The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

goobimama

 Macboy
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

True. Foobar has exceptional audio quality output. How about using foobar through parallels or crossover? I haven't tried that so can't say what the output it like. Also, does the mac mini have an optical output for lossless transmission?

In reply to aayush's expose+Spaces, nice. One cool thing to do is, open random windows in different spaces and then shut down the mac. It keeps moving in from one space to another quitting those apps/windows which has a nice "look at the UI, it's so cool" effect. :)

And I saw the screenshot. Yep, foobar is a fugly player, but there's inner beauty in there.

Last edited:

superczar

-n00b-

True. Foobar has exceptional audio quality output. How about using foobar through parallels or crossover? I haven't tried that so can't say what the output it like. Also, does the mac mini have an optical output for lossless transmission?
Wouldn't help

The reason I am using ASIO in Foobar is that it lets simply pass through the audio data bytes from the PC via USB to an external D-A converter thereby eliminating any post processing and the coloration it imparts

Even if I were to manage to run foobar emulated, ASIO output won't be achieved

Also, no optical out on the Mini :(

Here is the setup with that fugly windows box that I wrapped up last night...the amp is right behind the LHS speaker

*www.screenshots.cc/view_thumb/ab6611715/htpc.jpg

Arya, Foobar is ugly, but trust me, it beats the hell out of itunes when it comes to Sound quality

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Ah, well, I am not much of an audiophile (or, as gx_saurav would probably say, an "audio file"). Thank God! :p

superczar

-n00b-

no no, I am not a golden eared audiophile either (ugh..that term sounds so snooty)

nor do i go around looking for lossless versions of everything and anything

Just that good music is meant to be appreciated, so i try to play it back the way it should be reproduced

ray|raven

Think Zen.

Offtopic : is that the Wii on ur desk?
How much did u get one for?

Regards,
ray

superczar

-n00b-

$260 + another 100 and several hours to mod it
Having said that, a friend got a pre modded wii locally for 15K IIRC, less headache and same cost

ray|raven

Think Zen.

Offtopic again :p :Would u say it's worth it?

Regards,
ray

superczar

-n00b-

^^ Totally
I made the mistake of picking a 360 which just gathered dust so i sold it off dbl quick
having said that,, it depends on what kind of gamer you are
People who love FPS games (serious gamers as they term themselves) would not like the wii at all
Wii games are typically casual, fun games which are highly involving and are best played in a gathering of friends/in a party...so if that's your idea of gaming, you'll totally love it

ray|raven

Think Zen.

Hmm,yeah the Wii kinda redefines gaming and games IMO,
The interaction between the game and the gamer is taken to a new level,
something not seen before ,
I wanted to experience this after reading about the Wii,

And 15k for a modded one is a pretty good price.
Considering a 360 sells for 20k+.

Regards,
ray

yash

I draw every day

I was looking at shirtpocket discussions and a lot of other users have reported a slimilar experience. The admins at the forum only responded with things like "Slow speeds are caused because either the source or destination drives aren't running quickly (for whatever reason), or because of software interference " and some users have suggested turning spotlight indexing off during backup. This makes sense because as I'm alternating between tiger and leopard, leopard spotlight would destroy the tiger spotlight data, and spotlight would start reindexing everything once I booted back into tiger.

and that I think is the solution to my own problem. (so no more hitting your head on the keyboard aayush)

goobimama

 Macboy

As for me, when it comes to the Mac, I like my album art, the ability to browse via quicksilver, the integration of music in all apps. It's all possible with iTunes. And since I use the built-in speakers of the mac, the sound quality question doesn't arise. And it's not like the sound quality of iTunes is bad or anything, it's pretty good.

But on the Windows end for iTunes, the coverflow is very slow, there's no integration and such, so I've left with either the cluttered WMP11 (I find it cluttered), the slow to start Winamp, or the fast and nice sounding foobar. Makes a difference on the my speakers.

Btw supercar, nice HT setup you got there....

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

yash said:
(so no more hitting your head on the keyboard aayush)
Best thing I've heard today. :D

[OK, after the PoSV news. :p]

I am sorry for these useless posts but I just cannot help myself. Mac OS X is freaking awesome! In the morning today, I'd been hearing an Enrique Iglesias song that had the words "maybe you were right" somewhere in between. Right from the morning, I was humming these words so I just wanted to hear that song again. Of course, I had no clue which song it was. I just typed "maybe you were right" in the Spotlight search field and there it was:
*img220.imageshack.us/img220/8026/maybeyouwererightes3.png
Seriously, does this thing read minds! WOW! :D

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy

One more thing to add to that. I just about finished watching an episode of Big Bang Theory, when I just sat there doing nothing with the list of videos in frontrow. Then the name started scrolling cause it was too long (much appreciated improvement over 1.0), when I noticed, that after scrolling the entire name through, it sort of slows down to the end. As if braking and not abruptly stopping. I've never seen such a thing in any scroller before!

yash

I draw every day

"maybe you were right" search results shows messages from yash gupta and yashrg eh? are you hinting at something?

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy

Hehehe! There's some really funny links in there! For one, why would you need an ebook Macbook for dummies?!?! :)

And what's that link on How to change the world! Are you going to feature on Oprah soon?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

@arya , did that mp3 have lyrics in it?

And Spotlight check the search with the index right?

yash

I draw every day

another one... emma_darcy_the_playboy... o_0

goobimama

 Macboy

Aayush exposed! :D :D :D (Where's iMav. He would have loved this!)

superczar

-n00b-

another one...
*ahem* copy of HP-TDH (pdf) :p

here is a lame shortcoming on os x though

running a remote desktop to os x is infinitely worse than MS RDP (remote desktop)

MS RDP on a 512 kbps from the outside world runs as fast as ARD (apple remote desktop) / vnc on a 54Mbps home wireless lan

i realized this when i tried to control my old windoze box on the htpc frm my laptop...the experience was infinitely better than trying to control the mini from it ...

seems like ARD redraws the entire desktop as static images on the viewer while rdp uses some api hooks to enable control while transmitting only relevant information

Top Bottom