The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

yash

I draw every day
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

u know what? i was considering getting the apple wireless laser mouse before i bought my tablet. but my tablet came with a mouse and i didn't need one anymore.

goobimama

 Macboy

Can you really use a mouse when there's a pen? I've stopped using the mouse since I got the tablet. It's only there for those less fortunate souls who want to interact with my mac....

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

You use your tablet all the time? :eek:

yash

I draw every day

hey, I was just watching transformers again, (in HIGH DEF) and I noticed that right after all the computers and communications of the defence team are brought down, the only thing working, is the macbook pro of the sector 7 guy. chew on that!

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

LOL you are right :D, even landline and mobile phones didnot work :p.. or maybe the virus thought that Apple as a fruit :D

yash

I draw every day

has anyone read the post on daring fireball titled "apple needs a nikon"?

who else thinks its so true? lets get a discussion going. also, can nintendo make a cool cellphone? I think they just might be able to pull it off. I mean, look at the nintendo ds lite...

jamesbond007

 MacManiac

aryayush said:
LOL! Good one. :lol:

First of all, congratulations on being gifted a Mac! God, I wish I had such friends. :p

Second, why do you want to install Windows? Are you facing any problem with Mac OS X?

Third, upgrade to Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard. :)

Now, answer the second question, please.

Yeah yeah boy I am one lucky soul to have such a friend !!!! I can't help I just got lucky.
I only reason why I want to install Win on my MacBook is internet. I am on cable internet and I cant have internet on mac. I called my cable guy for setting up internet on my Mac but he says Mac does'nt support the 24Online client through which I connect I internet on Windows!!!!! If you can help me in this its like good bye Win. Seriously I can't believe MacBook could looks as sexy as Anna Kournikova!!!

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

@Yash, another one here. A Mac without Internet.

@jamesbond007, you have a Mac now. So, improve your taste. :p

If you use a Mac and keep sticking with incompatible services and products and keep using Windows to use them, you won't be able to enjoy your Mac. The experience is just tainted then and a Mac is all about the end user experience. So, first of all, get rid of the Internet through cable thing. Their service and speeds suck, man. I've used it for several months. After that, get DataOne Broadband from BSNL. Then, I'll help you set it up.

If you use it without the Internet, you'll soon get bored of Mac OS X. Plus, the major advantage of Mac OS X - immunity from viruses, spyware, etc. - will become a moot point for you.

Think about it. Get rid of the connection. :)

If you still want to know the Windows thing, well... let me know... :(

yash said:
hey, I was just watching transformers again, (in HIGH DEF) and I noticed that right after all the computers and communications of the defence team are brought down, the only thing working, is the macbook pro of the sector 7 guy. chew on that!
I cannot. It is unbelievable. Is Transformers only one movie or is it one of the sequels or something? Gotta watch this one. :eek:

yash said:
has anyone read the post on daring fireball titled "apple needs a nikon"?

who else thinks its so true? lets get a discussion going. also, can nintendo make a cool cellphone? I think they just might be able to pull it off. I mean, look at the nintendo ds lite...
I have not read it yet. I visit this forum before launching Google Reader. Be back in a few... :)

jamesbond007

 MacManiac

aryayush said:
@Yash, another one here. A Mac without Internet.

@jamesbond007, you have a Mac now. So, improve your taste. :p

If you still want to know the Windows thing, well... let me know... :(

I tasted Linux, I tasted Windows and now its time to taste Mac and trust me on this I am not gonna leave it.
As for the Cable internet problem is concerned I have applied for BSNL Broadband but the problem is that in my area there are already more than 250 applications in pending ..... so fingers crossed !!!!

Untill then I ll have to somehow run my internet on Mac and if you can help me its gonna be great.

Mark my words .... I am gonna be a regular on this thread.

I have a suggestion for the Mods as for this thread is concerned. I think we should start a separate section for Mac discussion coz I browsed all the 83 pages of this thread and found that dozens and dozens of questions have remained unanswered simply because its difficult to scroll so many pages and look for queries.
New section for Mac is gonna help a big deal to new comers like me

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

@Yash, I've read it now and I, of course, think "it's so true". I love Gruber's writing. This post echoed one thought I've myself been having for quite some time now. What happens if, on day, Apple quits or is bought or something? I cannot think of any computer I would be able to switch to and not feel extremely disappointed. This is why I keep saying that Apple, in a sense, has a monopoly. I'm stuck to Mac OS X so unless they absolutely start ripping off customers, there is no way I can ever think of jumping ship. So, as far as I am concerned, Apple is in a position of monopoly. The existence of Windows and Linux(es) simply does not matter to me.

What will happen if Apple is shut down one day? Or even when Jobs quits? I shudder to think what might happen to the company. A worthy successor to Jobs would be extremely difficult to find.

I agree with Gruber, Apple definitely needs some good competition and at present, they aren't getting any. In the computer space, it is impossible to compete with Apple. No one can come up with a new, better operating system now and develop the whole ecosystem around it to compete with them. But they could do with some better competition in the music and phone businesses.

