The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

Any of you guys used netdisks?

goobimama

 Macboy

First of all firewire800 doesn't make much sense in case of a normal desktop HD. It's just a few seconds faster when it comes to a single external drive. Only in cases of HD video or dual external disks does it make a difference. It's just that the difference between USB and FW is so big, that I don't mind spending an extra 1.5k on a FW interface.

...and yeah, Mere mac mein FW800 ka dum nahin hai.. :(. Shunyavad yaad dilane ko.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

:lol: :lol: ... dhanyawaad :lol: sorry goobi but it jus cracked me up ... :lol:

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

goobimama said:
First of all firewire800 doesn't make much sense in case of a normal desktop HD. It's just a few seconds faster when it comes to a single external drive. Only in cases of HD video or dual external disks does it make a difference.
What are you talking about, dude! Have you ever used FireWire 800? My Mac, as you might know, has both and FireWire 800 is around twice as fast as FireWire 400. It is scorching fast, man!

goobimama said:
...and yeah, Mere mac mein FW800 ka dum nahin hai.. :(. Shunyavad yaad dilane ko.
Well, ever since you upgraded the RAM to two gigabytes, I have precious few left to torment you about. So, I don't let go of opportunities. :p

"Shunyavad"?! LOL! :lol:

Keep trying, dude. It's great to see you talking in hindi.

goobimama

 Macboy

What drive were you using? Anyway, the argument ends there cause I don't have FW800...

Also, I've seen some tests done here and there on the net. In one test:
USB: 9mins
FW400: 5 mins
FW800: 4.5mins

Now USB is sloooow, but the difference between FW400 and 800 is like bearable... Also, those FW800 drives cost a lot.

@everyone: Laugh. Laugh it off. But let's see you try and tackle some 'advanced' konkani and I'll show you.

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

^^^
offtopic: I can only understand spoken konkani :( , I believe goan konkani is a bit different than that spoken in karnataka.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

Lol... poor Milind... :D :D hehe... can't even abuse us in his mother tongue. Charan to the rescue!!! :D

I must admit that the speed difference between Firewire400 and USB 2.0 is quite discerable. I think its the way in which FW transfers data that matters.

superczar

-n00b-

It's not only the speed difference, but the fact that firewire is designed ground up for error-free sustained data transfer
Use a USB HDD across different machines running different OSs and see the poor thing groan under errorneous data transfers

I gave up on USB external HDDs long back after multiple crashes while the poor thing kept shuffling between systems runnning OS X, Windoze and Ubuntu

So I gave up and now use a 500 GB NAS HDD now to store my media and other $hit while letting all my other systems use the NAS HDD as their favorite dumping ground

The data transfer rates are obviously nothing to talk about, but I don't need high data transfer speeds anyway while running media files off the NAS server HDD

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

500GB! That would take about two days to fill. :p

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

@superczar where did you buy the NAS? is a seperate NAS enclosure available in india?

superczar

-n00b-

I picked that up in the US but I am pretty sure it should be available here too....
I may be going to Ritchie street (Chennai) this weekend, so can check and let you know

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

^^ thanks :) , if possible do check if multiple disk NAS are available :)

superczar

-n00b-

Most NAS enclosures will let you attch one SATA/IDE disk and then also let you attach additional external USB disks
I will check that nevertheless

goobimama

 Macboy

@Charan: Both, your avatar as well as your siggy are really amazing!

Now, as for NAS, what would you is the average cost of the enclosure? Cause an airport extreme has a USB port wherein you can plug an external drive without much effort.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

goobimama said:
@Charan: Both, your avatar as well as your siggy are really amazing!
Thanks for the compliment :)
Now, as for NAS, what would you is the average cost of the enclosure? Cause an airport extreme has a USB port wherein you can plug an external drive without much effort.

I dont own any external USB HDD right now, but will one buy soon, cause im running out of sata ports and space. I am interested on NAS cause it has a advantage that it can be accessed from multiple computers and can be clubbed with Wi-Fi network. :D ..

BTW airport exrerme is $179 rite?

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall

Guys, just read this at Freelanch Switch blog...
SWITCHOFF: Freelancing…Mac or PC?
*feeds.feedburner.com/~r/FreelanceSwitch/~3/165635803/

Very well written. Loved it.

superczar

-n00b-

I got a 500GB NAS with a WD drive for $150
absolutely worth the price paid

The airport extreme is a little too expensive IMHO, you are bettr off buying a cheap 2000 INR Buffalo or Linksys router and slap custom firmware like OpenWRT on it

PS: On an absolutely unrelated side note, does anyone know how long do mods on this site take to approve (the GOK why) moderated market threads.
I tried posting a For Sale thread for an iPhone 4 Gig (as I got myself a new 8 gigger) yesterday and I still don't see that thread in the bazaar section

Top Bottom