The Photography Thread

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
52MM CLOSE UP LENS+ND+CPL FILTER KIT 4 PANASONIC FZ100 | eBay

is this good or i can get a better deal elsewhere. I have no idea about the same. I own a panasonic FZ100. Presently i am in bangalore

sujoyp

Grand Master
y do you want one of those...ur FZ100 must have 4mm macro distance and bigg zoom...if u want ND and CPL filters get it from good brand..

getting it from poor brand will make the pics blurry/hazy ..

remember using these may substantially derease the pic quality

Sounava

In the zone
Using a makeshift light tent kinda thing :razz:

*farm6.static.flickr.com/5022/5793132164_3701916a26_z.jpg
Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8D by Sounava, on Flickr

Last edited:

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
y do you want one of those...ur FZ100 must have 4mm macro distance and bigg zoom...if u want ND and CPL filters get it from good brand..

getting it from poor brand will make the pics blurry/hazy ..

remember using these may substantially derease the pic quality

can u suggest some brands and the price?

jagg89

RoCk N' RoLL
@sujoyp nice pics!

@Stuge awesome as always :)

@Sounava Nice work man!

@shwetanshu
i bought a Marumi CPL for my FZ35 few months back.. its pretty good.. i think i got it for around Rs.1100-1200.. i dont remember the exact price.. do check the thread size of your lens... mine has a unusual size of 46mm had to buy a 46-52mm conversion ring for using the filter.. dont knw what size is fz100..

kjuvale

Pharmaguru
@Stuge: amazing pics
@Sounava: nice work. and @Sujoyp: love that light effect pic.

Just one question,now that new Nikkor AFS 50mm 1.8g is launched (~200€) and 35mm 1.8g costs same, I was thinking to get one of these. Need suggestion for which lens I should go for, 35mm or 50mm? I would like to shoot outdoor as well as thinking for portraits too. I read that 50mm is great portrait lens, but for outdoor its little tele. So not able to decide :(

sujoyp

Grand Master
I found 50mm a bit too much for potraits....If i was to judge I would get 35mm

With 50mm I am not even able to take head to foot pic from 3-4 feet:sad:

BTW thanks for liking my pic :)

Sounava

In the zone
@Sounava...great work...the lighting look superb...

@Sounava: nice work

Just one question,now that new Nikkor AFS 50mm 1.8g is launched (~200€) and 35mm 1.8g costs same, I was thinking to get one of these. Need suggestion for which lens I should go for, 35mm or 50mm? I would like to shoot outdoor as well as thinking for portraits too. I read that 50mm is great portrait lens, but for outdoor its little tele. So not able to decide :(

About 35mm f/1.8 vs 50mm f/1.8: You will have to decide yourself which lens you want to go for. I am writing the general guidelines regarding the lenses, you ultimately decide what you want.

First of all, I assume you already have a kit less (18-55mm). So both 35mm and 50mm are covered by that lens. So there must be reasons to go for these primes right? The reasons are: Sharper images, nice bokeh, and the aperture. Now coming to the aperture: How does an aperture of f/1.8 help?
1. When you compose an image and press the shutter button to autofocus, the lens always stays wide open at f/1.8. The large opening implies that more light is falling on the mirror and getting reflected to the autofocus module. So you will get amazingly fast focus even in low light, where as the kit lens will struggle to get autofocus because the lenses will be open @ say f/4.5 at 35mm and f/5.6 at 50mm.
2. When you want to blur the backgrounds nicely and want shallow depth of field effect, you can use wide apertures which was not possible with the kit lenses.
3. Larger aperture means you can use fast shutter speeds to get the same equivalent exposure than would have been possible to get with a kit lens. So, in low light situations, you can simply use a larger aperture and you don't need to crank the ISO up.

Now you need to decide what you want:
Keeping the above said things in mind, a 35mm f/1.8 will give you a "normal" field of view of 52mm and will become an excellent indoor lens. Think of birthday parties and gatherings. It will of course be useful for outdoors too. But portraits (like headshots, shots from the bust up) are not possible in general.

50mm lens will give you an equivalent field of view of 75mm which is very near to the ideal portrait length of 85mm. When you will take portraits with this lens at say 1.8, you will get amazingly blurred backgrounds and the attention will be drawn to the face.

So decide whether you want an all purpose lens or a portrait lens. If I were you I would have gone for the 35mm f/1.8. Infact that is the main reason why I bought the cheap 50mm non focus motor version @ 5.4k. When I need to shoot portraits I can live with manual focussing. I do not see myself spending 12k just for taking portraits. 35mm f/1.8 will come to more you to me atleast and is really worth the 12k. Note that the new 50mm f/1.8 is an FX lens and full frame users will buy this lens for the same reason you will buy the 35mm f/1.8.

