The Photography Thread

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Rhitwick do remember to get at-least an extra pair of batteries. I am always carrying a spare charged set of batteries with me.

@all - I am thinking of getting a tripod but I am not on a good budget. The budget will be Rs.1000 & max is Rs.1500. What can I get under such a low budget?

Manfrotto & Gorillapod are out of question. Any local brands which are reliable? Anybody using tripod here?

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Cool G5, with known brands like Manfrotto and Gorillapod, you are assured of quality. But if these are out of your budget range, I suggest you go to a good photography shop and try out some models yourself, like Vivitar's Vivicam VPT series which should fall within your budget. Since you're in Mumbai, you could try places like J.J.Mehta & Sons in Dadar East.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Yes, Vivitar is available here. Got to hit J.J Mehta this weekend.
BTW do you use tripod pimpom?

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Bandra-Worli Sealink shot by me last evening.

*img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0772p.jpg*img217.imageshack.us/img217/9274/img0772p.th.jpg

Camera Used : Canon SX 100 IS
Exposure Time : 15 Secs
Aperture : F 8.0
ISO : 80
White Balance : Tungsten

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I use a tripod when needed, such as in low light when shutter speed is slow. It's also useful when you want to use the timer for a super-steady shot even if you're not going to be in the picture. Otherwise I click hand-held most of the time.

^Nice shot. If I may make a suggestion: With a small sensor camera like the SX100, you could use a wider aperture and still get a DoF that's deep enough fpr a shot like this. This will let you use a shorter exposure time, e.g. f/5.6 and 8 sec. Of course, a DSLR would need f/8 or higher.

BTW, when you try out a tripod, be sure to test the movement in tilt and pan axes. Some cheap tripods, especially all-plastic ones, can move only with jerks and squeaks.

swordfish

Somebody stop me...
I e vanguard tripod. forgot the model number.. they are very useful in night photography and macro photography. dont look for very cheap local one..
nice shot cool g5.. if i were there i would have also taken it in long expo.

some of my long expo with compact cam.

*farm4.static.flickr.com/3611/3284251278_a539d8cf8a.jpg

Camera:Canon Digital IXUS 75
Exposure:3.2
Aperture:f/2.8
Focal Length:5.8 mm
ISO Speed:80

*farm4.static.flickr.com/3498/3186714981_cb8f0b87bd.jpg

Camera:Canon Digital IXUS 75
Exposure:6 sec (6)
Aperture:f/2.8
Focal Length:5.8 mm
ISO Speed:80

Last edited:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
nice shot cool g5.. if i were there i would have also taken it in long expo.
If this was in response to my suggestion to use a wider aperture and a shorter time, I am not opposed to long exposures in itself. My suggestion of f/5.6 and 8 sec gives the same exposure (same amount of light) as G5's f/8 and 15 sec. The wider aperture compensates for the shorter duration and image brightness remains the same.

This saves time, not just for the exposure itself, but also for the additional time the camera takes to retrieve the charge from the CCD sensor. Reading the CCD charge takes about the same time as the exposure time, and this doubles the delay.

When you want to take several pictures in succession, a difference of 15 seconds or so for each shot is quite significant.

The difference in the results with f/8 at 15 secs and f/5.6 at 8 secs will be in the depth of field (DoF), but with small-sensor conpact cameras, the DoF at f/5.6 is still very good.

swordfish

Somebody stop me...
hehe man.. why you always take on yourself... ;) i didnt even read your post
check my shots i generally take max 5 sec exposure..

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
OK. But coming so soon after my post, a less experienced reader might have thought your statement was an indirect contradiction to my suggestion. I just didn't want anyone to be misled.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@swordfish - The first shot appears a bit blown out, maybe one stop less in exposure would have done the trick. The second one is good. :)

swordfish

Somebody stop me...
thanks man.. in my compact cam had very less option in exposure :(
but you know personally i like the first one..

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
^Its not that bad. Good shot.
The one who overcomes the shortcomings of his photography equipments is the true photographer. :)

M

mysticjayant

great pics everyone....check one of mine....hope you can figure out how its done....This photo is straight from the camera...no post processing ...

*farm3.static.flickr.com/2453/3554099408_226e836bbe.jpg

joey_182

Jack Sparrow
Hi. this thread inspired me to share my photographs too..
i do name my pics and None of them in automatic mode....so here are few of them..

1. "Sunset after Monsoons"
*img218.imageshack.us/img218/3356/00000231.th.jpg

2. "My three Musketeers"
*img139.imageshack.us/img139/7868/threemuskteers.th.jpg

Color : Sepia

3. "Surface Says Alot"
*img249.imageshack.us/img249/6990/00000041.th.jpg

4. "Zoom In"
*img140.imageshack.us/img140/4218/nokiacable.th.jpg

5."Zoom Out"
*img249.imageshack.us/img249/8154/nokian72.th.jpg

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@Mystic jayant : How did you do that? Some torches along with slow shutter, I guess.

@Rhitwick - Which charger you purchased?

@joey_182 - I liked the first one. All the others are underexposed.

toofan

Technomancer
Hi cool joe. remembered me. I too want to post my pics here but how?

And why i am not able to view some pics. Are these removed or something else.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Hi cool joe. remembered me. I too want to post my pics here but how?
The basic idea behind posting a picture in a forum is to upload the picture to an image hosting site and then post the link in the forum. There are variations to this.

The simplest way to do this is to upload the image to a free site like Imageshack: [u]*imageshack.us[/u]. You can do this directly on the home page or you can create a free account and upload it to your own page.

The advantage of having an account is that you have more control and it's easier to keep track of your images.

There are many other free image hosting sites and their policies are not all the same. For instance, some sites do not allow direct linking, i.e., your image will not show up in a forum as you can post only a link or a thumbnail. Sites also differ in the number of images you can store with them or with the maximum file size or image dimensions in pixels.

Top Bottom