The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

sakumar79

Technomancer
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

@aryayush, FYI...

I am using Opera 9.23, and in the About Me page, the three-pic collage gets loaded, but doesnt show full height, and similarly, the scrap entry "About me" loads fully but finally shows upto Birthday entry only... The album looks fine, and though it gave a warning when I tried the slideshow, it worked okay... In the blog also, only part of the pic showed up...

When I tried it on Opera 9, I did not even get the top menu for some reason...

Works fine on IE mostly though... In the blog page *www.aryayush.com/Aayush_Arya/Blog/Entries/2007/9/17_The_fun_kicks_off....html - the picture did not load correctly though and there was a brown background on a paper frame only visible...

Also, dont know if this is the intended behaviour, but in slideshow, if you move the mouse and hover it over the slide thumbnails, the slideshow pauses...

Arun

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

goobimama said:
I would recommend Rapidweaver to you. It has much more control over the website, including direct HTML and CSS manipulation (if you want to) while keeping in with simplicity. iWeb is not recommended for an experienced user like you...
Yeah, I need to edit the code right there in the program. That is important and iWeb does not allow that.
I did not use it for a long time but the interface of RapidWeaver looked quite ugly (plain?) to me when I launched it once so I never really bothered to check it out again. Guess I'll have to go back to it.

Does Coda have the auto-updating feature? That is, if I change one webpage in my 'Sites' folder and then upload the folder using Coda, will it only upload the files that have been changed or will it re-upload the whole thing? This is a make-or-break feature for me.

infra_red_dude said:
hey aayush, resize ur pic on the title page. its too big man!
Really? I quite liked the size of it. Anyone else feel the same way here?

@sakumar79
I am going to re-design the whole thing from scratch now. I will make sure it works fine with Safari, Opera and Firefox this time round. :)

goobimama

 Macboy

With Coda you upload just about whatever you want. Either update the whole site or just a page. But I wouldn't recommend Coda to you. There are NO wizzywig editing features in there save for CSS. If you are unfamiliar with hand coding, then its not recommended.

And remember, as non-standards compliant as it may be, IE still represents at least 50% of your users...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Be that as it may. I'll test my site in the three browsers I mentioned. If it's working fine in all three, chances are it will work just fine in Internet Explorer too. But I am definitely not going to test my site specifically in it. Bleagh!

goobimama

 Macboy

Chances are it will NOT work with IE. It is so non-standardized, even with IE7, that you have to produce some workarounds which can get pretty frustrating sometimes...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Damn! Microsuck!

YES! Yes yes yes!!

The 'Cut' option is disabled in the Finder in Leopard too. Apple rocks! Yay! :D

(And this is not sarcasm.)

@Milind
I think you'll be interested in looking at a nifty little widget on my Dashboard:

*img217.imageshack.us/img217/9067/latestonhdbitswm0.png

Pretty neat, isn't it? The latest and greatest in high definition, at the press of a single key. :p

Last edited:

sakumar79

Technomancer

@goobimama, chances actually are that it will work with IE in most cases... Even if you code it specifically with a Mac, IE is so non-standard that it allows "mistakes" in the code... In general, if a site is checked with IE only, chances are that it may not load correctly in other browsers; but if a site is not checked with IE, chances are that it will still load correctly in IE...
Note: This is NOT a good thing and my statement should NOT be interpreted that I am praising IE... I am actually finding fault with it.

Arun

goobimama

 Macboy

No sir. IE is known to have crappy CSS support.

I always visualise the web page in Photoshop, then code it in dreamweaver and now, Coda, then check it with a CSS validation, make sure there are zero errors, and then finally check it in IE and the page looks all weird. Then I have to figure out some workarounds to get it chopping... Check out any CSS book and you will find that they have a special mention for IE and its nonsense...

The sites work perfectly in Opera, Firefox and Safari, but not IE.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

goobimama said:
The sites work perfectly in Opera, Firefox and Safari, but not IE.

Check the site & code in MS Expression software for Windows. The same 100% standard & CSS complient engine for IE is coming next fall in IE 8 :)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Only ten years late in the game. Not too bad.

goobimama

 Macboy

I've been using Adobe's Lightroom lately (at least two months now), and I must ask for one of its features to be incorporated into iPhoto.

Non-destructive editing. Its so amazing. Original file remains intact, but every time you view it, the settings are applied. This is the way future. After all, what's the point of wasting all those gigaflops? We have come to a point where we have a lot of idle CPU cycles cause of these "core" thingies.

I know I can easily restore the original image from within iPhoto, but it does create additional files....sort of pseudo non-destructive.

Anyone tried Aperture here? Which one's better? (Of course gx will say lightroom. Prove me wrong GX!)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

Finally a package that i wud love to run on os x ... cant wait for this 1 ...

Mac Office 2008

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall

^^
Why would anyone want an commercial programs for Personal use PCs? You really don’t need Office softwares unless you are working on something/officially. MS office is a bloated need for personal use.

In my Laptop I’ve Office 2004 installed but in my PC, I don’t have any office softies installed. I don’t need them. Occasionally to open files, now we have various online versions for free….

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

goobimama said:
Anyone tried Aperture here? Which one's better? (Of course gx will say lightroom. Prove me wrong GX!)

The system requirement for Aperture is much higher then Lightroom.

Lightroom is better.

drgrudge said:
MS office is a bloated need for personal use.

Ahem....
now we have various online versions for free….

Can u do that sitting in a DTC Bus.

Last edited:

drgrudge

^^
Why do you want to have a office software to use DTC bus?

I won't even use iWork/MS Office with my Mac. I'll be happy with NeoOffice or OpenOffice. I just want to open .doc/.xls files.

And yeah.. I forgot. These days Wi-Fi is common so even that wont be a problem.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

well no 1 is saying u use it ... i said i want to use it ;)

simply elegant photography:

*images.apple.com/home/2007/images/ipodnano_hero_20070914.jpg

Last edited:

drgrudge

^^
I never said you shouldn't have office softwares. All that I asked was why would anyone want to buy commercial programs when you really don't need it?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

why si it so dificult for people to believe and accept that i need commercial programs ... the same is with infra; din; and HiH ... :confused: arre bhai log i have tried OSS and it did not suffice my needs ;) :)

drgrudge

^^
Ok. But I need to know (just for info) - What is there in MS Office which is not there in OSS office suites?

Top Bottom