Also, although the 35mm f/1.8 is an DX lens, with an exception you will get excellent corner to corner sharpness with this lens because the image circle cast by this lens is large enough to be even used with FX bodies with almost negligible vignetting.

does the d5100 have a built in Intervalometer ???
if not how else do you take time lapse shots
can you please post a guide or tutorial
or atleast a link to it ;-)

sujoyp

Grand Master
@Sounava...I tried ur idea with 50mm+ET but still the DOF is very thin its not possible to get full image in focus...
Then I took the pic with 50mm directly..pic was sharp but didnt look soo beautiful

1st with 50mm+macro

*lh4.googleusercontent.com/-T3j--M3PaIs/TepOSm1P1bI/AAAAAAAAGP4/MRxd_sHR4h0/s800/DSC_3769.JPG

2nd with 50mm 1.8

*lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ONw8CEXBQqA/TeqBFCEDXUI/AAAAAAAAGQM/IcvBubcEEdg/s800/DSC_3782.JPG

both are unedited image ,50mm pic was cropped from top, 50mm+ET is not cropped

Sounava

In the zone
At what aperture did you shoot for the pic with ET? Also, the image perspective is little tilted. Try taking vertically from top. Usually a place remains in focus so if the feather is in one plane, it is supposed to remain in focus.

Btw, somehow this new attempted picture looks nicer than the previous attempt. :)

Another thing, can you see you eBay purchase history and give me the link of the eBay seller from whom you bought the ET?

Last edited:

kjuvale

Pharmaguru
@Sounava: Thanks a lot for detailed information, very useful. Most probably I will go for 35mm 1.8G. And yes right now I am using kit lens 18-55mm.

here is one Photo I took in one village Bad Münstereifel.
*farm3.static.flickr.com/2362/5797375503_002ddf3019_z.jpg
Bad Münstereifel Rathaus by digitman2006, on Flickr

msn

खिड़की माने Windows
Here are couple of pics from me..!!

HDR Image -

*lh5.googleusercontent.com/-mvCIiyUPSFc/Teqpv9Cva7I/AAAAAAAAAQ0/8MseD6nckhQ/s400/Hdr_my_locality.jpg

*lh5.googleusercontent.com/-zLS3qFFMMds/TeqpvallffI/AAAAAAAAAQ0/KXxRI6BH5w0/s400/3364856287_ea76257995_z.jpg

*lh3.googleusercontent.com/-PT6ied68OKg/Teqpv5klmQI/AAAAAAAAAQ0/kQU0mFvcrB0/s400/mysore-palace.jpg

Last edited:

Sounava

In the zone
@Sounava: Thanks a lot for detailed information, very useful. Most probably I will go for 35mm 1.8G. And yes right now I am using kit lens 18-55mm.
You are welcome. I saw your photos in flickr. You can also consider saving up and buy an ultra wide angle lens after sometime, like the Sigma 10-20 variable aperture or the Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 because from the kind of photos I saw you have taken, I think you will really benefit from an ultra wide angle lens and will fall in love with it.

sujoyp

Grand Master
@msn post bigger images please...nice shots:razz:

@sounava....I think I took it at f8 this time...but frankly I would say u try to use it once u will know whats the problem

The problem actually is thin focus area and focus distance is 3 inches...It just wont have whole thing in focus...but yes we can crop it..

when we try to take pic of an insect its not that we want to blurr the body and keep the eyes sharp but its just the focus area is soo thin that either we can keep the eyes in focus or the body....both can only be kept in focus if insect is very small like a mosquito

Ex - *lh4.googleusercontent.com/-zFYIeBGXGz0/Ter7EZ5wsWI/AAAAAAAAGQw/OfB2xYGKY9U/s640/DSC_1463.jpg

If whole thing is to be kept sharp then consider macro lens:smile:

And it was not a photographic shot but just a test soo tilt is ok

My morning catch :)
*lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4OWF-E5DuS0/Ter664HBsbI/AAAAAAAAGQo/xpba0nr7enA/s640/DSC_3815.JPG

2nd pic is soo beautiful...I love it
*lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Tb9MEVkw-Y4/Ter7BlnJ65I/AAAAAAAAGQs/x6snKq6SBaQ/s800/DSC_3823.JPG

Last edited:

jagg89

RoCk N' RoLL
@kjuvale nice.. i think you should try some HDR's its a beautiful place with great architecture!

@msn Nice shots! would love to see them in bigger size..

@sujoy
when we try to take pic of an insect its not that we want to blurr the body and keep the eyes sharp but its just the focus area is soo thin that either we can keep the eyes in focus or the body....both can only be kept in focus if insect is very small like a mosquito
you can try focus stacking.. i have not tried it myself though but have seen some amazing results. just search it.. but i think it will be very difficult to achieve especially with insects as they move so quickly..

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
@sujoy

you can try focus stacking.. i have not tried it myself though but have seen some amazing results. just search it.. but i think it will be very difficult to achieve especially with insects as they move so quickly..

I know focus stacking...saw toofans pic...its a great technique...will see:razz:

Top Bottom