The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

Heh. Good screenshots.

Who cares about Logic Pro though!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

infra_red_dude said:
NOT POSSIBLE! you said ur comp. is connected thru wired LAN. yaar, plz post things which are believable and be consistant
I connect the router to my computer vis RJ-45 connection cable, a.k.a LAN Cable & then i insert RJ-11 plug in this modem from the wall. All settings like Password & rest is saved in my router, I just connect this to my computer via that Lan cable & internet comes in.

Now this also has a wiFi module inbuilt, so i can send internet to another computer too...this is what i meant which is a bit hard for arya to understand.
you need to setup the ip address and be on the same workgroup for the other comp.
Network & Sharing center -> Enable File sharing, net sharing, Net discovery, public folder sharing.

Same workgroup is good but not a must here in Vista. My computer & his laptop were not in same workgroup but windows said it found a workgroup. Mine is "home" his is "friends". i connected to "friends" which changed the workgroup of my computer to "friends".

Then go to right hand side pane of Network & sharing center. WiFi was on in his laptop too, & simply searched to find his laptop "Computer". Some 2 mins config & we were sharing net :)

Is it really so hard to do?

technofunky expressed his appreciation for the Wi-Fi feature, he asked him what good would the Wi-Fi be in India. techno said that he has a Wi-Fi network at his home/office and this shut this guy up.
Yeah, still how good is WiFi? Is it available everywhere?

I have never seen any evidence of a Wi-Fi network.
Cos I don't use it, only when some friend comes with his laptop with WiFi inbuilt (centrino) then only I enable & use it, else I don't need it.

He is lying, plain and simple.
And thats the bottom line cos El Arya said so :D

i used to run vista basic on my laptop (now i'm back on XP) and XP pro on my desktop
XP was server right? Thats the incompatibility problem which I have also faced. Here in my case, my computer was running Vista ultimate & his was running home premium

..and by default File Sharing is enabled. Unlike Vista's search where you have to personally go through adding stuff to the index...
Actually no, just enable file sharing in network & sharing center then add the folder u want to share, simple.

Who cares about Logic Pro though!
Adobe Audition FTW :D

IRD said:
its definitely not as easy as GX said.
Try it with VIsta on desktop & vista (Home premium) on Lappy, & then tell here whether it is easy or not. It automatically configure IP as required. You can also see the network amp to diagnose as required.

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Well, OK. I might have been wrong. I most probably was wrong. He has used Wi-Fi so at least some of what he is saying must be true.

I still find it difficult to believe that someone would prefer not to use Wi-Fi when they already have everything that is required to use it. First guy I've seen who prefers wired over wireless and rough fonts over smooth ones. (Again, this explains why he loves Windows.)

And I still am almost certain that infra_red_dude and goobimama were right and he is wrong. I have only once used the Wi-Fi feature of Vista and and it had worked that one time. I set up the connection on my Mac (because, try as I might, I couldn't figure out how to do so using the reworked networking control panel in Vista) and started the network and then joined it from Vista (it had involved a lot of refreshing, disconnection and re-joining before I got it working). It was working fine and I could use the Internet on both notebooks. Once I disconnected though, I could not get it connected again no matter what I did. I don't know what went wrong.

Still, I don't have experience enough with Wi-Fi on Windows (and even on Mac OS X, for that matter) to comment on it. But if I had to choose sides here, I know which one I would choose. Milind uses it on a regular basis and the behaviour he described is just the kind that I expect from Windows. Inconsistent and unreliable. (Of course, I would even blindly side with Milind when I have to choose between him and someone like iMav or gx_saurav, but that's beside the point here. :p)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

aryayush said:
I still find it difficult to believe that someone would prefer not to use Wi-Fi when they already have everything that is required to use it. First guy I've seen who prefers wired over wireless and rough fonts over smooth ones.
Wired is cheap, easier to maintain (just a Rs 40 LAN Cable), Wired gives me speed of 1 gbps with 865GBF's Gigabit lan when connected to another laptop or computer having gigabit Lan. Wired is easier to configure then Wireless, just plug one end of Crossover lan cable to my computer's LAN Card (onboard) & 2nd in the friends laptop sitting on the table (onboard) & Windows Vista automatically finds different workgroups & offers to join the same workgroup as his, done. He connects to my computer via lan & we transfer files....done.