@Yash, this is a good idea, IMHO. We should discuss such columns more often. It provides food for thought and keeps a healthy and useful discussion going. :)

jamesbond007 said:
I tasted Linux, I tasted Windows and now its time to taste Mac and trust me on this I am not gonna leave it.
Ah, a person like me. I love this refreshing attitude. Nothing's wrong in trying out something new with persistence and an actual desire to learn.

jamesbond007 said:
As for the Cable internet problem is concerned I have applied for BSNL Broadband but the problem is that in my area there are already more than 250 applications in pending ..... so fingers crossed !!!!
I wish you luck. :)

jamesbond007 said:
Untill then I ll have to somehow run my internet on Mac and if you can help me its gonna be great.
OK. Upgrade to Leopard. Do you indulge in software piracy or not?

jamesbond007 said:
Mark my words .... I am gonna be a regular on this thread.
I sure hope so...

jamesbond007 said:
I have a suggestion for the Mods as for this thread is concerned. I think we should start a separate section for Mac discussion coz I browsed all the 83 pages of this thread and found that dozens and dozens of questions have remained unanswered simply because its difficult to scroll so many pages and look for queries.
I agree with you but I can also see the problem the administrators are facing right now. There are, what, seven active Mac users here? Though it is several times better than the two we had earlier, it is still too low a number to warrant an entirely new section.

And though it has many obvious disadvantages, I like this thread. It's a tiny little corner isolated from the rest of the forum. Few people visit this thread and those that do are very enthusiastic Mac users. Even though it is not a sticky, it is one of the lengthiest threads on this forum and never leaves the first page of topics. It also has the highest replies to views ratio. I love the idea of it. :D

Update: The first post now has a list of the active Mac users, in case someone is interested. :)

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy

If you use it without the Internet, you'll soon get bored of Mac OS X
Ahem...

Btw, jamesbond, you can use internet with your mac. This will however require bootcamp + XP. Most internet dialers require that you log into them and after that your computer is connected whether or not the dialer is running. So if you go to the task manager, and "End task" the dialer, it will not pop up when you are shutting down windows. Then just reboot into OS X with the same IP settings and it will be all good. Of course, every time you turn off your machine, the session will get reset. This is not the issue if your cable runs through a router. If you leave the router ON, then the session will continue and your internet will be accessible in OS X. This has worked for two services for me. One was Sify and the other was...dont remember.

----

Goobi uses an iPhone!

Yep! That's me! I'm not at liberty to say where or who's iPhone, (not mine :( ) but I did and I must say that all the doubts that I had, whether or not to go in for the iPod touch are now washed away. iPhone it is! (Google maps are so amazing! I've used them on the PC but it was never like the iPhone!)

From the first post:
Update 2: The Mac family has now been updated to welcome the newest, sexiest member. Bye, bye - old white iMac. We'll (hardly) miss you!
:(

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

You saw that today! It was written only for you. :p

goobimama said:
Btw, jamesbond, you can use internet with your mac. This will however require bootcamp + XP. Most internet dialers require that you log into them and after that your computer is connected whether or not the dialer is running. So if you go to the task manager, and "End task" the dialer, it will not pop up when you are shutting down windows. Then just reboot into OS X with the same IP settings and it will be all good. Of course, every time you turn off your machine, the session will get reset. This is not the issue if your cable runs through a router. If you leave the router ON, then the session will continue and your internet will be accessible in OS X. This has worked for two services for me. One was Sify and the other was...dont remember.
See, this is the brilliance of discussion boards. I would never have been able to come up with this solution. I think this should solve your problem.

Do you have a router? (I don't think he does though.)

goobimama said:
Goobi uses an iPhone!

Yep! That's me! I'm not at liberty to say where or who's iPhone, (not mine :( ) but I did and I must say that all the doubts that I had, whether or not to go in for the iPod touch are now washed away. iPhone it is! (Google maps are so amazing! I've used them on the PC but it was never like the iPhone!)
Damn you, man! You're evil. I haven't even seen the touch yet. :(

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

I saw that coming from a mile away. :lol:

goobimama

 Macboy

Btw, if you haven't watched transformers, you are missing out on the most amazing movie out there. Seriously. And I know I liked 300 while you did not, but you got to watch transformers. I will even go ahead an say that it is better than 300, even though I know that it is impossible for something to be better than 300...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

I haven't watched 300 and if I do, I know I'll most probably like it.

But it has nudity. :(

(I know I sound lame and I don't mind.)

I will watch Transformers though. You have it?

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall

jamesbond007 said:
I don't think we need any more separate section for a dozen users. AFAIK, the new sections were created with tons of requests from users and sometimes threatens from mods. :) I think we've some good comunity here, just post your queries here and the Mac Genius, Macboys, Mac nOObs, the Mac mod, Mac lords will help you.

aryayush-
You left mail2and and myself. :D I got iPod Nano, MBP and getting iPhone soon. ;-)

goobimama -
300 is a better movie than Transformers, IMHO. Maybe I saw in the Cinemas (and again on my Laptop), but Transformers in PC. The spirit and message that are send across is very inspiring. Got to mention about the movies though...

300 - Never seen action scenes/stunts like that before.
Transformers - The coolest thing that I've seen in a movie!

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

See my new Dock:
*img229.imageshack.us/img229/517/shinydockqo3.png

Looking all shiny and sexy, isn't it? :D

drgrudge said:
aryayush-
You left mail2and and myself. :D I got iPod Nano, MBP and getting iPhone soon. ;-)
You have started using a Mac? Was this post from your Mac?

Anand is not an active member anymore. :(

BTW, are you getting an unlocked iPhone?

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall

The iPod Nano is already here (with dad actually), the MBP is due next week, maybe this Monday/Tuesday; but I'm not sure. The person who was supposed to carry from Texas, had a Laptop so she couldn't bring it.

My friend is going to Colorado soon, so getting the iPhone in any of the Apple Store. Will do the necessary things here. Planning the $400 (should be $433 after tax) 8 Gb one. Fine naa?

Actually planned Sony H9, but I already have a HP so going to postpone that purchase for sometime.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

drgrudge said:
Planning the $400 (should be $433 after tax) 8 Gb one. Fine naa?
There is only one iPhone. :)

Everyone, please check out the first post and fill me in on the missing details and correct me if I've made any mistake(s). :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom