The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Aayush update the first post please with newer pictures of the iPods. And your avatar image is a bit too compressed.

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
Wow the first page is awe-f***ing-some!! You need to make one more change in the first page.. its my Birthday folks!!
Happy Birthday to me... its party time you got a biggest cake for you!!

*img68.imageshack.us/img68/4003/cakest4.jpg

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Happy birthday Azeem a.k.a. jamesbond007.

@aryayush: Why no Classic in the line-up or is my net connection also selective about Apple now?

dinesh72

Journeyman
Happy B'day Azeem.

Now that we are again talking about first page, please update my profile to these details

Name: Dinesh Nandoskar
Twitter: N/A
iChat:
Macs: 15″ MacBook Pro (2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM), 24" iMac (2.66GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 320 GB HDD)
Favourite application: iTunes
iPhone: No
iPod: 80GB iPod, 16 GB iPod Touch.
Other Apple stuff: TC 500 GB, Airport Express, Wireless Mightymouse.
Apple stuff you’d like to own: iPhone and iPod touch of higher capacity.

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
I'm puzzled as to why the Classic didn't get the new UI and the Genius feature. Seems really weird to have two different UIs for the same iPod type.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
I'm puzzled as to why the Classic didn't get the new UI and the Genius feature. Seems really weird to have two different UIs for the same iPod type.

I think Apple is purposely ignoring it. Maybe they are thinking of discontinuing it and focus on just the flash based players. Classic is the only hard drive based iPod now. Apple did dump the floppy drives for the disk drives (they did, didn't they? :confused: ). So now I guess they are probably thinking of dumping the hard drive based Classic and having an iPod range that just consists of the flash players. Flash drives would also be cheaper by then so we may see 64gb or 128gb Touch's replacing it. Well that's what I think anyway.

BTW, isn't it time we have a new poll for this thread. Maybe one based on the newly launched Nano or the iTunes 8?

yash

I draw every day
Yeah, only place to go from 32 gig is 64 gig. It might take some time, but when it happens, it should be more than sufficient for most people. people who were buying 80 gig classics until a few days ago will buy the 64 gig version.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Apple has a policy of never showing love to the previous iterations of their products. 5G; 5.5G don't have iTunes movie rentals till now and won't be having that in the near future.

goobimama

 Macboy
Well apparently the Classic gets the Genius features (free upgrade for previous users) as well. Just not the new darker UI.

Apple has a policy of never showing love to the previous iterations of their products. 5G; 5.5G don't have iTunes movie rentals till now and won't be having that in the near future.
It is a hardware feature of the iPod Classic that allows it to play movies. DRM plays a big role here.

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
True, but from what I see, 1.3 is still the latest firmware for 5G whichmeans no genius (if it is a iPod feature), 5G did not even get the use-less Search feature of 5.5G even after 6G came into existence.

yash

I draw every day
okay, seriously, this happened again! I downloaded high def episode from itunes, and I know it downloads one high def version and one SD version file. But, when I try to play the high def file, itunes says it can't find it. there's an exclamation mark next to it. So I ended up watching the SD version. But why is this happening? any fixes?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Man, I seriously have no clue what’s up. Did you upgrade to QuickTime 7.5.5?

Well apparently the Classic gets the Genius features (free upgrade for previous users) as well. Just not the new darker UI.
In case you haven’t noticed, it has a horizontal screen, as opposed to the iPod nano’s vertical one. The iPod nano only sports a different interface because that other one wouldn’t have worked on it and going back to the old iPod UI would’ve been stupid. I kinda like it right now—each iPod has a different interface that is sort of its identity but if you get the hang of one, you can pretty much use them all without any issues.

cooldudie3

Boom Boom Boom
^ Nice reasoning. It makes sense. In the iPod Nano, there is the preview at the bottom in the menus. If you put the previews at the bottom of the iPod Classic, the menus would be really small. Though they could also switch over the new music player.

goobimama

 Macboy
I'm not saying the exact same UI be copy pasted. The previews are at the bottom for good reason. With the Classic, they could be left at the side as they are now. I'm just saying the same menu styles, the full screen album artwork, and the dark grey look to it could have very well been implemented with the Classic.

Top Bottom