The Photography Thread

Got a chance to meet real model today.....sad that it was not meant to be a photo session.
Now I think I know the difference between real photographers and my level.....the person who introduced me used a combination of Nikon Df, Olympus OMD-E5 and Ricoh GR..

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Got a chance to meet real model today.....sad that it was not meant to be a photo session.
Now I think I know the difference between real photographers and my level.....the person who introduced me used a combination of Nikon Df, Olympus OMD-E5 and Ricoh GR..
What is the difference between you and a real photographer?

sujoyp

Grand Master
It seems a real photographer spends 3 lakh on his cams and lenses saying that they are for specific needs...and we spend same 3 lakh on various lenses saying we need to cover all range :D

nac

Aspiring Novelist
It seems a real photographer spends 3 lakh on his cams and lenses saying that they are for specific needs...and we spend same 3 lakh on various lenses saying we need to cover all range :D
:rofl: And we leave the 300k gear at home and take compact, and say that it's comfortable carrying everywhere :D

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
That's true... I've been watching the pro photographer cheap camera challenge videos on digital rev tv... Its really all about the photographer.

What is the difference between you and a real photographer?

I don't know. I click nearly 200-300 pictures for an event. They take close to 30. In this case, I took more than 250 and couldn't find shots which were as good as his 7.
And specifically, I think we complaint about gears a lot...this camera has that, this lens is not that sharp on that range etc etc, but we don't care much about the actual picture coming out of it(I'm generalizing it, not specific to every amateur photographer).

sujoyp

Grand Master
I belive with equal gears Pro can compose better...but generally they have the advantage of full frame DSLR with pro and sharp lenses like 24-70 2.8 ...we can not match the quality of pics with our compromised gears.

I belive with equal gears Pro can compose better...but generally they have the advantage of full frame DSLR with pro and sharp lenses like 24-70 2.8 ...we can not match the quality of pics with our compromised gears.

I'm not sure [MENTION=39722]sujoyp[/MENTION]. I'm not trying to undermine myself or someone else, but I was forced to think again. I spent nearly 40K for a A6000, now I'm going to spend another 30K for lenses. Do I really need those lenses ? Or should I focus more on subject and composing a shot, try to be more creative. My friend uses a GR....and his shots are awesome. Another friend of my still prefers film!! and still they are good, and even shots on his A6000 are quite nice.
Well I can always blame on my gear, or I can try doing something better. Personally now I find my gallery to be pretty naive in nature.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
True... Its a lot more than the gear. Its experience and knowledge and art. I've seen people use phones to take amazing shots, use cams that are years old to compose awesome stills.

Gear makes a hell of a difference not only in the right hands. Think of it, if i give your stuff to an amateur who says that all he needs to get good shots is a great cam and lenses, will they get shots as good as yours?

I think not.... And I've tried with my friends. So i guess it is knowledge

BTW a shot ... this is the photography thread

*farm1.staticflickr.com/263/20031105096_e38eba4549_c.jpg
Taking flight by Amlan Mathur, on Flickr

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I'm not sure @sujoyp . I'm not trying to undermine myself or someone else, but I was forced to think again. I spent nearly 40K for a A6000, now I'm going to spend another 30K for lenses. Do I really need those lenses ? Or should I focus more on subject and composing a shot, try to be more creative. My friend uses a GR....and his shots are awesome. Another friend of my still prefers film!! and still they are good, and even shots on his A6000 are quite nice.
Well I can always blame on my gear, or I can try doing something better. Personally now I find my gallery to be pretty naive in nature.
This reminds me of a quote I read few years ago from the book "Art of Composition"
Photographers tend to show a disproportionately high level of interest in equipment and a disproportionately low level towards the fundamentals of using it.

Don't get hard on yourself, technological advancement making an year old product look like an antique. People can't hold their urge to buy a product they can afford despite being expensive, being no need of it. People like to have a sophisticated system. Looking around us, everything is more sophisticated than a decade, a year, a month ago. That's what we have been doing for 1000s of years.

There will be a time, when one doesn't get the urge for getting something beyond the need of it. Then the focus will be shifted to the fundamentals and will learn more (not that I am implying one doesn't learn now :D)...

Sorry guys I got carried away a little.. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Taking flight
Nice one...

You know guys, I am extremely excited that I have found a tool.

