking abt gaming laptops just want to say that MSI GE60 has good config also ASUS N56
However thr availability in India is in question!!!

None of these have good supply chain in India

MSI GE 60
Graphics card -- GTX 660M 2GB DDR5
SCREEN RES 15.6-1080P
HDD-750GB AT 7200 RPM
i7 IVY BRIDGE

AUSS N56

GRAPHICS CARD- GT650 2GBDDR5
SCREEN 15.6 1080P
I7 IB

Well asus n56 costs 90k. So will MSI ge 60. The samsung starts from only 50k. :mrgreen:

terrafield

Broken In
The model in my signature costs around 50k. The i7 model with 8 GB Ram and bluray costs around 57k.

Well asus n56 costs 90k. So will MSI ge 60. The samsung starts from only 50k. :mrgreen:

I could not find the same model (550P) in Samsung India website. Could you please share the link?

shaggy

Solid State Forum Member!
Waaah :hissyfit: will get laptop only tmrw :wah:

Every second feels like a century :censored:

Really sorry to hear about that dude. But I'm waiting too. :lol:
Can you tell me approximately when you will be getting the laptop tomorrow?

CHITRANSH

Broken In
Hello guys
i'm from Agra,India
and locally this model is available for 58k INR
Core i7|8 gb ram|1 tb hdd|2gb GT650M |blue ray

Shall i go for it locally or Nehru place, Delhi will cost me cheaper.
my buget is 65k +/-5k INR, or there is better one with in my buget?

I will be using it for simulation and mild gaming (diablo 3 and street fighter IV)

rider

as Kratos
Hello guys
i'm from Agra,India

I will be using it for simulation and mild gaming (diablo 3 and street fighter IV)

Tell me the name of shop where you are getting?
If that laptop is available for 58k, its a nice deal.. better to a bargain for 57k.

OP
har

har

In the zone
Really sorry to hear about that dude. But I'm waiting too. :lol:
Can you tell me approximately when you will be getting the laptop tomorrow?

Really no idea :oops: I am gonna call him every 2 minute from 8AM onwards till he becomes mad and gives me my laptop !! :twisted:

Hello guys
i'm from Agra,India

Thats a good deal :) but you can bargain to around 57k :wink:

abhishekmaha

Broken In
As of now, the 650m is the best performance graphics card available at 50k...If these throttling issues had not come up, it would have been an obvious choice....Now, I am divided between the 7730m Dell and the 650m Samsung...:-?:-?:-?I hope these driver issues get sorted out as soon as possible...

shaggy

Solid State Forum Member!
Really no idea :oops: I am gonna call him every 2 minute from 8AM onwards till he becomes mad and gives me my laptop !! :twisted:

My guy texted me today saying that there are exactly 2 SERIES 5 lappies 'In Transit' which are due to arrive in his shop. Could be tomorrow! :-D
So, fingers crossed! I'm going to his shop at around 11am tomorrow. Lets see.
Maybe I'll book one of them, who knows! :-o
Waiting for you bro!

OP
har

har

In the zone
As of now, the 650m is the best performance graphics card available at 50k...If these throttling issues had not come up, it would have been an obvious choice....Now, I am divided between the 7730m Dell and the 650m Samsung...:-?:-?:-?I hope these driver issues get sorted out as soon as possible...

These throttling issues were reported in just one forum. Anyway I will get mine tmrw and will game crysis extensively on it tmrw and post temp readings and report if there is any throttling issues.

eduku

Amateur techno enthusiast
Hello har,
First of all I would like to thank you and rider for your valuable inputs.
I am following this thread very keenly as I am going to buy a laptop within a month within a budget of 60K and the Samsung np550p5c-S02IN priced at 58K in my locality fits into my budget very nicely.
There are a few things that I would like you to clarify once you get your laptop tomorrow.

1. The POWER ADAPTER
Is the power adapter 90 Watt or 120 Watt. I am asking you this as in the notebookcheck.net review of their model there was throttling of the processor (it was i7-3610QM in there case) due to the lower 90 watt power adapter.
Although I suspect that in your case a 90 Watt adapter would be sufficient (and hence that is what will be provided to you) as you will have the i5-3210M which is a dual core processor as compared to the i7-3610QM which is a quad core.

2. The SCREEN (hoping its 1600X900)
The notebookcheck.net review really has me worried!
The screen brightness on their machine (17.3") was only about 220nits even though Samsung is claiming 300nits.
But, here is the real deal breaker : a contrast ratio of only 121:1
That's pathetic!!!
And its not what I come to expect from Samsung considering that my desktop monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster BX2031 and its quite fantastic in my opinion, considering that its a 20" LED monitor with dynamic contrast and also a year old but still only cost me around 7.5K.
I hope that the LED panel that Samsung is offering in India is Much Better!!!

3. The BUILD QUALITY
I know its expecting a little too much if I ask if it is as good as a HP dv6-7000 series laptop, because in my opinion its the best laptop when it cones to the build quality @60K but is the SAmmy 5 Series anywhere near in comparison to the majestic dv6. I know its a tough ask considering that the Sammy 5 Series is built completely out of plastic, while the dv6 has aluminum finish for greater strength of the chassis an also to lend a more appealing look. The only problem with the dv6 is that with a similar configuration as the Sammy, it will cost well over 70K in my opinion considering the depreciation of the Rupee against the USD and that the 7040tx with a GT630M costs over 60K...

