The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

goobimama

 Macboy
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

The thing is, in the States the Extreme costs $175. So, all you need after that is your HDD with a cheap enclosure. I'm sure NAS enclosures cost a little more than $150 here, add to that the cost of a good router (with dual antennas) for 3.5k and it makes up for the Extreme.

As for the bazaar, you need to wait a bit cause the mods go through each and every new thread in the bazaar section to avoid piracy. Usually takes day...maybe two.

Last edited:

superczar

-n00b-

Goobi, don't tread into apple fanboi territory :p

You are comparing US prices for the Airport extreme with the India prices for NAS + Linksys/Buffalo routers

Apple India store isn't opening for me though..any idea how much it costs in India?

goobimama

 Macboy

No. I'm not comparing with indian prices (oh well, maybe I did for the router thing). I'm referring to $150 for NAS + Router. Now don't tell me a good router costs $25 in the states now does it?

I was also saying that a NAS bought in India + router bought in India would sort of justify the Extreme's extreme 11.5k pricetag...

Also with the extreme you can do wireless printing. The setup is also amazingly simple. I'm still trying to configure the D-link modem with the linksys router...

Last edited:

superczar

-n00b-

the $150 NAS came with a 500GB HDD too..didn't it? :p

let's see, a Linksys WRT54G router (2K) + a 500GB HDD (6K?) + say 3K for the NAS enclosure?

that totals up to 11K (In India) which is the price of the airport extreme alone (In India)....

Or in the US too, $40 for a router + $ 150 for a NAS HDD ($190) vs $ 179 for the airport and $120 for a USB HDD ($299)

Although as much as I love apple, their accessories/peripheral pricing borders on the obscene

goobimama

 Macboy

I thought you meant $150 for the enclosure. If it comes with a 500GB HDD, then it's all good... the NAS thing is the best way to go...

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=633756#post633756

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Leopard. October 26. W00t! :D

superczar said:
Goobi, don't tread into apple fanboi territory
Tread? Tread! He ran into it headlong years ago and has been going in deeper ever since. As of today, he's too far in there to ever have any hope of returning back. :p

spironox

Booting Nicotine!!

^^ aryayush that firewire400 cable rocks man !!!

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

LOL! Yeah, I know. FireWire is an awesome protocol! :)

yash

I draw every day

hey, any of you guys know what advantage daisy chain has? also, the drawbacks and hassles etc. where can I find more info on daisy chaining hard drives.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall

We know that an apple fell on Newton and he gave the world with gravity, rates of change and other sh*t. What if a Penguin or "Windows" fell on him?

Newtonian alternative histories
*krishashok.wordpress.com/2007/10/16/newtonian-alternative-histories/

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

This just in...Mac OS X Leopard is no longer resolution independent like Windows Vista. The UI is still last generation Raster based.

Source for System requirments

Here are the minimum specs your Mac will need to run Leopard, according to Apple:
  • Intel, G5, or 867MHz+ G4 processor
  • 512 megs of RAM (though if you only have 512 megs of RAM you should get some more. Trust me, I'm a pundit)
  • DVD drive (Leopard is shipping on a DVD, and your Mac needs to read it to be able to install it)
  • 9GB of free disk space (though I bet if you customize the install and leave out all those printer drivers and extra languages you can save lots of space)
In addition some features have further requirements:
  • Time Machine requires a hard drive in addition to your boot disk (external or internal is fine, I would imagine)
  • Photo Booth requires a camera of some kind (shocking!) and a processor better than a G4. If you want to do those wacky backdrop effects you'll need an Intel Core Duo or faster
  • Screensharing requires a speeding net connection (300 Kbps is Apple's recommendation)
  • DVD player requires a 1.6GHz or better proc for super cool de-interlacing (I hate interlacing!)

Too bad, andy is out of luck & he just ordered Leopard for 5 pounds.

Why do Mac OS needs time machine? It never crashes, right? :D

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

^^^ 5 Pounds? how come so cheap?

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall

^^
That's because he got a MBP with Students discount. People who have purchased Mac this month, OCt. will get Leopard for $9.95/ 5 Pounds

goobimama

 Macboy

The OS may not crash, but that doesn't mean that the hard drive might not fail. If HDDs didn't fail on Macs, why would companies spend huge amounts on backups. Just get a mac!

And as for the UI being raster based, whatever that is, who gives a bald eagle's azz. It works doesn't it? It's not slow and sloggy but snappy and feels like part of the OS.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

goobimama said:
And as for the UI being raster based, whatever that is, who gives a bald eagle's azz. It works doesn't it? It's not slow and sloggy but snappy and feels like part of the OS.
apni chaddi sabse achi :lol: :lol:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

@drgrudge thanks for the info :)

goobimama

 Macboy

*img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.d4b25d7c5a.jpg

*img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.a49bf2b58c.jpg

Here's some screenies of the new BETA of hoffice for mac. It really looks like a 'mac software' now...and pretty stable too for a beta.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

MS rulz the software market for a reason :)

goobimama

 Macboy

heheh... you guys are shameless :)

Here's a pic of me with the touch:
*img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.2d7154de54.jpg

Well of course I can't keep a straight face while holding the touch. The giggling never stops!

Last edited:
Top Bottom