The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
So is Steve Job's keynote confirmed on Let's Rock ?? And why is there no discussion on that thing here ??

*img225.imageshack.us/img225/53/picture31xe6.jpg

Poor Me :-(

Tanmay

Journeyman
Nano 4G, iTunes 8, iTouch 2G.....wondering how the new iTouch will look like, hope it doesn't have the plastic back like iPhone....5 more days...

superczar

-n00b-
@Superczar,Congo!!! And welcome to the Mac-Users Club.

I've been a mac user for a long while now, first with a Mini since 2005 then the iPhone since '07 (ok, not really OS X, but at least a subset of it)

As for the plastic, cant really say for sure if it'll hold up well, but overall, the machine seems pretty well built-- The keyboard is lovely though the touchpad could have been better

the thing cost me 54400 after a student discount (am not a student but wth) and after taxes

yash

I draw every day
September 9th can't come soon enough! I want lower prices for the higher capacity ipod touches. pleeeez? :'(

goobimama

 Macboy
This sucks actually. Knowing what's gonna come out. I wish the events were a total secret. Kevin Rose should be beaten down with a wooden cooking spoon.

superczar

-n00b-
Yesterday, I forgot to shutdown my Macbook before leaving for office
While going out, I switched off the plugpoint

When I came back in the evening, I opened the lid and the OS sprang back in a second which is when I realized I had left it on

Thats when I noticed the remaining battery percentage

Guess how much could it be?

98%

superczar

-n00b-
98 friggin % :eek:
Having been used to Windows lappies all the time, it was a very very pleasant surprise
Try doing that on a Dell/Vaio/Lenovo/what have you and I'd be surprised to see the bettery anywhere above 75 if not less

I guess no more shutdown/hibernate for me unless I don't intend to use the machien for several days at a stretch

cooldudie3

Boom Boom Boom
^^ That's mac.
Man is that Macbook box small. My mac came in a box that is is sort of big. Though I love how neat they put your stuff.

goobimama

 Macboy
Yesterday, I forgot to shutdown my Macbook before leaving for office
While going out, I switched off the plugpoint

When I came back in the evening, I opened the lid and the OS sprang back in a second which is when I realized I had left it on

Thats when I noticed the remaining battery percentage

Guess how much could it be?

98%
FYI you don't ever need to shut down your mac. Just put it to sleep. It uses somewhere around 2 watts of power while in sleep mode so yes, 98% is quite normal.

We had once gone on a trip somewhere, and by mistake the iBook was left on (sleep mode). Ten days later when we came back the battery was still juicing at 12% :)

^^ That's mac.
Man is that Macbook box small. My mac came in a box that is is sort of big. Though I love how neat they put your stuff.
You should see the MacBook Air box!

Last edited:

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Arey yaar hadd ho gayi! Now Aayush will come and say "I had gone out for 1 year and left my MacBook Pro ON at home and then came back and saw it was still 5 friggin' %!!! All hail Apple! I love you Steve Jobs!" or something to that effect. :lol:

How often should I shut my MacBook down?
Is there any such limit, which I should probably observe to maintain its health?

What would happen if the battery completely drains out while the Mac is 'sleeping'?

All that sounds "Windoze-ish" but I'm just curious to know.

Last edited:

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
^^^ you will absolutely never need to shutdown your Mac ever, unless ofcourse if you are part of the Go Green Revolution, which I guess everyone should be. You can shutdown your mac if you know that you will not use it for a few days.

If the battery drains out completely when Mac is sleeping you only need to put the MagSafe power adapter in the ac socket and push the power button on your Mac, it will restart.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
the thing cost me 54400 after a student discount (am not a student but wth) and after taxes
And it’s the second model, the one with the SuperDrive.

As for the battery, I never shut down my MacBook Pro. Ever. Except for the occasional restart when an update requires it (and it’s a right PITA too).

When a Mac goes to sleep, it hardly uses any battery at all. You can have it in sleep mode for at least a week before it completely drains of power. And even if it does, you just connect the MagSafe connector to it and it springs back to life within seconds. If not, press the power button and it will resume from deep sleep mode, which is like the hibernation thing on Windows. In either case, it’s 100% reliable, much faster than having to restart the machine, and you never lose anything.

I’ve always been advising new Mac users to stop shutting down their Macs and start putting it to sleep instead. It isn’t bad for the battery. Don’t worry. :)

yash

I draw every day
Well, just so you know, if you have an external drive plugged into your laptop, it will drain the battery much faster. a lot of cheapo drive enclosures don't spin down the hard drive when its not being used.