Thanks!!! :)

gunner_kanishk

Journeyman
A friend of mine just went to Nehru Place. He looked at both the 15R and the Samsung 550p and said that looks wise, and in terms of build quality, the Samsung 550p was far, far better. Also the speakers were pretty darn amazing. And the 15.6" screen also has a 1600X900 resolution.

Price was 56-56.5k.

Just tell us about the throttling now so that we can all finalize this beast. :cool:

abhishekmaha

Broken In
These throttling issues were reported in just one forum. Anyway I will get mine tmrw and will game crysis extensively on it tmrw and post temp readings and report if there is any throttling issues.

Thanks, even people from other countries will be eagerly awaiting your review!!!:-D:-D:-D

Funny

Broken In
Finally bought this laptop on Sunday at Hyderabad, I am now in hometown, dint even use it properly. :(

Edit: Btw I purchased the i7 version. It costs Rs.62K, got it for Rs.61K at Hyderabad. Its JBL speakers are amazing, fabulous.. no words to explain. Very nice looks also :D

Last edited:

daksh

Journeyman
Yes, I went to Nehru Place today and saw the i5 one . its 1600by900 . Looked and sounded much better than the 15r SE which also I saw .
Ill probably be going for the i7 one and its almost certain with one thing worrying me that is the throttling. Its really scaring the **** out of me .

OP
har

har

In the zone
Hello har,
First of all I would like to thank you and rider for your valuable inputs.
I am following this thread very keenly as I am going to buy a laptop within a month within a budget of 60K and the Samsung np550p5c-S02IN priced at 58K in my locality fits into my budget very nicely.
There are a few things that I would like you to clarify once you get your laptop tomorrow.

1. The POWER ADAPTER
Is the power adapter 90 Watt or 120 Watt. I am asking you this as in the notebookcheck.net review of their model there was throttling of the processor (it was i7-3610QM in there case) due to the lower 90 watt power adapter.
Although I suspect that in your case a 90 Watt adapter would be sufficient (and hence that is what will be provided to you) as you will have the i5-3210M which is a dual core processor as compared to the i7-3610QM which is a quad core.

2. The SCREEN (hoping its 1600X900)
The notebookcheck.net review really has me worried!
The screen brightness on their machine (17.3") was only about 220nits even though Samsung is claiming 300nits.
But, here is the real deal breaker : a contrast ratio of only 121:1
That's pathetic!!!
And its not what I come to expect from Samsung considering that my desktop monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster BX2031 and its quite fantastic in my opinion, considering that its a 20" LED monitor with dynamic contrast and also a year old but still only cost me around 7.5K.
I hope that the LED panel that Samsung is offering in India is Much Better!!!

3. The BUILD QUALITY
I know its expecting a little too much if I ask if it is as good as a HP dv6-7000 series laptop, because in my opinion its the best laptop when it cones to the build quality @60K but is the SAmmy 5 Series anywhere near in comparison to the majestic dv6. I know its a tough ask considering that the Sammy 5 Series is built completely out of plastic, while the dv6 has aluminum finish for greater strength of the chassis an also to lend a more appealing look. The only problem with the dv6 is that with a similar configuration as the Sammy, it will cost well over 70K in my opinion considering the depreciation of the Rupee against the USD and that the 7040tx with a GT630M costs over 60K...

Thanks!!! :)

1.)I have the same doubts regarding the power adapter. Its 90W according to my info but I will confirm tomorrow. My i5 wont have problems but I am slightly doubtful about the i7 version. Does anyone know about the power adapter watts of new dv6?What abt inspiron 15r se ?

2.)Regarding screen they reviewed 1600*900 at 17" while in India its offered at 15". So pixel density is much higher. But I dont know much abt laptop screens so I may be wrong :-?

3.)Build quality will be good enough.Reviews suggest its sturdy.Samsung's have one of the least return rates in foreign countries. Its very popular in Canada and ,now upcoming in the US. So I guess they are reliable.

Finally bought this laptop on Sunday at Hyderabad, I am now in hometown, dint even use it properly. :(

Edit: Btw I purchased the i7 version. It costs Rs.62K, got it for Rs.61K at Hyderabad. Its JBL speakers are amazing, fabulous.. no words to explain. Very nice looks also :D

Please post some pics :razz:

eduku

Amateur techno enthusiast
A friend of mine just went to Nehru Place. He looked at both the 15R and the Samsung 550p and said that looks wise, and in terms of build quality, the Samsung 550p was far, far better. Also the speakers were pretty darn amazing. And the 15.6" screen also has a 1600X900 resolution.

Price was 56-56.5k.

:cool:

Did he mention about the screen quality and viewing angles?
One member in the TDF mentioned that the screen had very poor viewing angles.

What power brick did you get 90 Watt or 120 Watt?
What's the screen quality (contrast and viewing angles) like?

Top Bottom