The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
Company didn't lie. They didn't say anything. This is one blogger doing what he does best, blog.
correction: the blogger lies

The MacBook Pro has got a decent video card. So yeah, it CAN game. The MacBook is NOT a gaming machine.

And if you didn't read correctly, he said he didn't want to buy yet another 'gaming lappy'. That is, a laptop specially bought for gaming.
1. 8600GT is in no way decent by todays standards. Try runniung crysis

2. I think hr already has some gaming ;laptops, so he will be better off with mb basic

goobimama

 Macboy
^^ Whoever said that "if you have a gaming laptop, don't get a macbook pro". You do realise that people who buy a mac, don't buy it with gaming on their mind.

Crysis on Macbook Pro: *www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dcXCdrnbbI
crysis runs on MBP, I agree. It even runs on GMA X3000. But not at "crysis quality", which can be achieved only on cards like HD3870XT, 8800GT, etc.

MBP makes the best buy if the person who wants to buy it is a huge apple fan and prefers to use apple as his main hardware and has no other better configuration laptops. For all others, there is MacBook basic.

[mb = macbook basic]

mb can run maya, final cut studio pro, iwork, ilife, etc successfully and comfortably

mb can run simpler games like ut2k4, urt, doom3, gta san andreas, etc successfully and comfortably

mb consumes lesser power than mbp, and is smaller, so its more portable, and only if you carry your mac around can you show it off to those who have never seen one before.

mb is much more cheaper than the mbp and the money saved is better off when invested elsewere.

[end commentry]

so why MBP ?

While guys like you, ayyush, ashwin, etc are better off buying MBP instead of MB, guys like him who want a macbook for the sake of having one and to flaunt a product thats a bit "different" from the normal ones, the most basic is enough.

PS: whats the price of MB in US during Black Friday ?

What?! I can't argue with this. You make it seem like the Macbook Pro has no purpose for existence in this world.
yes it does.
lots infact.

As you may have read on my prev post, MBP is not for everybody.

And why are you this much over enthusiastic about people getting MBP ? Is it the ultimate laptop or something ?

PS: lets leave it to the kid to decide what he wants to buy. Hell, he has two 8800GTX and a QuadCore machine. He will have no trouble getting even 2 MBPs.

Gaming on laptops is a foolish thing to do because:
1.I already have a decent gaming rig.
2.I hate playing FPS's with touchpad,it is very frustrating!

Almost all games except crysis run at max settings on 8600 GT.I owned one till dec 07.
moreover,I have no gaming plans on MBP.If I ever feel like playing games on it,I have both vista and XP to install on bootcamp:D

Almost all games except crysis run at max settings on 8600 GT.I owned one till dec 07.
moreover,I have no gaming plans on MBP.If I ever feel like playing games on it,I have both vista and XP to install on bootcamp:D
You have already told me all this and lots more when I tried to help with your ubuntu installation problem.

But I didn't get one thing:

do you plan to keep the mbp as the only laptop you have or do you have another laptop ?
and what are your plans for it ?
do you want 17" screen or 15" screen or 13" screen ?

You have already told me all this and lots more when I tried to help with your ubuntu installation problem.

But I didn't get one thing:

do you plan to keep the mbp as the only laptop you have or do you have another laptop ?
and what are your plans for it ?
do you want 17" screen or 15" screen or 13" screen ?
See,i hate laptops when it comes to gaming coz I cant play first person shooters with touchpad as I can do with mouse.I don't have any lappy,its my dad who owns 2.I am going to buy 17" MBP.

goobimama

 Macboy
yes it does.
lots infact.

As you may have read on my prev post, MBP is not for everybody.

And why are you this much over enthusiastic about people getting MBP ? Is it the ultimate laptop or something ?

PS: lets leave it to the kid to decide what he wants to buy. Hell, he has two 8800GTX and a QuadCore machine. He will have no trouble getting even 2 MBPs.
Oh I love the macbook. I think it is perfect for most people. What was bothering me was this fixation you had with the MacBook Pro and Gaming. That's not the purpose of the macbook Pro.

And FYI, you try running Logic, Final Cut Studio on a Macbook (FCS2 doesn't even run on a macbook).

