The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

gx_saurav said:
How do I disable checking for software updates compleately? In Windows I can disable the service & be done with it (Power user method), what about Mac?
Have you ever actually used Mac OS X? Or are you just stupid!

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

I frequently need to search for all the Apple related threads on this forum and I have a list of keywords that I use to do so. It is a very extensive list and catches every single Apple related thread (with a few false positives). I guess there might be other people here who might want to use it so I have today decided to make it open source. :D

Here goes nothing:
apple mac ipod itunes iphone macintosh macintoshes macs imac imacs macbook macbooks macbookpro macbookpros macpro macpros macmini macminis mini minis macosx macos osx tiger leopard bootcamp ipods shuffle shuffles nano nanos classic classics touch touches ipodshuffle ipodshuffles ipodnano ipodnanos ipodclassic ipodclassics ipodtouch ipodtouches itms iphones safari quicktime quicktimeplayer wwdc macworld jobs steve stevejobs
Feel free to add to it.

How to go about searching?

Here's a completely useless tutorial to go with an already useless post:
1. Copy the list of keywords above (select it and hit ⌘C);
2. Click on the 'Search ▾' button in the menu at the top (third one from the right);
3. In the menu that appears, click on 'Advanced Search';
4. Paste (⌘V) the copied text into the 'Key Word(s):' text box (top left);
5. Select the 'Search Titles Only' option from the drop down menu just below it; and
6. Hit ↩ (or click on 'Search Now').

Easy stuff. LOL! :D

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

For those looking for better NTFS read write on Mac OS X can now use a better NTFS 3G driver which is based on the old shadowofgod's version but GPL this time..

NTFS-3G for Mac OS X is a read-write (finally) NTFS file-system driver. This means we can finally write to memory sticks larger than 4GB (formatted with NTFS).
I have created a package similar to shadowofged's original NTFS-3G package, providing better integration with OS X such as automatic mounting of volumes. It is loosely based on the old shadowofged package, but the binary-only components have been replaced by my own GPL replacements.

Make sure MacFUSE is installed

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

I read it somewhere that OS X will not be restircted to mac any more. so will it be legal to install OS X on a PC now?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Charan said:
I read it somewhere that OS X will not be restircted to mac any more. so will it be legal to install OS X on a PC now?

I don't think Apple will do this.

goobimama

 Macboy

I just got some amazing news. A friend of mine, has a cousin working for apple in UK. And she can get me ANY apple product at 50% off! MBP for 50k?!?!?!

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

I know who I'm going to look for when I want to buy a JesusProduct in future! :D

goobimama

 Macboy

^^ Blasphemy! And may the Lord (jobs?) strike down upon you with vengeance (no iphone for you)!!!

Kazunga! After a one and half years of using the remote like a ******, I finally got to see the 'low battery' warning on the screen. It's much like when you put the mac to sleep, it shows a dark screen with the remote, the battery compartment out, and the battery flashing on and off.... the remote still works, but only if pointed straight at (earlier, I could even use it from behind)...

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

God! That's one warning I never want to see... :D

Does the thing have standard batteries available all over the place?

goobimama

 Macboy

Yeah. Those normal CRsomething30whatever batteries available at most electronic shops. Costs 30 bucks. (Also known as motherboard battery)

I don't think you will see it so soon. I have this habit of changing the volume in one movie sitting like a hundred times. And I've watched so many...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Oh, c'mon! You've probably watched only watched five movies on your Mac.

You just luuurve your PC... :D

goobimama

 Macboy

No seriously. Even though there's a bigger screen and better sound on the PC, I still find it really convenient to use my remote whenever I'm not getting sleep or something (which is quite often). TV shows I exclusively watch on the Mac. Music as well... I hardly use my PC.

An interesting development:
I showed my dad that Introduction of Macintosh video. "Hey I used to work on that. Huub had it when I was in holland". Somehow he failed to mention this before... apparently it was a really big deal when he bought it. Lots of people used to come just to see what the macintosh was all about...
And as a sidenote, Huub (someone from holland), has continued working on a Mac since those days and now uses a Mac Pro. He has never "used" a PC...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Awesome! I would like to meet such a guy. A hardcore Mac user. :D

(I guess I will one day when my sister grows up. She has never "used" a PC till date and I'll try to make sure no one subjects her to it.)

And your Dad actually used the original Macintosh? The Mac! Awesome! I guess you had it in your genes then... :D

goobimama

 Macboy

Well he's a painter and uses his mac for all kinds of initial conceptualization. Tried a PC, and said it felt like he was using a 'machine' instead of the feeling of a natural canvas which the mac offers. And you need that for art...(these are not tales I'm pulling out of my head... I met this guy like a couple of months back)

You never know. The next story might be that my real grandfather is actually Paul Jobs...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Ha! Ha! LOL!

There would be way too much Apple DNA stuff in you then! :lol:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

Apple Online Store Says Virus = Windows

*cache.gawker.com/assets/images/4/2007/10/AppleVirusGi.jpg

sorce

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

iMav, you forgot to post the better image :D

*cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/10/AppleRipOffGi.jpg

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

:lol: didnt know abt it :lol: rip off :lol:

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

The iMac range, IMHO, is the most value-for-money one in the entire Macintosh line-up. The sexiest Mac with a 20" monster for a screen with the latest processor and stuff for only sixty thousand odd bucks. You gotta be kidding me!

I don't want a desktop. There is just no reason for me to buy one. But I still will - only because I want one of those on my desk. Those are mind blowing!

Top Bottom