The Photography Thread

toofan

Technomancer
Sounava: thank for detailed feedback and suggestions these will certainly help me do better next time.

I have auto extension tubes but I use them in manual focus mode of my camera. I too move the camera forward and backward. And shoot many frames. Who knows the next one could be more sharp.

For sharp images you need

1. A tripod. This is the best solution.
2. or a shutter speed of + 1/125, I use 1/200 or 1/160 mostly.
3. I use F-8 mostly and f-11 rarely.
4. Rest yourself in elbows, or support the cam on your knees or anything stable if no tripod is available.
5. I mostly use ISO 400 or even 800 to get decent shutter speed.
6. Use flash to get decent working light.

This only applies to higher magnification shots.

thanks ajay and tech freek. for the feedback.

Stuge

Youngling
Nice pic.

Why such a long exposure?
The water and land meeting point is almost in the midline.
dood,you don't stick to rules every-time .

long exposure done to get the still effect (water)/or silky effect .

@sujoyp: yes because I shoot mostly at dawn or dusk/night

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
In Horizontal

*farm4.static.flickr.com/3005/5876105920_e3f5c70f47_z.jpg

@Toofan:1st is awesome

sujoyp

Grand Master
@stuge...actully I saw that mostly u shoot landscapes...soo thought may be tripod is useful for taking long exposure shots:smile:

@toofan...I am missing a flash and simple tripod very badly...but sadly its not in next months budget:hyper::stamp:

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
Guys suggest me a good handy tripod for my D1000... i will be shooting using 50-250mm lens and need something for night shots. I will go to Banaras next month and want to get some really good night shots there but that is not possible without tripod...

I am in US now.. if u can suggest something here... it will be great.

Sounava

In the zone
Sounava: thank for detailed feedback and suggestions these will certainly help me do better next time.
You're welcome :)

I have auto extension tubes but I use them in manual focus mode of my camera. I too move the camera forward and backward. And shoot many frames. Who knows the next one could be more sharp.

For sharp images you need

1. A tripod. This is the best solution.
2. or a shutter speed of + 1/125, I use 1/200 or 1/160 mostly.
3. I use F-8 mostly and f-11 rarely.
4. Rest yourself in elbows, or support the cam on your knees or anything stable if no tripod is available.
5. I mostly use ISO 400 or even 800 to get decent shutter speed.
6. Use flash to get decent working light.

This only applies to higher magnification shots.
Thanks a lot for your suggestions :)
Probably the biggest advantage of auto extension tubes is that you get full metering and aperture control :)
In that way your camera will stay wide open while you are composing and then stop down to f/8 when the shutter is pressed. In my case the VF will be completely dark if I set it to f/11 :( [manual aperture ring]
I will keep your advice in mind and try to implement them nonetheless.

@sounava...I hope u now know what it takes to take macros of insects who run away:razz: ...keep practicing...I too move cam to and fro for focusing:smile:
Yeah its hell of a tough thing to do.

Stuge

Youngling
@stuge...actully I saw that mostly u shoot landscapes...soo thought may be tripod is useful for taking long exposure shots:smile:

I have three Tripods

1.Sony -VCT-R100[good for daily usage specially with pns or dslr with lens upto 80mm)

*www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/so/sony-vct-r100-tripod.jpg

2.Sony VCT-R640 (I seldom use it now )

3.Velbon Carbon Fibre CF640

Velbon Tripods - Velbon Sherpa 645 CF

*farm5.static.flickr.com/4089/5201790287_e55612a5ec_z.jpg

*www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/uploads/images/tripods/645_ground.jpg

*Sony on the left and velbon on the right .

*With Velbon I can replace pan head with ball head if needed

sujoyp

Grand Master
@stuge...sony one looks good but it can carry weight just upto 80mm lens:???:...thats too less..

carbon fible tripods are just too costly for a starter like me...but I think its strudy lightweight and easy to carry around:)

Stuge

Youngling
@stuge...sony one looks good but it can carry weight just upto 80mm lens:???:...thats too less..

carbon fible tripods are just too costly for a starter like me...but I think its strudy lightweight and easy to carry around:)

don't get the first one .Its not made for dslr anyway .

