The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
Hey guys, my macbook pro running leopard works properly only when I boot into safe mode guest account. When I boot into my user, the finder doesn't show up and can't run any applications. Last thing I did was install HP 1200 series driver/scanner utility. Please help me.

PSC 1210 ?
that did the same to me once

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Considering that we don't have a Microsoft Windows thread I thought of posting this here :D

So, this afternoon, I'm in the Microsoft booth at Black Hat when this guy comes up (badge hidden of course) and starts talking to some of my colleagues. Right away, it was pretty obvious that he was antagonistic. I will refer to him as "h8er" from here on out. Though I am paraphrasing a bit, this is based upon a true story. It gave me a chuckle, so I thought I'd share.

h8er: So, how does it feel to work for a company that has made so many bad security decisions.

MSFT guy: Well, I feel lucky to be in a position to try and influence good security decisions going forward - are there any specifics you want to give me feedback on?

h8er: All those prompts irritating people, for example.

MSFT guy: Oh, so you don't like that aspect of UAC. We've gotten a lot of feedback on that, but the UAC security changes in Windows Vista encompass a pretty wide range of options designed to make it easier for most users to run as non-admin. Plus, we've incorporated some of the feedback into SP1 and I think it is a lot better. Have you tried SP1?

h8er: <crickets chirping in the silence>
[...] Continue Reading ...

PS: Funny read. :D

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Oh, I’d have given him much better replies, I’m sure (although I never would’ve tried to match wits with a developer of any platform).

NikhilVerma

Padawan
I didn't RTFT ... Just dropping my 2 lines ... I installed mac on an external HDD on my laptop ... and I was simply blown away by the simplicity and the fluency of the OS :) ... ( And that too when I couldn't find drivers for my card 7600Go and had to run without Quartz and the other feature ) ... Had to format my HDD for a reason but gonna install it again :D ... just waiting for all the drivers to come up ...

And btw I just love the font rendering of Safari Browser on my windows ... the fonts are amazingly smooth ... wish other browser anti-aliased that well

^^
Illegal stuff not allowed.Better keep such posts away.
It's nice you liked Mac OS X but you might get banned for this post of yours.

@Aayush,Do you,by any chance,use your mac in the same room where Time Capsule is?

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Illegal stuff not allowed.Better keep such posts away.
It's nice you liked Mac OS X but you might get banned for this post of yours.
There’s nothing wrong with discussing Mac OS X. Chill.

@Aayush,Do you,by any chance,use your mac in the same room where Time Capsule is?
On the same floor, yes, but not in the same room. I’m buying an AirPort Express to extend the network to the second floor too. I hope that will be the end of it.

I was simply blown away by the simplicity and the fluency of the OS :)
Yeah, we get that a lot. Tell us something we don’t know. :p

So,why do I face drops in internet speeds while backing up?Nothing seems to help me.There are 2 WiFi networks in my house.Can this be the issue?
Or What?I'm screwed up.
Hey Aayush,do a 'backup now' and then check your speeds and tell me if the same problems persists or not.Please.

goobimama

 Macboy
I curse the day Steve Jobs introduced the Time Machine.

On a more happy note, its our resident Macboy's birthday today. So all of you rock your heads, to the newest 22 year old in town, Darky aka Dark Lord aka and this is a big aka, Preshit! Happy birthday dude.

yash

I draw every day
uh.. actually, getting the scanner to work on leopard is the least of my problems. I want to be able to sign into my user account and be able to use my mac properly. Hp 1210 can suck it!

on other notes, I just saw the itunes india app store, and prices are in dollars.. WTF?

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
goobimama said:
On a more happy note, its our resident Macboy's birthday today. So all of you rock your heads, to the newest 22 year old in town, Darky aka Dark Lord aka and this is a big aka, Preshit! Happy birthday dude.

Oh the Dark Lord is Preshit !! Does he use two accounts ?? Thats a news for me.
Anyways Happy Birthday to Darky aka Dark Lord aka Preshit :)

And btw whats you problem with TC, Mr Green Goobi ??

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Knew all of em but the 'taking the sim out thing'.
I knew them all too, including the ones in the previous list. And taking the SIM out is the dumbest suggestion I’ve ever heard. What’s wrong with simply putting it into Airplane mode?

@Aayush,bhai kuch help kar do.Time Capsule is really pi$$ing me off!
I’m at a loss here. What am I supposed to say? Maybe my speeds aren’t affected because I only have a 512Kbps bandwidth.

----------------------------------

Check out Aqua Taskforce if Mac OS X has been bugging you lately
Posted Aug. 11, ’08, 10:00 AM PT by Aayush Arya

After having had a successful run with Aero Taskforce, Long Zheng, the creator, has decided to shower some attention on the Mac OS X and Aqua side of things. His new website, Aqua Taskforce, aims to shed some light on the various user interface quirks and inconsistencies in Mac OS X.

What, you say, inconsistencies and “quirks” in Mac OS X and its venerable Aqua interface? Blasphemy! Well, just put away the pitchforks for a moment or two and reflect on it—how many times have you tried to do something on Mac OS X and realized that the OS requires you to bend over backwards to accomplish it? How many times have you moaned the lack of the Cut option in the Finder? Read more…

[Via MacUser]

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Congratulations Apple, you made the iPhone less stable than Windows Mobile

I know that we have been clamoring for 3rd party applications on the iPhone and there are some awesome applications available (and some really stupid ones). However, the stable days of pre-iPhone 2.0 may be gone forever and Jobs may not like the can of worms that he has opened up. It is particularly a shame when the native applications on the device can’t even perform reliably and I just have to keep remembering this is the early days of the iPhone and I suppose it is similar to the early days of the Pocket PC when stability was also an issue. I did cut Microsoft and Nokia a break back then when they were starting out and I’ll keep using my original iPhone because I do think that many of the applications are useful and well designed and we will see lots more coming from developers. I expected Apple to have a better product with this second generation of iPhone though and have been disappointed with its performance.

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
I am well aware of the MobileMe hiccups but I never read anyone mentioning this: I am unable to send attachments via the web interface. Even if I attach a smallest of the small file, the file uploading takes ages ... As of now I've never been able to send an email with attachment with the MobileMe web interface. Am I alone or is it that no one mentioned this !!

aryayush said:
How many times have you moaned the lack of the Cut option in the Finder? Read more…

I didn't, in fact I got used to the fact that there is no meaning to Cmd + X in Finder. I don't miss it as I make heavy use of a combination of 'Clipboard' and 'Shelf' in QuickSilver. For those of you who have taken to Spotlight giving up on QS should know that these are the instances that QS kicks ass.
I hope some of the new comers to this thread know about Clipboard and Shelf in QS, in case you don't head on to BlackTree...

Last edited:

dinesh72

Journeyman
I can not forward mails with attachments. They just don't get attached. I've to.
Sometimes it takes time to attach but if I redo it, no problem.

Top Bottom