The Photography Thread

sujoyp

Grand Master
Just last question....Y do superzooms costing 14k have 24x zoom and for SLR we have to spare 25k+ for just lens ??

@coolG5....I have already started all these :mrgreen:.. but good article

OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone
@cool nice article..
How about writing one for starters like me?
people like me usually don't know much basics of photography, about their camera and Post processing. For me, i know i am moving ahead, but its random.. i take a step when i see an opportunity.

An article from experienced lot like you can surely advice precisely how,what and why one should do to reach a basic level of competence, beyond which only his creativity can guide him.

chitvan

Journeyman
I cldn't wait myself. Here are the (unedited) snaps

The lamp was modified with cellotape layers on the inside walls for better reflection.
probably without this modification, brightness would have been even lower.

Also, comparing from old image, a single candle illuminates just half the book.
A perfect pic can be when i put the lamp at the end of wall with full view of unrestricted spread of light.

If i require to shoot a shadow,depending on size of object.. i will require more than one candle for better composition.

Will appreciate some analysis,improvement ideas from your end.

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

@sujyop the kind of image link you posted... i guess it will require better (clean) setup.. will try them later
i understand what problem u faced...
whenever u use longer exposure candle light will come toooo bright....
& if u use little shorter exposure then it will come underexposed image...

its bcoz u need to use some other light source...like keep on night lamp...
what do u think....sujyop had posted links are not result of only candel`s light....
there is another light source too...

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@INS-ANI - Thanks. I do take extra care to see that even newbies can understand what I write & talk in the photography articles. I avoid jargon most of times & stick to simple no fuss language. Meanwhile INS-ANI check out the photography section on my site, it has lots of article which can help you. Morever I'm in process of writing a photography ebook which will contain shooting in AUTO, MANUAL, Post-Processing & many more. But you need to wait for that since being a one man army it will take time.

@sujoy - First of all you won't likely get a 24x zoom non-dslr within 14K(If yes point that out). They come atleast at Rs.20K+. Regarding DSLR lenses being expensive, these lens are made from high quality glass which is needed to give you ultra sharp pictures. Also some dslr zoom lens have a fixed aperture i.e 70-300mm f4.0. This means the aperture will remain f4.0 throughout the zooming range of 70-300. Such lenses cost a bomb & are generally preferred by professionals who demand more. Also the lens are protected using high grade chemicals coat over them which reduces glare & light reflections as it enters through the lens. Our normal zoom lens of prosumer cameras will not have coating of such a high grade. Then there are other lens phenomenon like distortion, purple fringing, end to end sharpness etc which are well controlled by DSLR lenses but not by the tiny zoom lens on your prosumer. All these make them so costly.

chitvan

Journeyman
@sujoyp,
@INS-ANI,
Thanks for liking my pics....

here are some more pics from my second trip,Jami Masjid,Ahmedabad.

*images.orkut.com/orkut/photos/OgAAAKDc531EMOe8GENjR1QhxESKYOHxrdipLGzJEWEJTTDhY_TopJOfvD8SmZowRs78paxqoDXJnVR6Fz1cq0cEjFgAm1T1UDVZXk4ayZyGEwqz9E2OSdf613gB.jpg
_________
*images.orkut.com/orkut/photos/OgAAAOMPEnmwEQ3L-tQwG1k_ZjdP5FtbC3GCcxgUy6pcUonldeXWYla8fYyQXBMa89hUR_SCtS8hDpW1lehpY6YLPAUAm1T1UCAh_3k6rxDU_F3ZcH6bMA-X9giJ.jpg
_________
*images.orkut.com/orkut/photos/OgAAAGFvCtUNEld6nGqOJ5z0kJUICpit0lREaiPm6Gni3JTN-Y23BSLhd0x5QpTOVj_3JogsbZcDWwVikegSw7UT1p4Am1T1UJtI3iQ3WJdVJSJ8DQ5V5TRVWkG5.jpg
_________
*images.orkut.com/orkut/photos/OgAAACikKtc_8n6WZn0EvxL5fy4we5qcb5sNUsjI25DB24d9o4FCDe76QCMAmuWZqXAZ6hP6d4YPUfd7YiKeo6Ee5KQAm1T1UHRX6aOxj6wRWconG8pvXLPWXsHx.jpg
_________

OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone
@chitvan
Thanks for the analysis. Actually, as i am using an automatic Camera(DS-W210), the candle is the only thing i can control.
However, the snaps without direct candle light gives the desired look.
see this image:
*lh6.ggpht.com/_FszDxDFtyog/S_V2-SbHivI/AAAAAAAAApA/UyX5TMnLY9E/DSC01801%20%5B%5D.JPG
and the below is same one, but photoshopped :)
*lh5.ggpht.com/_FszDxDFtyog/S_ZSCwYvH_I/AAAAAAAAArQ/vBrO90zY3GE/DSC018011%20%5B%5D.jpg

Do you think a masked candle(with semi transparent film) will help.
The requirement i can think of is a setup like this:
*lh3.ggpht.com/_FszDxDFtyog/S_lqz21qScI/AAAAAAAAAuw/JGrUgZWe2AY/s512/candle%20setup.JPG
The Candle C is a low intensity light, where as A and B are bright light, but not directed to Camera lens. A series of permutations and combination of position of A and B may give the desired result.

Would appreciate your feedback regarding the same.

OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone
@cool.. can i prebook your ebook? :) .
have seen your site and saved your articles (without your consent :) )to read them in holidays.
Beside: if i manage to complete my research in holidays(especially the candle one :) ), i may start a blog for noobs like me.

@chirag
Image 2 and 4: WOW!!!
May i suggest some more ideas like image 2, how about image of same child on a busy street (like vegetable market, with crowded background) and long exposure shot.
its kind of similar market shot you posted before.

and about image 4, can you please remove the mobile tower..
also,can you share you took the shot? Is it processed?

sujoyp

Grand Master
@coolG5...I was talking about Nikon p90 which have 24x zoom and is selling for 15k...Thanks for the explanation...

@ Chitvan...ur 2nd pic looks soo natural...good shot

chitvan

Journeyman
@chirag
Image 2 and 4: WOW!!!
May i suggest some more ideas like image 2, how about image of same child on a busy street (like vegetable market, with crowded background) and long exposure shot.
its kind of similar market shot you posted before.

and about image 4, can you please remove the mobile tower..
also,can you share you took the shot? Is it processed?
yes....you can suggest your ideas..
yup you are right........busy street got more motion blur...and it adds more life to pic...
i knew it...but street was empty at 11:00am....and actually our main target is to visit Jami Masjid...
our next trip will surely be for Street Photography....but not soon....as Summer Ruined all the things...

its like Photojournalism work...that tower shows how our Gov don`t care of heritage like places & give license to mobile Co.....
even that building on which tower was built is more than 100 years old...

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

More shots from same trip

*images.orkut.com/orkut/photos/OQAAAEC3W2qrEEu0gkEbE40cpTxRP4uPrKtVDSkPQ9Ki22e6b23Y4V6GkXJYfoi40h31zLIjpSzgvR-7j7IWEO9kc5wAm1T1UAtQtx8fZxev2HDqzq9pH4MXB1zy.jpg
_________
*images.orkut.com/orkut/photos/OgAAADXqa2GKbY5ZfWmqj9nAuSSPUkl6RiXRQQheqA9kshLIyymmA1LbOvBUDD5KBNR7l5zZEvtaGr5g1IGX9XbHJwgAm1T1UNg1kZ5KGnMcINE2il5rODVWnSO2.jpg
_________
*images.orkut.com/orkut/photos/OQAAAKKx4Bdlwwrqp-L1_odosgoR4N-jVWs-sK9yzWSHhkrX_CVc8S-p_-rO2Qk4b4tX5l-8e-Oi9MvzrBlUVfEJthYAm1T1UFYJ7OX-Pl4GuqJ8e46q6tp8nJd_.jpg
_________
*images.orkut.com/orkut/photos/OgAAAMN-hqpBJuA0ssvbLXuMYsqsPdvkYkQQoQ9DoRN7YXzatCL1LYZ1zmHCWlQefmDYvqFAw8YoX6g8PUciXsoZay8Am1T1UG_NlRZl697UZxwh5PV5YXDUXfhM.jpg
_________

toofan

Technomancer
Chitvan: Some awesome photographs from you. Why not you go for a dslr you badly need that if you don't have it yet.
This will only add more to your skills.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@chirag - Nice pics.

@INS-ANI - No worries in saving until & unless you post them somewhere without giving credit to me :mad: Don't worry, the ebook will most probably be released for free under creative commons licence. :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
*lh3.ggpht.com/_9a5lKZR2-08/S_oiR4oFpbI/AAAAAAAAFNU/yZltLUUa7uE/s800/DSC03944.JPG
I tried to increase the exposure and sharpness of the pic..these little devils dont give much chance to take snaps
*lh4.ggpht.com/_9a5lKZR2-08/S_ojSzqCkUI/AAAAAAAAFNc/Jp46xL2acgs/s800/DSC03948.JPG

Actually I tried some horror style but couldnt yet get it.
Some samples
*lh5.ggpht.com/_9a5lKZR2-08/S_olRy4reyI/AAAAAAAAFOQ/-S7MZkmlPtk/s288/DSC039471.JPG*lh3.ggpht.com/_9a5lKZR2-08/S_olSEYUFQI/AAAAAAAAFOU/SqEeAgdys7M/s288/DSC03950.JPG
*lh3.ggpht.com/_9a5lKZR2-08/S_olSkQCJ2I/AAAAAAAAFOY/3MVvNgwYF1E/s288/DSC03956.JPG

OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone
@Sujyop.. Image 1, Perfect soulmate for your avatar.
The first candle image looks great. Try this..
put some prop (or anything worth putting) and light two candles. Keep one in frame and one on left(out of frame). Take a snap (snap1) .
Then repeat the same process with now the candle on right and take a snap (snap2).. photoshop them and you will have a decent image w/o much exposure.
(Atleast try it for me :) )

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

Also..

can u try this
*quain.org/Gallery4/candle.jpg

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@sujoy - Maybe you could have tried to include the iron bar to aid composition. Similarly the red candle pic is good but can be better. Wait let me try some candle photography. This is an aspect I've never discovered. Goes to search some candles. :D

sujoyp

Grand Master
@cool G5...I am searching for new ideas with candle...INS-INI gave good idea..but no tank at my house...lets see if its possible

The original cat pic looked like this
*lh3.ggpht.com/_9a5lKZR2-08/S_pRCVszQjI/AAAAAAAAFO4/n7Lezf7RBE0/s400/DSC039441111.jpg
how could i use the iron rod for composition??

Top Bottom