Pathik

Google Bot

You can use a USB mouse.

goobimama

 Macboy
Watching someone play with a trackpad is the funniest thing! This girl had brought her MacBook over to play UT2004 with the guys. I offered her a mouse, but she refused. Looked really funny aiming and such with the trackpad! And I must say, not half that bad a gamer ;)

See,i hate laptops when it comes to gaming coz I cant play first person shooters with touchpad as I can do with mouse.I don't have any lappy,its my dad who owns 2.I am going to buy 17" MBP.
If thats the case, stick with the macbook pro.
And yes, if, *if*, you ever change your mind about using a mouse instead of a trackpad, you might want to concider the Dell XPS m7130.

For 20k lesser than the 1.25 lakh mbp(17" model), you get

8700 mGT 256(or 512) mb GDDR3 X2 SLI
4 GB RAM
200 GB 7200 RPM HDD
Core2Duo T9300
Agea Physx Accelator

this baby can easily run OSX and its apps, either installed or in VM, and seriously kicks a$$. So you might again want to concider it. Its also 17", like the MBP. And it looks evil from the front, with awssome graphics/design on the lid.

So if you ever think of replacing the multi trackpad, glowing buttons and better looking screen with extra money in your pocket and an a$$load of extra performance, do conicder this.

That said, from what Ayyush tells me, Apple Computers have a moderately decent resale value. So you can still sell the 1.25 lakh MBP for 1.1 Lakh after 6 to 9 months, and hence you can get an opportunity to try the dell xps after you buy the mbp too.
Oh I love the macbook. I think it is perfect for most people. What was bothering me was this fixation you had with the MacBook Pro and Gaming. That's not the purpose of the macbook Pro.

And FYI, you try running Logic, Final Cut Studio on a Macbook (FCS2 doesn't even run on a macbook).
But the system requirements said that MB was enough for them...
And the processing power differnce is not really TOO great. MB has the processing power of a modern mid range to high end PC. Only the GPU is weak.

And once again, for a person who is not exclusively a mac user, who runs Windows, Linux and Mac, and who has a gaming rig at home, how much ever you try to disprove it, or resist it, he will naturally try to game on his laptop at one point or the other. Its human tendency; and you needn't try to teach me about them. Desires of humans can be understood only if you experience them.
You can use a USB mouse.
I love USB mini Mice
Watching someone play with a trackpad is the funniest thing! This girl had brought her MacBook over to play UT2004 with the guys. I offered her a mouse, but she refused. Looked really funny aiming and such with the trackpad! And I must say, not half that bad a gamer ;)
I got screwed by my Dad's laptop. It was horrible, really a big pain in the fingers. I couldn't even edit text doccuments comftably using that sick thing people call track pad.

T9300 I guess is a penryn quad and 8700GT an OEM GPU and I don't know much about both of them.However,I know quite a lot a about C2D and 8600GT(personal experience which was quite pleasant).The C2D in MBP is also penryn which might well solve the heating issues :D

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
No more heating issues with MBP. Till my generation (Santa Rosa) heat was a problem, but that is now taken care of.

So when you buy a Mac, you look and stay cool. :)

goobimama

 Macboy
I got screwed by my Dad's laptop. It was horrible, really a big pain in the fingers. I couldn't even edit text doccuments comftably using that sick thing people call track pad.
Please don't compare a trackpad of any other laptop with a Mac. They are a world apart.

And once again, for a person who is not exclusively a mac user, who runs Windows, Linux and Mac, and who has a gaming rig at home, how much ever you try to disprove it, or resist it, he will naturally try to game on his laptop at one point or the other. Its human tendency; and you needn't try to teach me about them. Desires of humans can be understood only if you experience them.
It is also a human tendency to grow out of gaming. Poor me, I didn't realise that. I bought a 7900GT and put in additional RAM only to find I can't game for more than 10 minutes.

In any case, one is never an exclusive user until one gets a mac. Suddenly everything else seems pointless and you just get on with doing what you love to do.

Again, the macbook is NOT for pro uses. First of all its screen is too small for something like FCP or Logic, no graphics, no digital sound output (the pro has got a digital IN as well), FW800 ports, No expresscard slot, No Mallika Sherawat, and that beautiful illuminated keyboard. The MacBook is very good for regular college users, or people who don't do more than just use a computer.

Also, is that the correct model number of the DELL you have just mentioned? Cause I entered it into Google and this thread shows third in the list...

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
^ Dell XPS m1730.

You get a XPS m1730, You look Super hot and stay Super cool and have a lappy that can run Crysis Super good.. :D

EDIT: Goobi, *www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m1730?c=in&cs=indhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Last edited:
Top Bottom