VCT:RT640 or alike can carry more weight .[I was able to use Tamron 70-300mm ,but not Nikon 70-300mm Vr or Sigma 70-200mm f2.8.Tammy weighs about 400 grams ,but the later one weighs about 700 grams and up ]

Just keep in mind less sturdier tripods will make it hard to do ultra long exposures during windy days .

sujoyp

Grand Master
@ stuge...thanks for information..

just one last question for now...what height is ideal for tripod...I think biig tripods r not easy to carry and small ones are not easy to use..:)

I would love a tripod which can carry at least a weight of 1.2KG

Stuge

Youngling
just one last question for now...what height is ideal for tripod...I think biig tripods r not easy to carry and small ones are not easy to use..:)

that will depend upon your height .Make sure you don't have to bend down too much to view through the view finder .This is minus the center column.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

*farm6.static.flickr.com/5304/5885266666_34a202831b_z.jpg

sujoyp

Grand Master
@stuge Very nice image....feels like printing a poster out of it:)

Can this one be called abstract....donno just trying ;)
*lh3.googleusercontent.com/--POUADYBz3k/TgtMTjuxU0I/AAAAAAAAGZY/QAkkobdkTko/s800/DSC_4452.JPG

Last edited:

Sounava

In the zone
Stuge what is the price of the carbon fibre tripod you are using? :p
I have my eyes set on this one: Vanguard – Photo-Video - Tripods, Camera Bags, Cases, Optics, Binoculars
It is around 4.6k
Will it be a good buy?

Now about photos:
stuge: why don't you give a bigger size of the pic? from the small size too it looks really nice though :)
sujoy: It just looks like an OOF flower :p

sujoyp

Grand Master
yaah I know it looks like OOF flower..but most of them is like that...just google search u would know:lol:

My poor experiment...I will bring something better soon:)

Anish

Spectre
Hi, I am new to photography. I've bought a P&S (My dad restricted me to that budget).
Can I get a good budget friendly suggestion for a tripod stand for my camera?
My camera is Canon Powershot SX 130 IS

@Stuge: I hope you are using a SLR camera. I like that monsoon magic strip. BTW, I saw your posting in previous threads stating 101 sec exposure. nearly 2 minutes! whats the maximum limit in SLR cameras. I have only maximum 15 seconds

Stuge

Youngling
sounva : mostly 15k up

bigger version(just to prevent thieves from stealing )

*farm6.static.flickr.com/5304/5885266666_34a202831b_b.jpg

@Stuge: I hope you are using a SLR camera. I like that monsoon magic strip. BTW, I saw your posting in previous threads stating 101 sec exposure. nearly 2 minutes! whats the maximum limit in SLR cameras. I have only maximum 15 seconds

Usually there is no limit .exposure can be as long as battery lasts .Camera like Nikon d40,d60 and I guess even D3100 has a limit of 30 min per exposure .

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
^^ we also have a bulb mode when we can keep the shutter open as long as we keep the click button pressed... so technically there is no max limit.

Sounava

In the zone
@ stuge: Do have any idea about the vanguard tripod link I gave above? Will it be a good buy?

And yes the bigger image looks much nice :)

And even in D40, D60, D3100 there is no upper limit to how long the shutter can stay open.

toofan

Technomancer
Sujoy: highlights are harsh. Keep trying.

For your C & C .
Continuation form last series. got this yesterday. Thanks.
*farm6.static.flickr.com/5271/5884345359_49e861ef93_z.jpg
_DSC8687 by toofan.v, on Flickr

This what I shot later, a bit simple.
*farm7.static.flickr.com/6053/5889686596_ba23303d73.jpg
_DSC8632 by toofan.v, on Flickr

power_8383

Eager to learn.
@toofan...I am not the best person to comment on ur abstracts but still..

I liked the 1st pink one coz its slight in focus...colours r looking great

2nd one I like around the base of the flower...its looking good there..

other two it seems out of focus or something is wrong.

+ 1
I agree.

@ sujoyp

For 1.2kg, Manfrotto Modo 785B would be a very good choice.
Manfrotto says it can support 1kg weight, but some people are using this tripod for their SLRs without any problem.

Even I have this tripod, and I must say I'm loving it. (But I use Pana FZ18)
Its very lightweight, hence very easy to carry.

Top Bottom