The Photography Thread

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
only 80 or 100...my phone support upto 3200
hmmm......

In photography if u want take pictures in low light always use low ISO settings.
In low ISO settings the lense aperature increases and lets it enter more light (correct me if I'm wrong, experts).

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
@rithwick: to an extent that is true...most digital cameras compensate for a low ISO by increasing the aperture or by increasing the exposure time...ISO basically means how much the light received by the camera's sensor is amplified by the in camera processor...this leads to brighter photos even in dark conditions with low exposure but the photos have a lot of noise since a low quality signal is being amplified ....

if your camera supports long exposure times and during the photo you can keep the camera stable then go for the lowest ISO possible if not then increase the ISO ...but most cameras give really bad images at ISO settings of more than 800

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
A high ISO lets you take pictures in low light, but produce more image noise, especially with small-sensor cameras like compacts and phone cameras. ISOs of 1600 or 3200 are mostly gimmicks and should be used only in an emergency where a bad picture is better than no picture at all.

This is why I suggested setting the ISO number manually so that the camera will not try to use a higher setting.

DSLRs have larger sensors and have less noise because the individual pixels on the sensor are larger. Moreover, the CMOS sensors they use are less noisy than the CCD sensors of compacts. Even then, as a general rule, it is better to go no higher than 800 unless lighting conditions make it necessary to use a higher ISO.

With point-and-shoot cameras, noise is usually noticeable at ISO 200 and gets worse at higher settings. The effect is less in good light but it's still there.

The disadvantage of using low ISO is that it needs a longer exposure (slow shutter speed). In low light, this can produce a blurred image due to camera shake or subject movement.

Going back to moon shots, most inexperienced photographers think they need a high exposure because the rest of the scene is dark. But the surface of the moon is as bright as a sunlit landscape here on earth. So exposure requirements are approximately the same as a daylight shot, though pollution and haze can change that.

The camera thinks the same way as an inexperienced photographer if it is set for auto-exposure with scene-average metering. That's why we have to use manual settings or spot metering.

Spot metering measures the amount of light in a small selected area. With simple P&S cameras, the selected area is in the centre, while advanced cameras offer the option of choosing other spots in the scene.

swordfish

Somebody stop me...
*farm4.static.flickr.com/3639/3407325313_14d58b4de4.jpg

*farm4.static.flickr.com/3585/3412341845_59d6b64f52.jpg*farm4.static.flickr.com/3585/3412341845_59d6b64f52.jpg

he guys check this

M

mysticjayant

@ all ...this is my first post in the think digit forum,,i was drawn in to post specially because of this topic...
so here we go..
@ pimpom...
canon does have dslr by the name of EOS 450D..its an entry level dslr and would cost you around 40-45 k...if u need to read a review here's one.,,
*www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos450d/

and i specially liked the moon photos u'v posted..just a query...do u own all d 4 cameras u mentioned??

@ izzikio_rage,..hurr,...grt pics dude...shd have sent dem to d google theme contest...

this is a link to my flickr album..again comments are welcome..i havent updated the album for a while .but some i guess u guys wd like the techniques used in the pics..
*www.flickr.com/photos/mysticjayant

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
@ pimpom...
canon does have dslr by the name of EOS 450D..
I know that. But swordfish said "D450". I was just pulling his leg. It's like saying "My car is a Hyundai 20i" - strange mistake for someone who actually uses it, especially when a D before a number is used by Canon's arch rival Nikon.

and i specially liked the moon photos u'v posted..just a query...do u own all d 4 cameras u mentioned??
Not anymore. The Fuji S3500 was my first digital camera. I had it for a few months before I sold it and bought a Panasonic FZ20. Two years later, I bought an FZ30 and kept the two of them until I sold the FZ20 towards the end of last year. The Kodak is my brother's which I sometimes use when I need a smaller camera than the FZ30.

I also had a Panasonic FZ5 for some time, but I don't have any moon shots taken with it, so I couldn't include it.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
@mysticjayant: wow ...amazing photos dude.....you'll have to post a tutorial soon ...specially for the halo photos ..

swordfish

Somebody stop me...
I know that. But swordfish said "D450". I was just pulling his leg. It's like saying "My car is a Hyundai 20i" - strange mistake for someone who actually uses it, especially when a D before a number is used by Canon's arch rival Nikon.

Not anymore. The Fuji S3500 was my first digital camera. I had it for a few months before I sold it and bought a Panasonic FZ20. Two years later, I bought an FZ30 and kept the two of them until I sold the FZ20 towards the end of last year. The Kodak is my brother's which I sometimes use when I need a smaller camera than the FZ30.

I also had a Panasonic FZ5 for some time, but I don't have any moon shots taken with it, so I couldn't include it.

dude cant you understand that i hava also posted chivas cap so this mistake is normal after having chivas ;)
ok its canon 450D (rebel xsi) with tamron 18-200 mm lense .. now is it ok ?

swordfish

Somebody stop me...
@pimpop,
I checked all the camera mentioned in your photo and they are not compact cam. they are fixed lense slrs with big zoom which is needed in moon shots. else you have to crop the pic which reduces the quality..

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
dude cant you understand that i hava also posted chivas cap so this mistake is normal after having chivas ;)
ok its canon 450D (rebel xsi) with tamron 18-200 mm lense .. now is it ok ?
Relax. I knew what you meant. I was just teasing you.

Anyway, did you reduce the size of the picture (instead of cropping it) before posting it? If you didn't reduce the size, the size of the moon indicates that you shot it at about 85mm focal length. I thought you probably used a 17-85mm zoom lens.

Now you've misspelled my name. You really have to lay off the booze. :D
I checked all the camera mentioned in your photo and they are not compact cam. they are fixed lense slrs with big zoom which is needed in moon shots. else you have to crop the pic which reduces the quality..
I didn't say that they are compacts. I just said that an SLR is not essential. Anyway, my cameras are not DSLRs. They are what are called super-zooms, bridge cameras or SLR-like cameras.

They are sometimes called SLR-like because they resemble DSLRs in appearance and operation, but they are not SLRs because they do not have a mirror and prism system that gives an optical view of the subject. They use electronic viewfinders (EVF) instead.

In any case, you can take good shots of the moon with compacts, especially those with long zooms such as the Panasonic TZ series, Canon SX cameras, etc.

swordfish

Somebody stop me...
no man i used 200mm focal.. and i had to crop to make it look like big one.. sorry to mispell i had some more ;) ya i agree thay are not slr but bridge without mirror.. but i will suggst to buy slr instead of fixed lens.. its just my view..
please share some of your shots..
what gear do you use ?

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
swordfish, appreciate your replies but I can't post a detailed reply now. A close relative died tonight and I have to go to bed now so that I can get up in time to attend the funeral at noon tomorrow. I came back from their house a short while ago. Will continue the thread tomorrow.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
@swordfish: dude you are addicted to booze .....anyway nice pic.

one from my side

*farm4.static.flickr.com/3323/3580538249_7a075200be.jpg?v=0
used my sony W150

P.S how do you put the photo in the post itself

Last edited:

swordfish

Somebody stop me...
@pimpom , take rest dude...

@izzikio_rage , hehe man you got it...

nice pic dude.. like it..
to put picture in the post from flickr (I guess u r using it), open the photo and click on the "all size" on the top of the photo. select medium as big size will cause page to load slow. now copy the url specified below. in quick reply, there is one option to upload the picture. click on it. and paste the url of your photo. and voila....

Top Bottom