sujoyp

Grand Master
Good shot Inci ...loved those eagle shots

- - - Updated - - -

My 1st attempt at star photography .

*farm4.staticflickr.com/3742/13587909804_b5531fa75d_z.jpg

kaz

right here
A request to everyone, please hyperlink the images to the upload page (flickr/500px ...) so that we can see at what settings the image was taken :)

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Inci, The last colourful shot is nice.
IQ of first two isn't that good. High ISO? Lens quality? Cropped too much? (or am I expecting too much :chinscratch:)
The coconut tree background are not that appealing.
Sky background, subject is not properly exposed.

Kaz, Sometimes the software used strips the exif info. And sometimes exif don't record the correct info (so the reason I typed them for my star trail shots)

- - - Updated - - -

Sujoy, That's a nice attempt. I don't see a place near Nagpur without any kind of lights. Bor National Sanctuary and Pench tiger reserve are two places where you can get less light.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
All the shots are shot with AI servo and single point center focus. All of the are shot in RAW and Lightroomed slightly. The blur is natural.

You are right Nac,I should use Photoshop to blur the Eagles background and check.The lens though great but dosnt retain the sharpness after 250/200mm.

sujoyp

Grand Master
[MENTION=125321]nac[/MENTION] I am going to Tadoba on 4th and 5th may...all bookings done...will try some stars there too

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Nac ,sky is non point in the eagle shot as it is infinite but the main focus is the eagle,look at the suns natural light (color contrast)on the eagles body bringing out the details.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Sujoy, You can stay there at night time?
Inci, Yeah, :D its obvious that eagle is the subject. Since there are photographs of eagle with different background, I used "coconut tree" and "sky" to differentiate. I meant that eagle is not properly exposed where the photograph's background is "sky". :)
-----------------------------------------
Newbies tend to shoot subject which are too far, even when using full zoom subjects are too far. They... :chinscratch: we think that we can crop as we have more than enough megapixels at our disposal. We shoot, we see it in our computer screen, go close and look it at pixel level. There it is... subject is big enough for screen now. Crop and post it. But the images are not good. What did we miss? In fact, everything.
IQ is poor/ or atleast not good enough.
May be focus is not precise
No/less sharpness, colour depth blah blah...
This is what I did when I got my camera two years ago (may be I will still be doing if I am doing bird photography. I don't remember when was the last time I did birding). And Sujoy suggested to try it with subjects which are closer.
Sure photographer matters. But subject also matters to some extent.

- - - Updated - - -

Inci, One tip. I am not a DSLR user or I have tried this before. Just that it stroke my mind. If you think, you're not getting enough sharpness at tele, you can stop down a little to get it, right?

DSLR users, will it work?

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Nac ,I could have photoshopped lightroomed to make the subject brighter but then the setting suns natural light from the west side of the eagle would have lost its significance killing the interplay of light and shade! The whole point of that photo is the natural mellow sunlight of the setting sun bathing the eagle from one side only,west.
Over blurring of the sky would have made the picture look unnatural with a pale bluewhite nothing.

The coconut tree could have been blurred further to create the green infinite effect.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
As a PnS user I can say that the lens is not sharp at full zoom. And focus is not 100% accurate. So full zoom images don't have iq as good as no zoom images. I see grain even at ISO 100 with full zoom on my sx240

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Sujoy, You can stay there at night time?
Inci, Yeah, :D its obvious that eagle is the subject. Since there are photographs of eagle with different background, I used "coconut tree" and "sky" to differentiate. I meant that eagle is not properly exposed where the photograph's background is "sky". :)
-----------------------------------------
Newbies tend to shoot subject which are too far, even when using full zoom subjects are too far. They... :chinscratch: we think that we can crop as we have more than enough megapixels at our disposal. We shoot, we see it in our computer screen, go close and look it at pixel level. There it is... subject is big enough for screen now. Crop and post it. But the images are not good. What did we miss? In fact, everything.
IQ is poor/ or atleast not good enough.
May be focus is not precise
No/less sharpness, colour depth blah blah...
This is what I did when I got my camera two years ago (may be I will still be doing if I am doing bird photography. I don't remember when was the last time I did birding). And Sujoy suggested to try it with subjects which are closer.
Sure photographer matters. But subject also matters to some extent.