I use WiFi only when there is no LAN Cable or wire cannot be used.

WiFi is good, but only where it makes sense. I have a desktop so WiFi here is useless, when sister wants to use Internet on her Laptop, then only I share net via WiFi for her, else it is disabled. Why turn on something which I don't use.

I have already mentioned that I have a CRT Monitor & Cleartype in IE 7 looks bad to me here. Cleartype all over the screen is not required cos the UI font is Segoe UI. On an LCD Monitor, I do turn it on where it makes sense to turn it on.

Milind uses it on a regular basis and the behaviour he described is just the kind that I expect from Windows. Inconsistent and unreliable. (Of course, I would even blindly side with Milind when I have to choose between him and someone like iMav or gx_saurav, but that's beside the point here. :p)
Your bias overcomes your rational thinking. Milind uses it, I wonder whats his hardware setup. Cos here, I hardly had anything to configure...

Oh, I had a CCNA on my side, i must add :D

goobimama

 Macboy

Aha! So I quote you, "Wired is easier to configure then Wireless". That means that wireless is in fact more difficult to setup than LAN. Not the case with OS X. And anyway, even I always "Create" a wireless network from my Mac. For the love of our President, I can't figure out how to create networks with vista that work...

Anyway, I care about logic pro. I was in fact wanting to get logic pro, visited the website, saw that the latest version is 8, and then was searching google for reviews. Nothing! I'm like WTH! Then I went to TUAW only to find that it has just been released...

----

And since when has wireless been ever so slow? Its more than adequate to transfer files (except for maybe large 4GB files). I don't know why people feel that Wireless is for laptops only. It shouldn't be. But then again, with the mess that PCs create, one more wire won't do any much damage....

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

goobimama said:
Aha! So I quote you, "Wired is easier to configure then Wireless".

Ya, plug the wire, thats it.

That means that wireless is in fact more difficult to setup than LAN

Define difficult. If it means clicking "Connect wirelessly" & "Search for computers in this network" then it is very tough :D

goobimama

 Macboy

One a different note, I had gone to the office late last night to do some work. Half way through the job, I was browsing youtube! Well, the net was free and super fast. The videos just 'play'.

Anyway, I was looking at how some of the earlier keynotes of OS X and stuff, and realised that we take a lot of things for granted. The applause for Expose is too much. I think I'll make another dedicated trip at 2am and use something like tubesock to download all those vids....make a small little collection.

Where is "connect wirelessly" can I ask? (and I really want to know)

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Here it is

*i15.tinypic.com/4tf5swo.jpg

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

no GX you are wrong! wid public folder sharing you can share only the "shared items" like shared documents etc. for all other files you can't do it! believe me... i've done it, on xp, vista and even linux. its not simple as jus finding the wifi device and pairing it like BT, enable sharing and its shared. and NO XP was not the server. me aint talking abt client server setup.

the screen shot you've shown is fine for public networks. u can connect to the internal over a non-encrypted wifi network but not share files (other than the "shared items folders") widout setting some things up. believe it OR NOT! this setup is commonly used in public wifi hotspots (barista, CCD, airports etc.) coz there u jus can't set things up. hence what GX is talking about is this, which is there is every OS. but sharing private files IS NOT POSSIBLE widout setting some network parameters.

and you can't dynamically change workgroups! wid public folder sharing, you'll still be on ur workgroup and ur fren on his workgroup.

btw, u said something about hafing 2 connections wid a modem (of corz only using one at a time). i cud never convince the bsnl or airtel guys to do this for my dad (sometime ago in chandigarh). they DON'T support such a thing! (mebbe the "engineer" or whoever, was ur fren). so now, if u wanna shift from airtel to bsnl, what do you do u said?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

infra_red_dude said:
no GX you are wrong! wid public folder sharing you can share only the "shared items" like shared documents etc. for all other files you can't do it!

Who said all files? Just one folder E:\Downloads is shared publically, thats it.
but sharing private files IS NOT POSSIBLE widout setting some network parameters.

I just share one folder, e:\downloads, right click -> properties ->share...thats it, & it shares :)

and you can't dynamically change workgroups! wid public folder sharing, you'll still be on ur workgroup and ur fren on his workgroup.

i cud never convince the bsnl or airtel guys to do this for my dad (sometime ago in chandigarh). they DON'T support such a thing! (mebbe the "engineer" or whoever, was ur fren). so now, if u wanna shift from airtel to bsnl, what do you do u said?