I have developed a soft corner for b/w photos ever since I started reading "art of composition". Many a times, I feel that some of your images would look good in b/w and which made me do get the photos and edit it to b/w. This takes so many steps, but I was still doing. Lately, something stroke my mind "how about changing my display to b/w" (temporarily) to view the images in grayscale mode. Now you know how that made me to screw up my display settings :D.

Now I have found a tool called "Negative Screen" which helps me to view the things I want in b/w with just couple of clicks. *www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/yay.gif
BTW, it's nice in b/w Amalan :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
nice pic [MENTION=290781]Alma[/MENTION]n

I do belive the importance of techniques and composition...but I will never neglect the equally important gear....
Recently I shot some pics with 17-50 2.8 and some with 50mm 1.8 ...both at f4 and I should say the pics taken with 50mm 1.8 have much better sharpness and blurry bg...its more eye pleasing.

The person who knows what he would love to shoot in future have a better optimised investment...and a person like me who wants to shoot everything have to invest in wide+macro+medium telephoto+long tele :D

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
True... Its a lot more than the gear. Its experience and knowledge and art. I've seen people use phones to take amazing shots, use cams that are years old to compose awesome stills.
Do you have some examples / links ?

I believe with equal gears Pro can compose better...but generally they have the advantage of full frame DSLR with pro and sharp lenses like 24-70 2.8 ...we can not match the quality of pics with our compromised gears.
One reason Pro's get better picture is because they spend considerable time and effort to find a good subject. A good subject with average composition will always look better than a bad subject with a good composition.
Most of us try to make the best of what is around us on days when we don't have anything else to do.

Gear makes a hell of a difference not only in the right hands. Think of it, if i give your stuff to an amateur who says that all he needs to get good shots is a great cam and lenses, will they get shots as good as yours?
I don't get your point here. Comparison with absolute amateurs does not makes any sense.
I don't think photography is as difficult as people make it out to be. I think any one with a some free time and interest can easily learn the technical aspects and basics & shoot decent photos, as good as most on this forum .

BTW a shot ... this is the photography thread
Taking flight

What kind of a plane is that, was it flying too low ?

And since this is the photography thread :
*farm4.staticflickr.com/3710/20061868555_d9e0effc80_b.jpgPark by Gen Libeb, on Flickr

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Do you have some examples / links ?
You mean, good photographs taken with a normal compact camera? I am sure you can find many...
One reason Pro's get better picture is because they spend considerable time and effort to find a good subject. A good subject with average composition will always look better than a bad subject with a good composition.
100% I agree. Subject matters. I have said this too sometime ago...
I don't get your point here. Comparison with absolute amateurs does not makes any sense.
I don't think photography is as difficult as people make it out to be. I think any one with a some free time and interest can easily learn the technical aspects and basics & shoot decent photos, as good as most on this forum .
I would reply here, but everyone would pound me for it. I better pm you... Wait a sec, what if you jump on me??? I better *i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/themarbleintheoatmeal/smilies/zipper.gif
And since this is the photography thread :
Park
I like it, but the processing.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Search for pro photographer cheap camera challenge on youtube. You'll find out how pros handle cheap cameras to get great shots. 500px and flickr have a cam finder page. Have a look at the pics from a galaxy s3 or a one plus one, there are some amazing pics there.

So yes equipment matters but you can do well with a little bit of creativity.

Was comparing with absolute amateurs since thats what we look like to people who have been in this industry for a long time. While we snap everything, they will spend a lot of time composing, waiting for the right time, right light before they shoot

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
While we snap everything, they will spend a lot of time composing, waiting for the right time, right light before they shoot
Well, they look for photos all the time may be because that's what they do for a living but you can't really expect us to do that.

So yes equipment matters but you can do well with a little bit of creativity.
Do you guys think creativity is something people are born with or can it be learned ?

quan chi

mortal kombat
[MENTION=154968]Gen.Libeb[/MENTION] nice shot but the pp could have been better, or you could have faced away from the sun.(Looks like it was taken somewhat near the afternoon.)

What kind of a plane is that, was it flying too low ?

Hmm..the plane..I guess an ATR-72 ? Because from the livery I can tell that it belongs to Jet/JetKonnect, and they operate planes like this...actually I take one regularly between Indore and Delhi. (Personally, I think Jet has the best livery in India, from an aesthetic point of view-and photographic too :p )

Top Bottom