- - - Updated - - -

Inci, One tip. I am not a DSLR user or I have tried this before. Just that it stroke my mind. If you think, you're not getting enough sharpness at tele, you can stop down a little to get it, right?

DSLR users, will it work?

Yes works. But with the zoom lenses stretching it all out thin on the lighting front at F6.3 F5.6 (maximum) you have very little room on the exposure (shutter time) side, particularly so in the medium light situations like Incinerator has here, and even more so with something as fast a bird in flight. I really think the shots he got are excellent, for what its worth considering the very tight limits with that lens. I'd put my two cents that those shots are grazing the telephoto limits of the lens he has got.

He couldnt possibly stop it down anymore in that last shot and get anything worth mentioning.

Last edited:

Stuge

Youngling
Eclipsed-India Gate:

Eclipsed -It took almost 3 years, and 3 attempts to realize this picture .Idea came up in May 2011 over a cup of coffee.Two attempts were made in 2012 ,but failed due to fog and clouds (No attempt was made in 2013 ) .3rd time in 2014 , I got the success in shooting what I wanted for so long :)

*farm4.staticflickr.com/3813/13373196685_2d318d6b3c_b_d.jpg

*farm3.staticflickr.com/2862/13406447674_d2c4bef788_b_d.jpg

*farm4.staticflickr.com/3784/13300489735_df563770be_z_d.jpg

Celestial Alignments

*farm8.staticflickr.com/7108/13266669895_5db3c29445_z_d.jpg

sujoyp

Grand Master
[MENTION=26205]Stuge[/MENTION] I liked the last one where india gate is well exposed and moon is behind ...others are also good

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
[MENTION=26205]Stuge[/MENTION] liked the one with the moon the most
[MENTION=52310]Tenida[/MENTION]: sorry but the date watermark doesn't look good

@inci lovely bird shots

chitvan

Journeyman
Eclipsed-India Gate:

Eclipsed -It took almost 3 years, and 3 attempts to realize this picture .Idea came up in May 2011 over a cup of coffee.Two attempts were made in 2012 ,but failed due to fog and clouds (No attempt was made in 2013 ) .3rd time in 2014 , I got the success in shooting what I wanted for so long :)

Very nice clicks..
Very well captured and composed,
loved the way you placed sun, human and bird,(placing of sun nicely), I would love to see pics you captured in 2011,2012,

Nice one again,nicely composed,

Sun part is harsh here as you can't do anything there, but foreground captured well, nice details there and those two lines make the pic.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yesterday, I went to a town 35kms away from city. Still there was light pollution. But I could see more stars in the sky than my place. Still I couldn't see stars in horizon level. May be I could've if I stayed in the dark for 15-30 min, my eyes would have adjusted to see.

I was trying this in the terrace. This photograph is blend of two photographs. To exaggerate the moon, I down sampled the "near focus" image and blended it with "full size - infinity focus" moon image.

*i.imgur.com/ucTTcZH.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This one shot when I returning back home. I have imagined many times, that we can put some big subjects along with moon/sun @ high focal length. Till now, all I could put in the frame was some leaves of a tree and that too won't be in focus as they were so close. This time, both the foreground subject and moon are in focus. But I couldn't set right exposure for both at the same time. If I set exposure for moon, the foreground will go dark + I was shooting handheld (even @ 1/3 of a sec, it was dark. I pushed exposure in PP). Since it's just a crescent, I thought this will come OK.

*i.imgur.com/1giBhQJ.jpg

Top Bottom