The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

goobimama

 Macboy
^^ Not necessarily. If the device insists on drawing power. Not sure if they can draw full power, but some power is definitely passed through. Case to point: the mouse (and my wacom tablet light continues to glow), the ports will continue to power the device. Especially those cheap external drives. (but why would you use a cheap-azz external drive with your mac anyway?)

yash

I draw every day
when you have friends who use windows and have bought a local drive enclosure and slipped in a laptop drive in it, you can't help it.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
At least my LaCie used to get powered down and the status light used to get turned off when I put my MacBook Pro to sleep. Ditto for the iPhone (though I wish it didn’t do that).

yash

I draw every day
wacom tablet light still glows. Lacie D2 quadra external drive is powered off of ac adapter so it doesn't matter either way. I have it connected via firewire 800 and when i put laptop to sleep or shut it down, the blue light doesn't always turn off.

Yes, same thing here. External HDD enclosure, iPhone and USB Mouse all get powered down.
Here,the iPhone keeps on charging when plugged into the iMac but USB mouse powers down.

Heyy guys I plan to buy an external DVD-Writer for my MacBook, I need a brand suggestion, I will be buying this weekend.
My Dad's got this one.
Sony one's are quite stylish and work splendidly.You might want to get one of those.

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
@Sunny

Wow that DVD Burner looks fantastic but are you sure it works with Macs coz its clearly mentioned 'Multi format DVD Burner for Windows Vista/XP/2000. External Drives/Burners should work with any OS but just in case...

superczar

-n00b-
Any standard external USB drives will work with OS X
It will work without a hitch

By the way I am going to start a weekly backup routing on my MB, but on a NAS drive instead of an external USB drive as Apple recommends

*forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=153920

Wish me luck fellas...

BTW my network is now a total mess with so many differing filesystems on so many different systems that it's a nightmare trying to make all of 'em play nice with each other

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
For a Mac I think Firewire drives are much better than USB. If I am not wrong, WD had come out with a for-Mac range.

goobimama

 Macboy
^^ Note that they are talking about a DVD burner and not a hard drive. Yes, Firewire is better cause it can sustain high speeds while USB will drop now and then.

And what's this about Firewire is better on the Mac. Its better everywhere. Just that most PCs don't come with Firewire built in.

yash

I draw every day
damn! I got an appointment in college at 12:50 pm that's in one hour 40 minutes from now. So I guess I'll miss some of the event. :(

yash

I draw every day
Luckily, I got to my computer and connected just in time. It was a little disappointing tho.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
5th September 2007

the new nano ... adnan sami goes thin ... the nano goes fat ...

*gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/09/IMG_1724.jpg

images courtesy gizmodo

What's this I hear about the Nano going fat? It is smaller in almost every dimension - it is thinner, lighter and smaller. Only the width is slightly more to accommodate the larger screen.

So what is everyone cribbing about!

9th September 2008:

*cache.gizmodo.com/assets/ipodletsrock/ipodletsrock42.jpg

:D

yash

I draw every day
@aayush: by it I meant the keynote. but yeah, work on the live chat too. One question, what should I get engraved on my new ipod?

Top Bottom