The Airtel guy came 2 years ago & set the Beetel modem. I noted the settings. He said "Any DSL Modem with USB or Lan"

Then few months back I got Dataone home 500 plan for night downloading. They gave me the modem shown in dataone thread in chit-chat section. The engg configured it according to dataone & i made another profile in the router for Airtel.

When I need to connect, I just go to modem & select which profile to use, & reboot the modem, done.

Oh! I must add, we only pay Rs 200 for the Home 500 plan :D.(don't ask how, government benefits"

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

gx_saurav said:
Who said all files? Just one folder E:\Downloads is shared publically, thats it.
gx_saurav said:
We were sharing files...
abe kabhi to kuch clearly bola kar. where did u mention in the above post that it was public sharing???!!! how do i kno when you don't mention anyting??!! as i said, public sharing is possible. its as easy in linux (newer distros only wid updated samba) as it is on any windows! yaar, when u post something don't leave out details like these. coz tho they seem small words they significantly change the meaning of the whole post!

gx_saurav said:
gx_saurav said:
Mine is "home" his is "friends". i connected to "friends" which changed the workgroup of my computer to "friends".
no comments! :rolleyes: clarity of language is utmost important when you are trying to convey something to someone!. you are contradicting urself!

gx_saurav said:
....Then BSNL guy came & he made another profile in router or modem or whatever u call it....
gx_saurav said:
....The engg configured it according to dataone & i made another profile in the router for Airtel...
now i'm confused! did the modem originally haf airtel or bsnl settings? coz bsnl guy came and made bsnl profile and you made an airtel profile! then which connection settings did the modem haf in first place??!!!! neither??!! consistancy, my friend... you need that :) thats why i said, bsnl ppl don't support this and won't DO it for you. you'll hafta configure urself in situations like these :)

edit: but i'd still like to compare wid the mac. how easy or difficult it is to share files (not jus the public folderz).

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

goobimama said:
One a different note, I had gone to the office late last night to do some work. Half way through the job, I was browsing youtube! Well, the net was free and super fast. The videos just 'play'.

Anyway, I was looking at how some of the earlier keynotes of OS X and stuff, and realised that we take a lot of things for granted. The applause for Expose is too much. I think I'll make another dedicated trip at 2am and use something like tubesock to download all those vids....make a small little collection.
Already have it. No need to make the trip. :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

infra_red_dude said:
now i'm confused! did the modem originally haf airtel or bsnl settings? coz bsnl guy came and made bsnl profile and you made an airtel profile! then which connection settings did the modem haf in first place??!!!! neither??!!

2 years ago Airtel guy came & configured Beetel 220BX modem. I noted those settings he configures & the values etc.

Later I also got dataone connection. The BSNL guy came & configure the dataone modem according to BSNL

After he left I configured the dataone modem myself with the settings airtel guy entered 2 years ago which i had in a text file saved.

When I have to use it, I just enable that profile in router/modem & I connect.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall

Apple "Mum is no longer the word" press briefing in London next week

*www.engadget.com/2007/09/13/apple-mum-is-no-longer-the-word-press-briefing-in-london/

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Have they gone completely crazy! What is this, a plan to take over the world!?

WOW, man! Three JobsNotes in a space of less than two full months. Awesome! (But my studies are getting hampered. :p)

Oh, I see. iPhone in Europe. :D

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy

Hmm...I wonder if Jobs will be there though... I just hope they at least let us know when exactly the iPhone is coming to India....Early 2008 just doesn't cut it...

praka123

left this forum longback

when will iphone "enabled" in India -i am looking through that spammer(regular) thread where he states his price :p
: perplexedmaybebecozofhoneybeebrandeebotaltakenalone : :?

drgrudge

praka123 -
iPhone unlocked in 42 countries and 90 local carriers. It includes India (Airtel). :D

PS : Of course, it's illegal to do so.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

No, it isn't. Unlocking a cellphone is not an illegal act in any country.

This just in. This event is being held just a week ahead of Apple Expo, Apple's largest event in Europe. This just keeps getting better. :D

We now have two Apple events within a fortnight.

The iTunes Store is coming to India within two months.

Don't ask me how. JW&W. :D

Last edited:

drgrudge

^^
Thats great! :D

What's JW&W.

Top Bottom